Sponsored

Before Maverick, what were you looking at?

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since I paid off my car I had been in the market for a cheap used cash truck just to have something for light hauling and doing projects around the house etc. Used car market is of course complete shite so after nearly a year of searching and only finding overpriced garbage (and buying a 98 Ranger that was a disaster) I decided to get a Maverick. Only other trucks anywhere near it in price were the most basey of base model Rangers, Tacomas, Colorados, etc so the Maverick has the bang-for-buck factor by a long shot.
Sponsored

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
Jeep Gladiator or 2022 Frontier were leading contenders but Maverick is $15-20k less than Gladiator, which needs a lift and 35s or 37s to look right. We currently drive 25 miles round trip at least 2x per day with a kid in high school and drive weekend road trips going to travel baseball tournament. The Maverick will easily be our most economical vehicle, even with the FX4 and 4K packages.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nothing

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Subaru Forester. I own one with 160k that will go to my 16 year old daughter. I' thought I'd get another but then came the Maverick.

66six

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius / 22 Ford Mavrick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Prius and the Maverick really sold me on the gas mileage ... My Prius is great but I hope the Maverick is better ,,,
Ford Maverick Before Maverick, what were you looking at? IMG_7692

Sponsored

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BMW 3 series, probably used. Not the strangest cross shop on this thread but I never even considered a truck until I saw Doug DeMuro’s review.

Chrysler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Before I saw a random YouTube video of the Maverick on June 10th, only 2 days after the official reveal, I was going to get an suv when my current car died. I was looking at a Audi Q5 or Kia Telluride.

Then this little truck came to me as if Ford saw me at Home Depot loading bags mulch into my cars trunk(it would only take me 3 trips to get the 12 bags I usually need) and made a truck for me. Glad the timing worked out and I will now save well over $20k and get a truck!

Long story short. What were you originally planning on buying before the Mav was presented to you on a silver platter?
This may surprise a few... But a ram 1500 5.7 4x4 2017 sport. Our Ram gets 22mpg average. The whole notion of the maverick people buying for fuel economy.... Well, I will agree it's decent mpg but a full size can be just as efficient, within reason. We are talking about a full size truck with a V8, and it would be 3-4mpg less then a maverick supposed combined mpg. The used market is a joke right now so that's why I went maverick. It will look like a squatted truck compared to our 2" lift Ram but I really truly on need a vehicle to go Ice fishing and occasional deer in the back. Maverick fits my needs. Will be putting a small lift kit 1.5-2" area for better snow clearance.

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Ranger and Ridgeline. Would have bought the RL but it had one issue that completely turned me away. Saw the Mav about a month after I bought my Ranger. I like the Ranger but I think I’ll love the Mav.

Deleted member 1370

I was looking at a base model tacoma or ranger with the RWD and extended cab but the maverick is a better deal for me than the tacoma by a long shot. Power, towing, usability, size and parking etc over the 2.7 they have. Which isnt a bad engine just for how much you pay you dont get much. The current ranger was a thought but its too expensive for what you get as well. The infotainment system on the XL base trim for how much the vehicle costs is laughable. Im glad the maverick came around though, as a produce clerk that needs a truck on occasion for home diy or towing ability to move a uhaul trailer and besides that need a dailiy driver the maverick ecoboost awd suits my needs perfectly.

Sponsored

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2014 Ford Fusion
This truck will be for my dad who wants a small high MPG vehicle with light off road capabilities.

I was looking at the Ford Ranger, Bronco Sport, and Mazda CX-5

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Originally a low mileage 2017-2019 Chevy Volt. More recently, a new 2022 Rivian R1S, although I have no clue how I'd afford a 84k electric SUV, much less when it would be delivered.

Although, I did briefly look at the Jeep Wrangler 4Xe when it was announced. Never quite got a clear answer as to what its overall mpg was and just moved on from there.

Last edited:

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Back in 2019 I bought my current truck, Ranger XLT, 4X4, Locking Rear, and Black Out Package for 28K. Sticker was 36K There was a Ford rebate, and I am under D plan. Now it is worth 33K and I am getting the Maverick since I dont haul as much and would like the better fuel mileage. Really I dont need anything so this works out for me where I can lower my payment substantially and have more nice comforts inside. So I would either stay with the Ranger or get this Maverick.

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ranger but optioned how I would want it was mid 40s which was more than I was willing to throw to the rust around here.
Sponsored