Sponsored

Anyone having rust issues with their Maverick?

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Guess now i know the body of the Maverick is not aluminum like the F150's. Undercoating is probably in my plans if I ever get my Maverick.
Aluminum won't rust but it WILL corrode just as bad if not worse as steel.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
Aluminum won't rust but it WILL corrode just as bad if not worse as steel.
Hopefully FORD didn't go cheap and not anodize the aluminum.

Transplant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good morning. I'd like to look into your rust concerns on my end. Could you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer to get started?
Did you want to get in touch with me also? I live in Nova Scotia where the roads are covered in salt for 5 months of the year and my 3 month old truck is already showing rust on the seams of the subframe without seeing a winter yet. These spots are right under the front corner of the drivers and passenger doors, they’re the only parts of the underbody that don’t have a shield over them so they’re easy to find.

This should concern every single Ford Maverick owner and make every single potential owner of a Maverick think twice. I work in the aerospace industry as a Materials Engineer, I deal with metal treatments for corrosion protection on a daily basis and I can confirm for all that this is a significant issue for long term viability of this truck.

Ford Maverick Anyone having rust issues with their Maverick? 5DAD24FB-815D-4ADF-A149-F98B6456D501

Ford Maverick Anyone having rust issues with their Maverick? 26E38ABA-7CAA-470A-8CC7-4F577DC7E318

Sponsored

BarrelProofMav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT / Catcus / Lux / FX4 / 4K
Ford has been working on the rust problem since the 60's when industry designed machines to made thin sheet metal. Apparently, Ford believes surface rust is acceptable.
Just curious, I went out to see what a 2016 RAV4 undercarriage looks like after 6 years of Pennsylvania roads.
Have always avoided used vehicles with any history of being in PA, NY.

AnthonyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes it is. Just finished repairing mine with PPF after touching up with paint. The rears were much worse than the fronts. Only 5 months in.
Just checked. Fronts were just starting to rub so I loosened the bolts up and pulled the flare out a bit, then tightened it back up and there is now a 32nd of an inch of clearance.

the rears are worse. Going to do the same to those tomorrow, but there isn’t much wiggleroom after loosening the bolts. So I’ll trim the edge of the flap where it hits the paint with an Xacto knife. It’ll then have a gap and won’t touch paint.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you want to get in touch with me also? I live in Nova Scotia where the roads are covered in salt for 5 months of the year and my 3 month old truck is already showing rust on the seams of the subframe without seeing a winter yet. These spots are right under the front corner of the drivers and passenger doors, they’re the only parts of the underbody that don’t have a shield over them so they’re easy to find.

This should concern every single Ford Maverick owner and make every single potential owner of a Maverick think twice. I work in the aerospace industry as a Materials Engineer, I deal with metal treatments for corrosion protection on a daily basis and I can confirm for all that this is a significant issue for long term viability of this truck.

5DAD24FB-815D-4ADF-A149-F98B6456D501.jpeg

26E38ABA-7CAA-470A-8CC7-4F577DC7E318.jpeg
Hmmm, that does not look good at all for a vehicle much less than a year old. If that was my truck I would sandblast that area, rust reform it, prime it and put a coating of bed liner and undercoat it.

Of course, as a Materials Engineer you are aware of the unstoppable desire of steel to return to its natural state, rust. But man, that sure was quick without road salt accelerating the process.

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Eco Lux FX4 4K CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Treating metal and addressing rust is 50+ years old. To see this - in 2022 - should be embarrassing. Has nothing to do with a “$20,000 truck” or anything else. $10 wrenches get better treatment and show less rust than shown here. Living on the coast of FL - not happy to see this.

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick is not the same as a sport Trac. Sport Trac has a lot of plastic body panels and is built on a frame. Sport Trac is a very good vehicle made by Ford!
and Maverick is NOT THE SAME as the old maverick....50 years between them.

Sponsored

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The second day of ownership I decided to get ahead of the FORD rust issues by coating every crack and orifice on the truck. It's low cost and works to prevent standing water and coats the metal to seal from corrosion. About $9.00 a can and I used two cans to do the bed, rockers, rear taillight area and doors.
Can you use that spray to coat everything under the truck ?

Leon King

First Name
Cesario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
I was using a protectant on the rocker panels when I saw rust already on the pinch welds and exposed painted surfaces underneath. 8 months old and less than 2000 miles. Never driven in the rain or snow.
mav4.jpg

mav5.jpg
Horrible, a major turn around for the Maverick.

OP
OP

Camlt12010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford Escape
Engine
Undecided
Magic 8 ball says :
Magic 8 ball says : Unlikely.
Hmmm, that does not look good at all for a vehicle much less than a year old. If that was my truck I would sandblast that area, rust reform it, prime it and put a coating of bed liner and undercoat it.

Of course, as a Materials Engineer you are aware of the unstoppable desire of steel to return to its natural state, rust. But man, that sure was quick without road salt accelerating the process.
Yes when you consider I did not drive it in the snow or rain for I have another car I used. Most of the miles on this were put on during the 1st month or so.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
Can you use that spray to coat everything under the truck ?
I coated everything I could see because I didn't see a need to remove all the skid covers. I did spray in every hole in tailgate and removed all the plugs in the bed and sprayed the inside of the outer skin of the truck bed. The fluid sticks well to all surfaces and stays in place and unlike tar it's an easy cleanup.
Sponsored