Sponsored

Anyone having rust issues with their Maverick?

OP
OP

Camlt12010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford Escape
Engine
Undecided
Might be time to invest in some RockBlokz mudflaps. You would be surprised how much crap just from the road gets sandblasted into the underside and especially to the driver’s side rear bed corner too.

Coupled with thin paint I am seeing on some areas underneath, gravel/dirt/sand from the road sandblasting the underside, and northeast humidity, I can see rust starting potentially like this. Good luck on getting it fixed and definitely consider those mudflaps if you don’t have them too.
The first thing I did when I got i home from the dealer is put mud flaps on. I had the flaps before the truck. But they have nothing to do with what's happening here. These areas appear that it just was not prepped and painted properly.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Camlt12010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford Escape
Engine
Undecided
Warranty "...warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion..."
Perforated means holes.
Paint warranty. Defective workmanship . The rear areas are fine.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Paint warranty. Defective workmanship . The rear areas are fine.
Our Ford Explorer friends would like a word about the paint warranty as well...

Ford Maverick Anyone having rust issues with their Maverick? 1656357988196

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

Transplant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless you’re planning to keep it 20+ years. I wouldn’t worry about under carriage rust. My 18 year old sport-Trac has had undercarriage rust for years and years. No miles in the body and no issues because of it. Spent its entire life outside, not garaged, in the Midwest.
You’re in the Midwest… you have no idea what the east coast can do to an unprotected vehicle in just a few years. Your 20 year old cars have less rust than our 2 year old cars!

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Might be time to invest in some RockBlokz mudflaps. You would be surprised how much crap just from the road gets sandblasted into the underside and especially to the driver’s side rear bed corner too.

Coupled with thin paint I am seeing on some areas underneath, gravel/dirt/sand from the road sandblasting the underside, and northeast humidity, I can see rust starting potentially like this. Good luck on getting it fixed and definitely consider those mudflaps if you don’t have them too.
I pulled my tail lights to replace the reverse bulbs with an LED and was horrified at all the crap that was thrown up from the tires. Piss poor design that will rust these panels from the inside without most even realizing until it's way too late.

OP
OP

Camlt12010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford Escape
Engine
Undecided
I pulled my tail lights to replace the reverse bulbs with an LED and was horrified at all the crap that was thrown up from the tires. Piss poor design that will rust these panels from the inside without most even realizing until it's way too late.
Mud flaps were put on immediately after I got it 1700 miles should not be. My 07 corolla dont look like that.

Sponsored

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
Is this something that can be prevented with undercoating? After seeing a couple of similar posts, I'm considering having this done. Will try the Ford dealer first, in case there's any warranty concerns.
Don't allow any undercoating spayed over rust areas. The rust will continue to grow.

Hybrid Nut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Guess now i know the body of the Maverick is not aluminum like the F150's. Undercoating is probably in my plans if I ever get my Maverick.

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But there is a paint warranty as well. I would think it would be covered under paint failure.
Some info on what is and isn't covered under Ford warranty relating to rust:

"Underbody surface rust on frame or chassis components" is not covered under warranty.​
"The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust and deterioration of paint, trim, upholstery, and other appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements."​
"Corrosion damage repairs are covered in the New Vehicle Warranty period if: Body sheet metal has corrosion damage without perforation and is not the result of abnormal usage and/or extreme environmental conditions." 3 years or 36,000 miles for Ford Cars & Light Trucks​
"Rust damage resulting in perforation (holes) in body sheet metal panels is covered for: 5 years/unlimited miles for Cars & Light Trucks."​

For aluminum panels: "Corrosion damage is covered for 5yr/unlimited miles with NO requirement for perforation."​

So if it is underbody surface rust, there is no coverage. If there is a paint issue on body panels (not due to damage), and this causes rust, that is warrantable.

OP
OP

Camlt12010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford Escape
Engine
Undecided
Some info on what is and isn't covered under Ford warranty relating to rust:

"Underbody surface rust on frame or chassis components" is not covered under warranty.​
"The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust and deterioration of paint, trim, upholstery, and other appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements."​
"Corrosion damage repairs are covered in the New Vehicle Warranty period if: Body sheet metal has corrosion damage without perforation and is not the result of abnormal usage and/or extreme environmental conditions." 3 years or 36,000 miles for Ford Cars & Light Trucks​
"Rust damage resulting in perforation (holes) in body sheet metal panels is covered for: 5 years/unlimited miles for Cars & Light Trucks."​

For aluminum panels: "Corrosion damage is covered for 5yr/unlimited miles with NO requirement for perforation."​

So if it is underbody surface rust, there is no coverage. If there is a paint issue on body panels (not due to damage), and this causes rust, that is warrantable.
I know all of that. This looks like it was not prepared and painted properly in these areas. This in no way should be like this in this time period and little usage. This probably was already starting at delivery.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
Ford has been working on the rust problem since the 60's when industry designed machines to made thin sheet metal. Apparently, Ford believes surface rust is acceptable.

2021 Ford F-150 Owners Are Already Facing Rust, Corrosion Issues (fordauthority.com)

Why Is Ford Telling 2021 F-150 Owners That Rust Is Ok? (powernationtv.com)

Those are 70k trucks. How do you think a Maverick will do in salt belt?

Just curious, I went out to see what a 2016 RAV4 undercarriage looks like after 6 years of Pennsylvania roads. Notice everything is factory coated and no rust hardware. How do they do that????

Ford Maverick Anyone having rust issues with their Maverick? IMG_2134.JPG
Ford Maverick Anyone having rust issues with their Maverick? IMG_2135.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: