First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We're hearing reports of the hybrid version of the Maverick getting around 40mpg in the city. Are these actual tested figures or just estimates by Ford?
Sponsored

ericjtsang

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 540i
Estimated by Ford, which I think if they're willing to stick their necks out for 40, it would be highly unlikely they won't hit that for EPA. Real world is another story

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Estimated by Ford, which I think if they're willing to stick their necks out for 40, it would be highly unlikely they won't hit that for EPA. Real world is another story
Yes..I'd like to see some independent testing. I'm hoping before long that production models are released to the automotive press for full driving tests and reviews.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2014 Ford Fusion
For what is worth, Ford's sticker MPG has always been decently accurate. My F150 says 21-26 and hold and behold, my Average 23 MPG, my highway has been 26 as advertised. Same story with my Fusion and the Mach-E range seems to be better than advertised.

Yardtruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2006 Sienna 2016
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's my thinking. They know how EPA tests and can duplicate it internally. Cannot believe they'd state 40 mpg if their tests showed say, 37 mpg. That would be an unforced public relations error.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was also looking at the Hyundai Santa Cruz but their mpg pales by comparison.

"With the standard 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and all-wheel drive (AWD), the Santa Cruz is rated to get up to 21 mpg in the city, 27 mpg on the highway, and 23 mpg combined. Front-wheel drive (FWD) brings the highway figure down to 26 mpg."

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
For what is worth, Ford's sticker MPG has always been decently accurate. My F150 says 21-26 and hold and behold, my Average 23 MPG, my highway has been 26 as advertised. Same story with my Fusion and the Mach-E range seems to be better than advertised.
I'll second that. My Ranger is actually a bit better than the ratings, and my previous 2013 5.0L F-150 was dead on the mark highway, and 2 mpgs better in town.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was also looking at the Hyundai Santa Cruz but their mpg pales by comparison.

"With the standard 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and all-wheel drive (AWD), the Santa Cruz is rated to get up to 21 mpg in the city, 27 mpg on the highway, and 23 mpg combined. Front-wheel drive (FWD) brings the highway figure down to 26 mpg."
Yeah, the Hyundai 2.5 naturally aspirated option is a total fail IMO, as the Ford hybrid is better in pretty much every way. The 275hp turbocharged option w/ the 8-speed wet DCT on the other hand is still appealing, and gets the same highway fuel economy, which is where I spent the most of my time anyway. I prefer it to the Ford turbo powertrain.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Yup...my 2013 Insight is rated 41 city/ 44 hwy, but my city is more like 30mpg,. I have about 97k mileage, and it's not like I drive crazy.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup...my 2013 Insight is rated 41 city/ 44 hwy, but my city is more like 30mpg,. I have about 97k mileage, and it's not like I drive crazy.
Dude I think something is wrong with your car

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
We're hearing reports of the hybrid version of the Maverick getting around 40mpg in the city. Are these actual tested figures or just estimates by Ford?
Just Estimated.
but for reference the Ford Escape with virtually the exact same Hybrid system gets 44 City 37 Highway and 41 Combined.
I think k the Maverick hybrid will EASILY do 40+mpg city. 35 highway and 38+ Combined

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Bronco Black Diamond
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just Estimated.
but for reference the Ford Escape with virtually the exact same Hybrid system gets 44 City 37 Highway and 41 Combined.
I think k the Maverick hybrid will EASILY do 40+mpg city. 35 highway and 38+ Combined
I agree. You can extrapolate from the Ford Escape. The main difference in this mature design (Maverick transaxle is the 4th gen I think) is that Ford re-designed, in-house, one of the electric motors to be something like 20% more efficient... and lighter to boot.

edit to add link:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-motor-technology/

Last edited:

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I agree. You can extrapolate from the Ford Escape. The main difference in this mature design (Maverick transaxle is the 4th gen I think) is that Ford re-designed, in-house, one of the electric motors to be something like 20% more efficient... and lighter to boot.

edit to add link:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-motor-technology/
Yes. The Escape is the 4th generation of its Hybrid system.
1st Escape 2005-2007
2nd Fusion/ Escape 2008-2011
3rd CMax/Fusion/ Escape 2012-2018
4th Escape/Maverick 2020-

the gearing and all of that is the same on escape. But yes the Inverter and Motor are improved over the Escape.
So yes the numbers could be better than what I’m guessing.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dude I think something is wrong with your car
*rotflmao* Yeah, there are a lot of things wrong with my car :) They start with it being a shit model year. From what I understand, Honda put out some not so great vehicles between 2010 and 2015.

I bought it used at 17k miles, and bought the extended warrantee. I'm glad as ~bleep~ I did, because the engine has a design flaw that causes the piston seals to go bad (or something to that effect), resulting in an oil burning shit show. Thanks to the warrantee I had the pistons and rings replaced by Honda two years ago, but the engine has never been the same.

Plus, this things has the highest propensity for tires to blow on potholes. I've gone through 5 tires in 5 years. I'm not sure if it's been a spate of bad luck, or if there is some kind of a design flaw involved. I'm 42, and I've never experienced anything like it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just Estimated.
How does the hybrid offer any benefit (increased fuel economy) on the highway?
Sponsored