Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
Hello folks-

I did a few well controlled tests on my 2022 Hybrid Maverick to explore the features of the different modes. I now drive in slippery mode ALL THE TIME. If top MPG matters to you; maybe you will too.

I have a ScanGauge III attached to the OBDII port and see data in real time from the Maverick's sensors.

On the same road traveling the same direction for all tests with the HV battery between 41.5 and 42.0% for all tests, I got up to 28 MPH, put it in Neutral, coasted to 25 MPH then without touching either pedal, put in back in drive. This was to measure the amount of regenerative charging. I coasted from 25 mph to 15 mph and recorded the results.

Eco Mode: 34A (7.5kW) at 25 MPH
Eco Mode: 15A (3.3kW) at 15 MPH

Tow Mode: 34A (7.5kW) at 25 MPH
Tow Mode: 15A (3.3kW) at 15 MPH

Sport Mode: 34A (7.5kW) at 25 MPH
Sport Mode: 15A (3.3kW) at 15 MPH

Normal Mode: 22A (4.8kW) at 25 MPH
Normal Mode: 10A (2.2kW) at 15 MPH

Slippery Mode: 12A (2.6kW) at 25 MPH
Slippery Mode: 3A (0.66kW) at 15 MPH

Slippery is best if you want to coast the longest distance without using fuel.
Slippery has given me +10 MPG over Eco in slow rolling conditions such as California freeways at rush hour.

Other observations:
Normal, Eco, Slippery allow EV driving.

Tow/Haul and Sport DO NOT allow EV driving, but will "idle stop" while you are not moving.

Normal, Eco, Slippery modes force the gas engine on when the battery drops below 30% state of charge.

Tow and Sport modes I could not get the battery to 30% because the engine was always running!

There is hysteresis in charging. Sometimes.

In Normal, Eco, Slippery it can start and stop the engine at any battery percent down to 30.01%. Once you hit 30% and below (can briefly hit 29% for example) then the engine must run until the battery exceeds 40%.

In Normal, Eco, and Slippery the HV battery likes to stay in the 30's and 40's for percents. Rarely over 50% SOC. Almost never over 55%.

In Tow/Haul and Sport modes the battery quickly charges to 70%! Presumably so you have more juice at the ready for hill climbing, and presumably, drag racing.

Beware- from 30% to 70% you have full regen braking from the brake pedal, which is 145 Amps (32 kW). At 70.2% my regen brake limit went from 32 kW to 7 kW in one step. Surprised me it wasn't a taper, but this was day one of data collecting.

-John

Sponsored

Mightybeast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Interesting detailed research. So, based on your expertise what MPG you get? Personally, driving for a year on neutral down the hill to hyper mile I killed an engine OF Chevy Aveo With 40K MILES. it's designed for short and small distances, or when engine is not running. That I was explained.
Also please reply with model of your tires and gas you used.
Thank you

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
Stock tires and factory gas!
Day 11 of ownership.

Flat, sea level, Slippery Mode Evening commute. Slow speeds.
Ford Maverick Tested: Slippery Mode is best for highest MPG (in Hybrid Maverick) 32E719F0-2827-47C7-87BE-6A32B91676E2

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello folks-

I did a few well controlled tests on my 2022 Hybrid Maverick to explore the features of the different modes. I now drive in slippery mode ALL THE TIME. If top MPG matters to you; maybe you will too.

I have a ScanGauge III attached to the OBDII port and see data in real time from the Maverick's sensors.

On the same road traveling the same direction for all tests with the HV battery between 41.5 and 42.0% for all tests, I got up to 28 MPH, put it in Neutral, coasted to 25 MPH then without touching either pedal, put in back in drive. This was to measure the amount of regenerative charging. I coasted from 25 mph to 15 mph and recorded the results.

Eco Mode: 34A (7.5kW) at 25 MPH
Eco Mode: 15A (3.3kW) at 15 MPH

Tow Mode: 34A (7.5kW) at 25 MPH
Tow Mode: 15A (3.3kW) at 15 MPH

Sport Mode: 34A (7.5kW) at 25 MPH
Sport Mode: 15A (3.3kW) at 15 MPH

Normal Mode: 22A (4.8kW) at 25 MPH
Normal Mode: 10A (2.2kW) at 15 MPH

Slippery Mode: 12A (2.6kW) at 25 MPH
Slippery Mode: 3A (0.66kW) at 15 MPH

Slippery is best if you want to coast the longest distance without using fuel.
Slippery has given me +10 MPG over Eco in slow rolling conditions such as California freeways at rush hour.

Other observations:
Normal, Eco, Slippery allow EV driving.

Tow/Haul and Sport DO NOT allow EV driving, but will "idle stop" while you are not moving.

Normal, Eco, Slippery modes force the gas engine on when the battery drops below 30% state of charge.

Tow and Sport modes I could not get the battery to 30% because the engine was always running!

There is hysteresis in charging. Sometimes.

In Normal, Eco, Slippery it can start and stop the engine at any battery percent down to 30.01%. Once you hit 30% and below (can briefly hit 29% for example) then the engine must run until the battery exceeds 40%.

In Normal, Eco, and Slippery the HV battery likes to stay in the 30's and 40's for percents. Rarely over 50% SOC. Almost never over 55%.

In Tow/Haul and Sport modes the battery quickly charges to 70%! Presumably so you have more juice at the ready for hill climbing, and presumably, drag racing.

Beware- from 30% to 70% you have full regen braking from the brake pedal, which is 145 Amps (32 kW). At 70.2% my regen brake limit went from 32 kW to 7 kW in one step. Surprised me it wasn't a taper, but this was day one of data collecting.

-John

Please include in your test how low in each mode affects things in particular HVB battery charge. It appears to me that in STD and ECON the battery will rapidly become charged to the point that engine braking is activated and at what SOC. When coasting in low in std and econ (I have never used low in any other mode and if you change modes low is automatically deactivated) starting at 35-45 engine braking is quite loud. The manual states low can be initiated at any speed and the Regen braking goes to max with apparently not activating the hydraulic brakes. I find low great to use in stop and go very little brake pedal driving and to decelerate from 50mph without touching brake pedal. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
I will do some tests in Low next.

You have 32kW ( 43 brake horsepower ) of regenerative power up until 70% charge. Then it looks like it drops dramatically. It would be at this point engine brake would begin. What really happens is, the wheels are still turning the traction motor acting as a generator, but instead of the kilowatts going into the battery; they are sent to the generator, which then instead of generating power, spins the engine as a big air compressor. Basically "dead load" to save your brake pads.

P.S. what I meant to say is, at 70% the engine brake NEEDS to start. It can start sooner, probably in Tow/Haul if it thinks you are going downhill or if you are riding the brake pedal.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will do some tests in Low next.

You have 32kW ( 43 brake horsepower ) of regenerative power up until 70% charge. Then it looks like it drops dramatically. It would be at this point engine brake would begin. What really happens is, the wheels are still turning the traction motor acting as a generator, but instead of the kilowatts going into the battery; they are sent to the generator, which then instead of generating power, spins the engine as a big air compressor. Basically "dead load" to save your brake pads.

P.S. what I meant to say is, at 70% the engine brake NEEDS to start. It can start sooner, probably in Tow/Haul if it thinks you are going downhill or if you are riding the brake pedal.
I understand the absolute need for reserve battery capacity to hold Regen braking but expected more like 80% charge before engine braking but had no idea. Of course at 90% charge the rate of current acceptance would be significantly reduced. Dang need a larger battery but where is the lithium?

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
Well, it did not stop charging at 70% but the rate of charging was slashed 80%, down to what you get coasting without a foot on the brake. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting. I always felt like Slippery's off-throttle regen was between Normal and Eco. Or maybe it's just how much it retards the throttle input that sits in the middle of those two. But I suppose that'd explain why some people were getting best MPG results in slippery.

Personally I usually drive in Eco (for smoothing the cruise control hysteresis) and Low (to automatically hit max regen without going into friction brakes) while just balancing the pedal if I want 'coast'. Fun fact: if you get the coast juuust right it won't even say either 'Charging' or 'Electric' on the Lariat dash.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not when you are courteous, mindful of others, and test your car in an empty stadium parking lot on a Saturday.

-Bill

Sponsored

mspmms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
'MERICA
Threads
Reaction score
U.S.A. Indianapolis, Indiana (Downtown Indy)
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick Tested: Slippery Mode is best for highest MPG (in Hybrid Maverick) download - 2022-09-25T065045.698

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not when you are courteous, mindful of others, and test your car in an empty stadium parking lot on a Saturday.

-Bill
When you test the low in any or all modes verify that the ice is always on. Also if possible verify when and under what conditions only some of the cylinders will be using fuel. I read somewhere this was possible and is done but no why or when was mentioned. Also don't forget if you are driving in circles excessively to do both left and right hand circles even if they are around whole stadium as well as to reduce the milage between tire rotations. Thanks in advance.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, it did not stop charging at 70% but the rate of charging was slashed 80%, down to what you get coasting without a foot on the brake. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ok, after munching on 5 Brazil nuts in the hope all the selenium would boost my brain function I reread your post with the data three times while single tasking to avoid distractions. I am hopeful that slippery mode will be closely similar to std/eco low while not requiring ice to be active. I am particularly fond of low active while reducing speed from 50-55 to +/- 25mph. Maybe I won't have to use low as often if using slippery. Wouldn't that be SLICK!

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A lot if this is analogous to photography.
A knowledgeable photographer can take any photo in manual mode: setting the focus, the aperture, the shutter speed by hand.

Or, the camera operator can use full auto - normal mode.

Or, the camera operator can use shutter speed priority mode - sport mode.

Or, the camera operator can use aperture priority mode - slippery mode.

Or the camera operator can use manual focus mode and have everything else be automatic - eco mode.

They all take "good" photos, with small artistic tweaks. Just like all modes get you where you are going. Each has it's place.

Except sport mode. It should be banned in all states. It just wastes fuel. 😈

If your goal is "coasting the longest distance without fuel on flat-ish ground", use slippery.

If your goal is to slow down a little because you are on a decline, use Normal. A little steeper slope, use Eco.

If you are on a very steep mountain slope and want to slow down a lot, use LOW.

They are artistic variations and a lot of personal preference.

Now, in the nitty gritty technical talk, for highest MPG, like moving from 55 MPG to 65 MPG you want the fewest changes in speed possible. You want the fewest accelerations possible. You want the fewest REGENERATION cycles possible.

Slippery is best for mostly flat freeway coasting. As always, YMMV.

Enjoy your Mav!
Sponsored