Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What is Ford's motivation on this? Why hide a benefit? 3 more gallons is at least 100 miles on that tank. That's something for them to trumpet, not hide. Not questioning anyone who has put 16 gallons into a hybrid tank, just can't figure out why Ford would do this.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What is Ford's motivation on this? Why hide a benefit? 3 more gallons is at least 100 miles on that tank. That's something for them to trumpet, not hide. Not questioning anyone who has put 16 gallons into a hybrid tank, just can't figure out why Ford would do this.
Fuel consumption calculators, the ones giving you "miles to empty" are imperfect. Even with today's tech they are imperfect. Also refueling is imperfect and inconsistent with today's odd molded tank shapes, air spaces, emissions equipment, and so on.
It would not be unheard of for the computations to be off 10% and your refueling quantity (compared to last time) also be off 10%.

If they are off in opposite directions the errors will cancel. If off in the same direction, the errors can add up.

So 13.8 is a safe number to count on.
Sometimes you will get to use more fuel. Perhaps, sometimes not.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well, they sure don't do that with mileage numbers.........

Signed, hybrids run more efficiently in 65 degree weather than 35 or 105 degree weather.

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
TESTED & CONFIRMED*

HYBRIDS HAVE 16.5 Gallon Gas Tanks

Hybrid Mavericks have 16.5 gallon gas tanks, but you are not supposed to run them dry. I did, once, to get the correct information confirmed.

The computer uses 13.8 gallons for computing your range. 13.8 is the safe limit of fuel you can use EVERY TIME without fear of running out.

13.8 is the maximum you should use between refueling, but 13.8 does NOT equal empty.

You should feel confident taking it down to MTE=0 if you want.

I drove until I couldn't.

No spittering or sputtering, it just quit. Ding and "Stop Safely Now".
It allows EV driving for as long as the HV battery lasts. The range will be based on state of charge of course. You're likely to have at least one-third of a mile, probably 1 mile, at most 2 miles of EV range. The slower you go, the farther you will go. So unless the station is in sight, milk that puppy!

Gas station I used is a new one. Just installed. Just opened for business a few weeks ago. New tanks. New pumps. New nozzles. Recent calibration.

On automatic, pump pumped in 15.823 gallons until first click. 15.823 without any "topping off".
97DF42CD-F05E-4D84-9165-74E083876741.jpeg

I let it rest a few seconds, then squeezed the trigger 3 more times with short rests between clicks. (Three more clicks)
Total dispensed: 16.645 gallons.

53F0A6F6-2A05-45C0-B865-94C003579BE4.jpeg

The PSA (Public Service Announcement) is this:

When people believed the tank size was 13.8 gallons, they would hesitate to use more than 11.8 (approximate) per tank, wanting to keep 2 gallons of reserve for various reasons.

At least 2 gallons exists up & beyond the 13.8, therefore drivers need not "conserve" or "reserve" any extra fuel and can drive right up to MTE 0 on a regular basis, and a little beyond, when absolutely necessary.

While I went additional "clicks" for measurement purposes this time, this is not recommended in the owner's manuals. While one or two additional clicks is generally regarded as safe to weed out premature shut-offs on overly sensitive pumps, each owner does so at his/her own risk of spills or equipment damage.

*I'm just going to say at least this much is true. There are some reports of persons adding 17+ gallons to a hybrid tank.
What would possess you to even consider deliberately running out of gas??? Did you lose a bet? Or more like “ hey y’all, watch this”…

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is that even a thing?

I think "gunk" may be a term derived from diesel users?

In 10 vehicles over 40 years during 1.5 Million miles I have never ever changed a gasoline filter.

I also have some antique engines, farm engines from 1940 that have clear glass "sediment" bowls. You know what I find in the sediment bowls? Nothing. Ever. In the past 20 years at least. Is gunk a thing of the past?
I agree with you. My lawn tractor is 27 years old. And it has a see through gas tank and there's never been anything at the bottom of the tank. I flip the fuel line shut off. Let it run out and leave the little bit of gas in it for next spring. Add fresh gas to last year's gas and it starts right up. I've heard people say don't get gas when the gas truck is filling the tanks. Because it stirs up the stuff at the bottom of the underground tank. But I don't think that's much of a thing anymore either.

Ford Maverick HYBRID Maverick Has 16.5 Gallon Tank -- tested and confirmed Screenshot_20221228-191059~2

Sponsored

Nunyabiznus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber Orange Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just go by the manual of 13.8 gals. over filling and running dry is not good for your truck. Period.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What's the emoji for "worries too much"?
🫣🥱😵or🫡

MaverickShark

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid 2022 Mitsubishi Outlander 2017
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know that the computer tends to estimates MTE based on driving habits from approx. the last 50 miles driven. I understand why Ford would want to be conservative because people would always push it to the limit. And if someone who was conservative suddenly starts accelerating harder then the MTE could drop from 50 to 0 fast. Even with my conservative acceleration, and running on electric as much as possible, when it gives me less than 15 MTE , when I fill up I top out at maybe 13.9 gal. Now I'm sure that if did push it to the 16 gal mark then I could reach that goal of 800 MPT. But I think I'll try that in the summer, with a small can with me just in case. But I'm still happy hitting 700+ MPT on the regular.

Last edited:

sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid, 66 Mustang Coupe, 2012 Focus DCT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My brother had a 2002 Explorer that he told me if the light came on the dash to fill up he better be pulling into a station or it was running out (he had that happen). My Focus has at least 40 miles left when the alarm sounds. I've never run out so not sure exactly what's left in the tank.

Keeping track of MPG using a calculator I found my Focus could be off (sometimes 3 or 4 MPG) on one tank but averaging 5 tanks was exactly what I calculate using miles divided by gallons.

DuffCon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for this information; I just had my first fill up and it was 14.2 gallons, which immediately made me raise an eyebrow considering the "official" 13.8 rating. Good to know I didn't run it too dry!

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

TESTED & CONFIRMED*

Hybrid Mavericks have 16.5 gallon gas tanks, but you are not supposed to run them dry. I did, once, to get the correct information confirmed.

The computer uses 13.8 gallons for computing your range. 13.8 is the safe limit of fuel you can use EVERY TIME without fear of running out.

13.8 is the maximum you should use between refueling, but 13.8 does NOT equal empty.

It allows EV driving for as long as the HV battery lasts. The range will be based on state of charge of course. You're likely to have at least one-third of a mile, probably 1 mile, at most 2 miles of EV range. The slower you go, the farther you will go. So unless the station is in sight, milk that puppy!

Gas station I used is a new one. Just installed. Just opened for business a few weeks ago. New tanks. New pumps. New nozzles. Recent calibration.

On automatic, pump pumped in 15.823 gallons until first click. 15.823 without any "topping off".

I let it rest a few seconds, then squeezed the trigger 3 more times with short rests between clicks. (Three more clicks)

When people believed the tank size was 13.8 gallons, they would hesitate to use more than 11.8 (approximate) per tank, wanting to keep 2 gallons of reserve for various reasons.

At least 2 gallons exists up & beyond the 13.8, therefore drivers need not "conserve" or "reserve" any extra fuel and can drive right up to MTE 0 on a regular basis, and a little beyond, when absolutely necessary.

While I went additional "clicks" for measurement purposes this time, this is not recommended in the owner's manuals. While one or two additional clicks is generally regarded as safe to weed out premature shut-offs on overly sensitive pumps, each owner does so at his/her own risk of spills or equipment damage.

*I'm just going to say at least this much is true. There are some reports of persons adding 17+ gallons to a hybrid tank.
I fill it up once a month in the summer whether I need to or not

maggie06

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 crv 2022 oxford white maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What would possess you to even consider deliberately running out of gas??? Did you lose a bet? Or more like “ hey y’all, watch this”…
Think it was more like..."hold my beer"

baldboy

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
TESTED & CONFIRMED*

My God how much is the gas per gallon were you live, I know one thing it is absolutly out of sight i could stand these kind prices for very long, I would be Vibulating on the ground having a heart attack !!!!! here in sweet home Alabama fuel is 277 a gallon

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My God how much is the gas per gallon were you live, I know one thing it is absolutly out of sight i could stand these kind prices for very long, I would be Vibulating on the ground having a heart attack !!!!! here in sweet home Alabama fuel is 277 a gallon
Prices are high out here in the west. It sucks to live out here. They don't even allow you to marry your cousin either.

Oh, even though it is slang, I don't think you understand what "vibulating" means.

Ford Maverick HYBRID Maverick Has 16.5 Gallon Tank -- tested and confirmed D34A700A-4634-4110-A8C3-DF075EDD56F5

CD_SM

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6 '06
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My brother had a 2002 Explorer that he told me if the light came on the dash to fill up he better be pulling into a station or it was running out (he had that happen). My Focus has at least 40 miles left when the alarm sounds. I've never run out so not sure exactly what's left in the tank.

Keeping track of MPG using a calculator I found my Focus could be off (sometimes 3 or 4 MPG) on one tank but averaging 5 tanks was exactly what I calculate using miles divided by gallons.
I had a 96 Explorer. As soon as the light came on, if you parked it facing downhill, it would be empty. If you parked facing uphill, you'd have another 30 miles. Very annoying.
Sponsored