Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 / 2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hmmm.
It will be interesting to go places where compression braking is not allowed/illegal.

Here is a quote on the topic (bold is theirs):
"According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), municipalities across the nation have banned the use of engine compression brakes because of noise emission which can go on for several minutes and carry more than a mile."
Totally different animal.. Anytime you let off the go pedal and start slowing down with a manual or auto transmission, you are "compression braking".

What you are referring to is for big trucks that get loud when their compression brakes (Jake brake) kick in.
Sponsored

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm really curious about this, is this accurate? I figured engine drone is coming through the dash/feet area mostly in the cabin but I dunno.
Even though that most of that noise came during the hillclimb towing 1500 lbs the noise was high vs down hill essent. Perhaps undercarriage blanketing will lessen it a bit too.

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
He stated all new vehicles are required to have backup cameras per law. Is that accurate? Do all trims come with backup cameras? I know the Lariat does, but I wasn't aware other trims did.
Yes required. Any new car regardless of trim... now you'll roll your eves when this is used a feature for selling points. Its like still claiming air conditioning is a feature... its pretty much expected.

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes required. Any new car regardless of trim... now you'll roll your eves when this is used a feature for selling points. Its like still claiming air conditioning is a feature... its pretty much expected.
Yes, cruise control is pretty much expected, but....not on the Maverick XL. And air conditioning is not standard on the Jeep Wrangler.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it's anything like my diesel and I don't see why it wouldn't, there is no fuel being injected into the engine, while going downhill. Just because the engine is "running" doesn't mean there is fuel being burned.

Fuel injected vehicles are a different animal than carb'd ones..
A carb'ed engine can't completely cut the fuel off. The air flowing into the engine (an air pump) will pull fuel through the idle jet. The other circuits however (accel, mid range, high range) are all controlled by the throttle, so those are off when you're coasting.

An FI engine can be programmed to completely cut the gas off; no idle flow either.

That said, I don't know just how much difference that makes. Trust me, my carb'ed Ducati had hella engine braking! And it made a pretty good Jake Brake noise too, especially after I cut the top of the air box off and installed a K&N filter. The braking noise is primarily induction noise.

I learned not to chop the throttle when I saw a cop because it just attracted attention 😆

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
They rate it quite well, except for engine noise when towing uphill on a long extreme grade.
How loud is an Ecoboost towing that load up that hill?
They mentioned the ICE engine was on going downhill ...I am hoping that the ICE engine will shut off on steep grades
We're talking about the "Hill Assist" feature. It's an option you can turn on or off, thankfully, because in the C-Max, it was LOUD. The Escape Hybrid doesn't do it, defaulting to a reduced (resistive?) braking load once the HVB is full.
The question is, is there an engine cover that fits the hybrid ICE?
Yes, I have one on my Jan. 2020-build Escape... among the last to get them. You can't have it.
Totally different animal.. Anytime you let off the go pedal and start slowing down with a manual or auto transmission, you are "compression braking".
Two things.
Drop throttle on a HYBRID and you get regenerative braking.
Using a running engine to slow down is quiet. That's not the "engine brake" we're talking about.

jima7777

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Pathfinder
What winner is the Maverick Hybrid. This is the toughest test and the Maverick Hybrid even surprised these guys who test every truck under the sun! I will pull a boat (just under 2,000 Lbs all rigged out with fuel and equipment) one long trip per year and a few weekends a month during the spring and summer. The other 95% of the time, I shall get FANTASTIC gas mileage. With the price of gas now, it's a winner! Good timing Ford on your strategy. I'll keep this truck (when I get it) until the hybrid AWD comes out and check the market then in a couple of years. I expect lots of choices by that time as well.
Sponsored