2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It really comes down to a combination of factors. Improvements in filter technology on the vehicle and the pump play into the amount of sediment in the tank. So too does the turnover rate, maintenance of the tank, and maintenance of the filters at the station.

Could just be hearsay but Costco definitely does have high turnover (seems there's a tanker there more often than not), and rumor has it they're on top of the maintenance with the filters and all. Combine that with Top Tier-rated additives, the lowest price in town, and little to no wait if you can find off-peak times at your local warehouse, and sometimes it's easiest to just stick with what you know.

Other stations surely do a decent job of keeping things in working order as well, but beware of the lower volume, rundown stations if you're concerned. Or just let the filter in the tank do its job and try not to worry about it. ;)
Never had an issue myself. I nearly ran my old Camry Hybrid down to the bottom of the tank, just to see how far I could go, but it's not something I'd want to do normally. Sure wouldn't want to do it in winter, at least anywhere that it gets below freezing in case you get stuck somewhere.
Sponsored

Michaelkov

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Never had an issue myself. I nearly ran my old Camry Hybrid down to the bottom of the tank, just to see how far I could go, but it's not something I'd want to do normally. Sure wouldn't want to do it in winter, at least anywhere that it gets below freezing in case you get stuck somewhere.
Agreed. Older generations repeatedly advised me to avoid filling up when a tanker is refilling the station, based on anecdotes of sediment getting brought up and causing issues. Haven't had an issue so far and don't really go out of my way to avoid it.

Double agree on not fully draining the tank in winter. Never know when you're going to end up stranded somewhere. The current winter storm is a great example of that. We've got roughly -20ºF wind chills outside at the moment.

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Way too much thought on this. Just fill up with 12-13 gallons every ~500 miles and move on.

Gunny.salazar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid, 2022 Explorer Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
TESTED & CONFIRMED*

HYBRIDS HAVE 16.5 Gallon Gas Tanks

Hybrid Mavericks have 16.5 gallon gas tanks, but you are not supposed to run them dry. I did, once, to get the correct information confirmed.

The computer uses 13.8 gallons for computing your range. 13.8 is the safe limit of fuel you can use EVERY TIME without fear of running out.

13.8 is the maximum you should use between refueling, but 13.8 does NOT equal empty.

You should feel confident taking it down to MTE=0 if you want.

I drove until I couldn't.

No spittering or sputtering, it just quit. Ding and "Stop Safely Now".
It allows EV driving for as long as the HV battery lasts. The range will be based on state of charge of course. You're likely to have at least one-third of a mile, probably 1 mile, at most 2 miles of EV range. The slower you go, the farther you will go. So unless the station is in sight, milk that puppy!

Gas station I used is a new one. Just installed. Just opened for business a few weeks ago. New tanks. New pumps. New nozzles. Recent calibration.

On automatic, pump pumped in 15.823 gallons until first click. 15.823 without any "topping off".
97DF42CD-F05E-4D84-9165-74E083876741.jpeg

I let it rest a few seconds, then squeezed the trigger 3 more times with short rests between clicks. (Three more clicks)
Total dispensed: 16.645 gallons.

53F0A6F6-2A05-45C0-B865-94C003579BE4.jpeg

The PSA (Public Service Announcement) is this:

When people believed the tank size was 13.8 gallons, they would hesitate to use more than 11.8 (approximate) per tank, wanting to keep 2 gallons of reserve for various reasons.

At least 2 gallons exists up & beyond the 13.8, therefore drivers need not "conserve" or "reserve" any extra fuel and can drive right up to MTE 0 on a regular basis, and a little beyond, when absolutely necessary.

*I'm just going to say at least this much is true. There are some reports of persons adding 17+ gallons to a hybrid tank.
Awesome 👏 thanks for the research, and willingness to run it dry. I have the hybrid as well and on a long trip I decided to run it until “0” plus 22 miles more but didn’t run out… and when I filled up it took 17.04 gallons!

Ford Maverick HYBRID Maverick Has 16.5 Gallon Tank -- tested and confirmed 1C9D361B-779F-437A-9438-32B8C0DBAC7C

Sponsored

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I didn't try too hard to top off.
Topping off wasn't my goal.
Automatic stop at about 15.9 Gal.
Then 3 more clicks over 15-20 seconds.

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those are California gallons..it says more but it's actually less...
On a serious note...does that mean the mpg registered by the truck also not correct????

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In every car on the road, it is tradition for the on board computer to be optimistic. Not sure why.

If you think it's to make the customer "feel better" because they "think" they are using less gas, think again.

Everyone (who cares enough to notice) is unhappy the cars' computers lean optimistic and there are countless complaints about this.

I can appreciate MPG calculations are difficult to do in real time. However, you'd think by law of averages, half the time it would be over, and half the time it would be under. This is almost never the case.

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not to beat a dead horse! But you'd do well to read the Maverick manual for the right answers. My company has 4 Ford Escapes and just like the Maverick, has the no gas cap feature. As is stated in the manual,. if you run out of gas, put in only about 1 1/2 gallons of gas, and crank the engine before fully filling the tank..this restores the air pressure.. A completely empty tank can and usually does screw up the gas tank air pressure.

Most Fords have gas tanks under pressure and do it by having parts of the fuel tank used for air pressure...sure you can over fill gas tank but that screws up the air pressure...one of our former employees was too smart for himself and had to have one of our Escapes towed in because he was trying to see how much gas it would hold and the fuel overflowed into the air pressure part of the gas tank. Maverick manual covers this topic quite well.
from the manual...
. WARNING: Stop refueling when the fuel pump nozzle automatically shuts off for the first time. Failure to follow this will fill the expansion space in the fuel tank and could lead to fuel overflowing. WARNING: Do not overfill the fuel tank. The pressure in an overfilled tank may cause leakage and lead to fuel spray and fire.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My SOP

Let Nozzle shut off.
Wait a few seconds.
Pull trigger one more time to assure the first click off was not premature. Pumps are jittery, and have a hair trigger and stop prematurely all the time in my state.

Hang up the hose.

This procedure is not defined as, nor considered to be "topping off". In fact I think the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) endorses 2 click offs past the first as a "complete fill" so using 2 click offs total is certainly safe.

Enjoy your Mav's! Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The fuel filler tube is not considered as a part of the tank size. Not sure how long it is on the Mav, but some can hold a couple gallons themselves.

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I quit doing the mpg game now I do total miles per tank full I always get 550-630 on 14 gallons

Icabod5000

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The sediment floats in the tank, not settling. As the level drops, so does it. The lower it goes the greater the chance of clogging the fuel filter. Fully admit I didn't word that well at all.
If there is something floating in the tank, it can’t be sediment. Sediment by definition is something that sinks to the bottom of a liquid. As for contaminants floating in gas, I have never seen any. I have vintage Volkswagens. In those tanks you can literally take off the cap and see the gas. There is never anything floating in the gas.
Sponsored