Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
I wanted to know how much HV battery charge is lost while parked.

Theory: The HV battery would self discharge at a more or less constant rate, and we would know what to expect; via a formula; while parked for long intervals.

I used an OBDII reader, a ScanGaugeIII to read and manually record the truck's reported state of charge when parking for the night (key just removed) to key just inserted (truck woken up but not started).

13 parking events recorded.
Ford Maverick Tested: HV Battery Loss while Parked 01531580-8F5C-44E1-B1B5-ED51A7C1F459

I tried to find a formula by normalizing the data to % lost per hour parked. This is because the longest I parked was 31 hours 40 min (#3) and the shortest I parked was 3 hours 25 min (#5).

In general, I noted the following.
Green bars are short parking events of less than 6 hours.
Red Bars are long parking events, usually overnight, usually 12, 13, 14 hours.
Blue bars were outliers that didn't fit the pattern. #6 was 5 hours parked. #8 was 4 hours parked.

What it "looks like" is, in general, most HV battery charge is lost in the first few hours of being parked. Then it tapers off.

In general, over all events, charge loss was 0.275% per hour. But the longer it sits, this rate goes down.

On parking events longer than 12 hours, the rate of discharge was 0.10 percent per hour.

Small enough not to worry the daily driver. But that's 2.4% per day.

Ford says "start the truck" every 15 days. So this jives with that recommendation.

The HV battery is programmed to stay between 30% and 70%.

If you park close to 30% before your long trip, you could be screwed at 15 days. Parking at 70% buys you more time.

My recommendation: run the truck for 5 minutes to top it off before that long airplane trip.

Enjoy the ride!
Sponsored

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Interesting!

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Did you test the difference between having things like Fordpass and the WIFI hotspot being disabled, vs not?

Having that OBDII device attached kind of throws things off does it not? Given that it keeps the computer awake to feed it data. We already know the system stays in a semi-hot state for about 45 minutes (thats how long the 12v outlets stay hot anyway), before things are supposed to go into a low power state. Having a OBDII device plugged in might prevent that, skewing the results somewhat.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
Having that OBDII device attached kind of throws things off does it not? Given that it keeps the computer awake to feed it data. We already know the system stays in a semi-hot state for about 45 minutes (thats how long the 12v outlets stay hot anyway), before things are supposed to go into a low power state. Having a OBDII device plugged in might prevent that, skewing the results somewhat.
No. One variable removed.
The OBD scanner was not left plugged in unattended.

And do the outlets stay hot after you open and close the driver's door and lock with the key fob? Most cars, no. But honestly I have not tested that. I will tonight if I remember.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No. One variable removed.
The OBD scanner was not left plugged in unattended.

And do the outlets stay hot after you open and close the driver's door and lock with the key fob? Most cars, no. But honestly I have not tested that. I will tonight if I remember.
Yes. My dashcam, if I don't unplug it, will run for at least 45 minutes after the doors are locked with the fob, the camera is plugged into the 12v socket. The bed and back seat 400W plugs stay hot that long as well, it's in the manual. In theory though the inverter isn't drawing power unless something is plugged into it. The plugs wouldn't be terribly useful if you couldn't have something charging, for example, just because you lock the doors.

Sponsored

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting data. Did you program your scan gauge III yourself, or did the vendor you purchased it from?

I screenshotted the image from one of your earlier posts, looking for those PID’s to monitor myself with forscan, but it seems they might be on multiple modules?

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
Interesting data. Did you program your scan gauge III yourself, or did the vendor you purchased it from?

I screenshotted the image from one of your earlier posts, looking for those PID’s to monitor myself with forscan, but it seems they might be on multiple modules?
One thing the Gen1 Escape Hybrid had was PID's for motor and generator temperature and even DC/DC converter temperature. Those had to be sniffed out by trial and error.

If you know how to packet sniff to try to find those, it would be awesome.

The ScanGauge comes with SAE (or wuddayacalit) standard ones that must be on all cars, then there are some FORD specific ones, and you can enter your own once you know them.
Sponsored