First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrids aren't always slower; the size of the battery and Elec motor have a lot to play here. Once the PHEV comes out, it will be faster than the EB. Bigger motor, bigger battery.
But hybrids are perfect for urban commutes, the 25-35 range is perfect, at this point the turb o on the EB does not have boost.
Iā€™m talking about the current hybrid Mav.

Iā€™m aware that the battery and gas engine are limiting the power of the traction motor and mentioned those points in this thread.

Plug In Hybrids are currently the absolute best from of transportation for just about anyone that has the ability to plug in charge.
Sponsored

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How did we get to "hybrid is just a fast" when every test I've seen shows it isn't?

You can't compare the torque of the electric motor and the IC engine directly because they have max torque at different points. Engine torque is useful to engine designers, but it's torque at the wheel that matters (this is why a super duty diesel isn't as fast as its monster torque might indicate it should be). Engine power in hp is the best indicator of performance.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

How did we get to "hybrid is just a fast" when every test I've seen shows it isn't?

You can't compare the torque of the electric motor and the IC engine directly because they have max torque at different points. Engine torque is useful to engine designers, but it's torque at the wheel that matters (this is why a super duty diesel isn't as fast as its monster torque might indicate it should be). Engine power in hp is the best indicator of performance.
They are nearly the same.
Just as fast for all "practical" purposes.

Drag race, not a practical purpose.
One to four tenths of a second difference most of the time is pretty darn similar.
šŸ˜Ž

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I'm not saying it's as fast or as powerful, but it is fast and powerful enough.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...cide-2-0-ecoboost-vs-2-5-hybrid.271/post-4609

Sponsored

JG307

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm going to call it "enhanced EV power and torque during initial movement after startup based on battery state".

It's looking like (all values approximate):

66% to 70% 2x normal
61% to 65% 1.75x normal
56% to 60% 1.5x normal
51% to 55% 1.25x normal
etc.

Probably not stair steps.
Probably a continuous curve.
But that's the main idea.
Weird follow up question-- does this apply only to 100% electric mode? I've never really noticed this "enhanced EV power" in EV-only, but perhaps it's not enough of a difference to jump out at you. What I *have* noticed is that sometimes on a cold start, I need a little more power than the BlueBarā„¢ allows, push on the gas, the meter goes into "Hybrid" mode, and I get the most glorious feeling of quiet, assured power, so smooth I'm not convinced the engine actually did start when "Hybrid" mode kicked in.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes, you get extra electric propulsion on each cold start as an emissions reducing measure. (Unless the battery is very low.)

Cars pollute more until the catalytic converter get hot, for example.

It can get hot enough in as little as 1 minute in warm weather, may take 2 or 3 minutes in sub-freezing but it's pretty quick overall.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Weird follow up question-- does this apply only to 100% electric mode? I've never really noticed this "enhanced EV power" in EV-only, but perhaps it's not enough of a difference to jump out at you. What I *have* noticed is that sometimes on a cold start, I need a little more power than the BlueBarā„¢ allows, push on the gas, the meter goes into "Hybrid" mode, and I get the most glorious feeling of quiet, assured power, so smooth I'm not convinced the engine actually did start when "Hybrid" mode kicked in.
I noticed the extra power.

yoyomav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger 3.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven't tried WOT acceleration yet, but yesterday I was getting the hybrid Maverick onto the ramps for rustproofing and the torque at low speed is insane.

With all previous ICE vehicles I had to give a bit of space between the front wheels and the ramps to use the momentum to get up. But with the Mav it just craws up at low speed, without even the gas engine.

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Funny, I was just wondering what the combined power output was in the hybrid when I ran across this thread.

I have been hesitant to mention how quick this thing feels since I have been driving some rather lethargic cars the last several years, none of which got near the mpg the Mav does.
There is such a thing as too small an engine, Honda FIT 1.5, Iā€™m talking to you. So small that mpg actually suffers and lack power is infuriating.

But my seat of the pants gauge has been telling me that the hybrid is actually pretty quick in real world driving, that is, not the racetrack.
This thread bears that out.

Thanks for all the homework you guys have done here!

Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When I first started driving, my "dream car" was a Corvette Stingray with the famous 327 engine, which would do 0-60 in about 9.4 seconds. That was impressive for a showroom stock vehicle in those days...

But a Stingray would have cost WAY too much for me to even dream of ever owning one! My "real world" car was an Austin-Healey Sprite Mk IV, that took around 12-13 seconds to get to 60 mph, but delivered 32-34 mpg, which was way more important at the time ('73-74).

Many years later in life, I owned a Taurus SHO that was an incredibly fun "sleeper" car. It would do 0-60 mph in about 6.6 seconds (again with my stopwatch on normal roads), and got 25-29 mpg. The only reason I didn't get a ton of speeding tickets in it was that a white Taurus (even an SHO) was basically invisible to cops...

The EcoBoost Maverick weighs about the same as the SHO, and has a smaller engine, yet the 0-60 times are better than the SHO's (by at least a 1/2 second), yet it still delivers even better mpg! That makes it a VERY sporty truck, in my opinion, even before any "tuning" takes place...

My Hybrid Maverick isn't as quick as the EB by any means (probably 1 to 1.5 seconds slower from 0-60), but even the Hybrid is faster than my former "dream car" Stingray 327, by a significant margin... And it gets 3x to 4x the fuel mileage as the 'Vette would have, back in the day...

Cars (trucks) have come a long way!

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Roger that.
Part of the muscle car expeirience was all the roaring, rattling, shaking, traction loss(rubber burning), and so on.

They SEEMED very fast.

A 10second 0-60 time used to be pretty good, even into the early 80ā€™s

Its nice to have a quick, which is different than fast, vehicle again.
The power makes it much safer as well.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
I haven't tried WOT acceleration yet, but yesterday I was getting the hybrid Maverick onto the ramps for rustproofing and the torque at low speed is insane.

With all previous ICE vehicles I had to give a bit of space between the front wheels and the ramps to use the momentum to get up. But with the Mav it just craws up at low speed, without even the gas engine.
May I ask what product you are using for rustproofing your Maverick hybrid?

yoyomav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger 3.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
May I ask what product you are using for rustproofing your Maverick hybrid?
CRC 06026, aka cosmoline. Goes on like paint and dries to a hard wax layer.

From my research there's no better product than cosmoline for new vehicles. From a few test videos online the other popular rustproofing product fluid film is gone after few weeks in the rain, the crc stuff holds on even after being pressure washed.
Sponsored