2.0 AWD Real World MPG???

Txjay

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ
I haven’t calculated mpg manually…I shouldn’t have to…but based on the amount of gas I’ve purchased in the first two weeks the readings I get on the dash seem accurate, if not optimistic. Nevertheless, if the problem is with the gauge (which I doubt is the case) that deserves to be addressed as well. Right now I just can’t get any answers because two dealers, including the one I bought it from, won’t look at it.
To calculate manually just divide number of miles driven by gallons needed to fill tank.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
I haven’t calculated mpg manually…I shouldn’t have to…but based on the amount of gas I’ve purchased in the first two weeks the readings I get on the dash seem accurate, if not optimistic. Nevertheless, if the problem is with the gauge (which I doubt is the case) that deserves to be addressed as well. Right now I just can’t get any answers because two dealers, including the one I bought it from, won’t look at it.
They don't call it the "Lie-O-Meter" for nothing. Do a full tank gas-up, drive a couple hundred miles, do another full tank gas-up, divide # miles driven by gallons pumped on 2nd gas-up.

Be armed with hard data when you do finally see a dealer.

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm calling bullxxxx on this getting 15mpg. My wife gets 40% worse mpg than I in the same vehicle/route/traffic. She still thinks there's something wrong with her honda crv.

jonbok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Just to say something
I'm calling bullxxxx on this getting 15mpg. My wife gets 40% worse mpg than I in the same vehicle/route/traffic. She still thinks there's something wrong with her honda crv.
well, I wish it was bul****.
It’s as if you can watch the gauge going down. And yes, I know how to manually calculate gas mileage. I’m glad y’all are getting over 20mpg. I wish I was too. It only confirms there must be something amiss.

Sponsored

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mr JonBok - i would highly recommend you fill it up with 93, record your mileage, and then after half a tank or so fill it up again - record your gallons and current mileage and do math.

this way you can be absolutely clear about what your vehicle is actually doing.

i know you shouldnt have to - but its time for some real numbers.

lastly - id be curious to what your hub temps are after a long drive. maybe you have a shit alignment, a dragging brake pad, bad wheel bearing. using an infrared temp gun you may be able to diagnose warm tire tread (ie significantly warmer than others / fronts vs rears) or a hub assembly that seems to be running significantly warmer.

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
You need to be able to back up your claim with your own tests. Sorry.....I would be doing some manual calculations. it’s a sad state of affairs when you have to do your own diagnosis on a brand new vehicle, but that seems to be the world we live in now. Truth-be-known.....my Lariat will be loaded (if I ever get it), there will be a ton of stuff to go wrong. That has kept me awake at night. Is it stupid to ask for trouble by saddling myself with a potential technological nightmare? But, then again, we have long passed the era of the shade tree mechanic, in which I grew up. Virtually ANY vehicle we buy now has that potential for failure - your odds just change, depending upon your package choices. Conveniences are enticing, but potential disasters—in-waiting. Virtually any visit to the dealership is a major task, and usually a waste of an entire day if you just wait for it. And few dealers now provide loaners. At best, they provide a shuttle ride. Except for the last 20 years, when I have been purchasing new every 5 years, my trucks were always relatively simple used vehicles that might have a well-maintained 50,000 miles on them. A couple grand to square things up, and I would usually be good for another 50,000 miles. The marketers finally got us. They dangled some irresistible carrots before us - and we bit. The price most of us pay for these things is really not the whole story. There’s alway another price just to spend time with them, especially if we’re unlucky and get a bad one.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone test the indicated MPG vs. MPG at the pump yet?

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just got back from Granger! Picked up my truck this morning with 22 miles on the odometer.

Trip back was 2/3 on the interstate at 75mph with some strong cross winds. Then we got on the Minnesota backroads the rest of the way home. That included driving at speed just above 60, plus probably a dozen full stops and half a dozen small town slow downs.

Last 15 miles were more spirited driving on the scenic byway near our house.

Up until we got off the interstate I was at about 29.5. as you can see ended the first trip at 31.5. not bad! I also noted the gauge dropped to half full at 257 miles on the main odometer... Not sure at what point in the first 22 miles Granger filled it up.
Ford Maverick 2.0 AWD Real World MPG??? IMG_20211009_155822

Txjay

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ
I’ve had my XL 2.0 AWD for a week now. I’ve driven about 300 miles. Averages around 16 mpg. The best I’ve gotten was just over 17 on a highway run. Right now the average is reading at just over 14. Worse mileage than the V6 F150 it replaced! Combine that with a 13 gallon tank and it sure isn’t suitable for any kind of road trip. I am so far very disappointed. The dealer I purchased it from says to put some more miles on it and maybe it will improve. I can’t imagine more miles will make any significant change. On Monday I’m taking it in (different dealer) to have them check it out. 14-17 is pretty abysmal for a truck this size.
Did you ever find out why your getting poor fuel mileage?

AUsomTiger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP, show us a pic of your dash with MPG. You are losing some credibility here by making excuses for not doing your own due diligence on the issue. Either way, it seems you are the exception.

docwatson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissans
I'm sure all of us keyboard warriors will be able to diagnose the issue with a picture of @jonbok 's dashboard or if he does a hand calc.

There's obviously a problem with his truck regardless. Given the past couple vehicle rollouts that Ford has done, the fact that it's only one truck so far is pretty good.

jonbok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Did you ever find out why your getting poor fuel mileage?
I’m still driving around hoping things “fix themselves”. The dealers say they won’t look at it until it has 1000 miles. Right now it’s just over 500.

if I hit the reset and drive on a highway run the mileage is stellar. As high as 30.5. Usually in the mid-to-high 20s. Once I get off the highway the average rapidly dips back into the mid teens.

I suppose I could post a picture of the dash monitor if that’s what you really need to see, but honestly I’ve got absolutely nothing to gain by lying to y’all.

On a positive note the truck is pretty amazing to drive. It rides and handles like no other truck I’ve ever owned.
im confident that it will get sorted out, if it doesn’t sort itself out.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: bgn