Sponsored

Will Maverick 2.0 EcoBoost AWD emulate real world MPG of Bronco Sport Badlands 2.0?

mrrk47

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've seen online real world Bronco Spt BLDS 2.0 Eco with 27 mpg. If this is true, will the Mav 2.0 AWD gas come close? I'm thinking of switching to gas from Hybrid b/c my build with XLT Lux pkg got skipped this week b/c of spray liner I think? I'd like to have that 4k tow pkg for extra room considering the 1400 boat/trailer I'll have.
Sponsored

Reactions: JJC

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm expecting 1-2mpg shy of the BS due to aerodynamics. 2600# boat/trailer here so 2.0 AWD with 4K Tow is how I optioned.

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
I think the MPG figures between the BS Badlands and Mav with 2.0, AWD, and 4K tow will be nearly identical. Same engine, same trans, same weight, same tires, same final drive ratios. That really only leaves aerodynamics as a variable and I cannot see the bed of the Maverick making an appreciable difference. Some say otherwise but I think it'll be the same myself.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the MPG figures between the BS Badlands and Mav with 2.0, AWD, and 4K tow will be nearly identical. Same engine, same trans, same weight, same tires, same final drive ratios. That really only leaves aerodynamics as a variable and I cannot see the bed of the Maverick making an appreciable difference. Some say otherwise but I think it'll be the same myself.
there used to be "conventional wisdom" leaving tailgate down in your truck increased MPG. That has been debunked for several years by automakers and experts saying wind tunnel testing and aerodynamics design have been perfected so wind passes over the bed and is not blocked or redirected by closed tailgates for many years now. I'd expect little if any difference due to open bed on Maverick.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
That really only leaves aerodynamics as a variable...
And that's already scrogged.

Fuelly data for 2020 2.0L Escape (27 mpg) and 2021 2.0L Bronco Sport (23 mpg) with nobody hitting 30 mpg.
Ford Maverick Will Maverick 2.0 EcoBoost AWD emulate real world MPG of Bronco Sport Badlands 2.0? Fuelly 2021 Bronco Sport 2L 2108
Ford Maverick Will Maverick 2.0 EcoBoost AWD emulate real world MPG of Bronco Sport Badlands 2.0? Fuelly 2020 Escape 2L 2107

Easy to see which one is the brick. Escape Hybrid average is ~38 mpg.

Reactions: JJC

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I just finished up an 800 mile trip in my AWD Escape w/ 2.0L. 600 miles were with the cruise set at 70-75 mph, the other 200 miles were primarily gravel, off-road, exploring, so slower speeds, some fun in Sport mode, etc. Also a good amount of just idling as we kept it running quite a bit for our dogs whenever we'd make a quick stop.

I reset this trip at initial fill-up before we left just for fun, I did not set out to get the best MPG possible in any way. Final MPG per the dash upon getting home was 31.3 mpg, but I wanted to check real world numbers so see below for my math of this particular trip.
IMG_5928.jpg

After this pic, I added 13.47 gal of fuel. Also, added 12.28 gal of fuel part way through, so total fuel for trip: 25.75 gal of 91

Actual miles traveled when accounting for the larger 235/65R17 Wildpeaks I have, (29" OD vs 28.6" stock) 812.1 miles.

Actual MPG for trip: 812.1 miles / 25.75 gal = 31.5 MPG

Should note, I typically get 26-27 mpg with my normal, everyday driving that includes a lot of shorter trips and stop-and-go traffic. With the additional weight of the Maverick and taller final gearing, I'm anticipating 1-2 less MPG as compared to my Escape.
IMG_5875.jpg
What were the stock tires? The same Pirellis that come on the AWD on the Maverick?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The bed definitely hurts, however, the BS is not exactly an aerodynamic wonder like the Escape and itself has a weird hump above the rear passengers and a big ol roof rack and is overall kind of blocky. So that should even them out, and I think you're right that it'll be really close.

For example, the same powertrain on the Escape is rated 26cmb/23cty/31hwy but only 23cmb/21cty/26hwy on the BS.

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've seen online real world Bronco Spt BLDS 2.0 Eco with 27 mpg. If this is true, will the Mav 2.0 AWD gas come close? I'm thinking of switching to gas from Hybrid b/c my build with XLT Lux pkg got skipped this week b/c of spray liner I think? I'd like to have that 4k tow pkg for extra room considering the 1400 boat/trailer I'll have.
2022 Maverick EB AWD, I’m averaging mid 30s on highway, sometimes 40 or a bit better hand calculated most of time. Last 5000 miles computer shows 34mpg