First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was reading elsewhere that the 12v battery in the hybrids would go dead if left too long, and if only driven short distances would not be able to charge up properly.

Is that something those with hybrids are experiencing?

How long is too long sitting idle?

How many miles worth of driving is too little to recharge?

I live about 3.5 miles from work, so I'm only driving on average about 7-8 miles a day.
Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was reading elsewhere that the 12v battery in the hybrids would go dead if left too long, and if only driven short distances would not be able to charge up properly.

Is that something those with hybrids are experiencing?

How long is too long sitting idle?

How many miles worth of driving is too little to recharge?

I live about 3.5 miles from work, so I'm only driving on average about 7-8 miles a day.
Miles means nothing if Ice never starts. I would. Pick a drive mode that requires ice to run. Maybe drive one way in std low and return in same way or econ. If you drive the 7-8 five days a week and everything is working as it should you should not have a problem. I think the manual says 15mins once every three weeks should be adequate.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Miles means nothing if Ice never starts. I would. Pick a drive mode that requires ice to run. Maybe drive one way in std low and return in same way or econ. If you drive the 7-8 five days a week and everything is working as it should you should not have a problem. I think the manual says 15mins once every three weeks should be adequate.
12V battery is charged via HVB, not ICE. As long as the vehicle is on, 12V is charging. If ICE is off, HVB is discharging until the ICE is needed.

However, the 12V battery is undersized and the fact that the vehicle is never fully off (FordPass Connect modem, etc.) means that the 12V battery seems to drain faster than it should when parked.

Or maybe my battery is just bad. Gonna go with the former for sure.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I'm experiencing this. I don't drive much. Usually just once or twice a week. Have had my truck since beginning of August and just past 600 miles. Over the past month or so I now get the deep sleep warning after every time I drive it. I will have Ford test the battery when I bring it in for the airbag recall.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
12V battery is charged via HVB, not ICE. As long as the vehicle is on, 12V is charging. If ICE is off, HVB is discharging until the ICE is needed.

However, the 12V battery is undersized and the fact that the vehicle is never fully off (FordPass Connect modem, etc.) means that the 12V battery seems to drain faster than it should when parked.

Or maybe my battery is just bad. Gonna go with the former for sure.
Ice has to charge HVB so it can charge 12v. Ford pass had an upgrade to limit communication with truck. I think someone posted that ice charging of HVB was on at 30% soc and off at 40% with 40+% to 70% being used for Regen braking. I am sure that some current can still be saved from Regen braking but most likely only enough to keep HVB at optimal operating temp. And to help it last through the warranty period.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ice has to charge HVB so it can charge 12v. Ford pass had an upgrade to limit communication with truck. I think someone posted that ice charging of HVB was on at 30% soc and off at 40% with 40+% to 70% being used for Regen braking. I am sure that some current can still be saved from Regen braking but most likely only enough to keep HVB at optimal operating temp. And to help it last through the warranty period.
When the vehicle is on, the 12V battery is being charged by the HVB, whether ICE is on or not. There is no need to force the ICE on to charge the 12V battery.

ICE will kick on when it's needed. If ICE isn't on, that has no impact on the 12V battery.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When the vehicle is on, the 12V battery is being charged by the HVB, whether ICE is on or not. There is no need to force the ICE on to charge the 12V battery.

ICE will kick on when it's needed. If ICE isn't on, that has no impact on the 12V battery.
Voltage across the battery positive and negative terminals will read 12.5-ish volts when the truck is off and 12v battery is at an optimal charge. When ignition is on and the HVB is activated, it will read 14.5ish volts.

There may be something a little more complex going on, regarding a 12v battery charging controller, to ensure it doesn’t overcharge. I wish I understood more about how that works. Can anyone explain?

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Turn off wifi if you don't use it. Make sure to turn off auto updates too, it turns the wifi back on.

Uncle Ed

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander,Outlook,S10,1968Camaro,22Maverick.hybri
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Turn off wifi if you don't use it. Make sure to turn off auto updates too, it turns the wifi back on.
I put a charger on my hybrid a few weeks after it arrived just to see how long it took to show full charge , no issues just curious. It was about three hours on slow charge before full. It might be something to do if you only drive occasionally and / or short trips. 3000 miles now in less than two months, no problems.

22XLThybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT hybrid (order July 21)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have gotten the phone app warning once (since april) for a low state of charge after it was sitting in the garage for over a week. Said it was automatically shutting off the modem. It's pretty easy to stick it on a battery keeper with the posts under the hood. So I tend to do that if it's going to be sitting. Better for the 12 volt battery to remain topped off anyways.

Sponsored

sockeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put a charger on my hybrid a few weeks after it arrived just to see how long it took to show full charge , no issues just curious. It was about three hours on slow charge before full. It might be something to do if you only drive occasionally and / or short trips. 3000 miles now in less than two months, no problems.
I'm getting the deep sleep messages too. If I were to connect a small, 1 amp battery maintainer, where should I connect it? Under the hood at the jump posts, or directly to the under seat battery? Does it matter?

glohworm

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No vehicle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I'm experiencing this. I don't drive much. Usually just once or twice a week. Have had my truck since beginning of August and just past 600 miles. Over the past month or so I now get the deep sleep warning after every time I drive it. I will have Ford test the battery when I bring it in for the airbag recall.
I'm experiencing the same here for the last month or so. Ford Pass app tells me everyday that I'm in deep sleep mode and conserving 12 volt battery. Truck starts up just fine and shuts everything off when I turn off ignition. I'm hoping a software update can correct this.

jmckinley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Lariat, 2013 Ford C Max, 1995 Mazda Miat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm experiencing the same here for the last month or so. Ford Pass app tells me everyday that I'm in deep sleep mode and conserving 12 volt battery. Truck starts up just fine and shuts everything off when I turn off ignition. I'm hoping a software update can correct this.
I got my CMax Hybrid in 2012. I went through several batteries in the first few years. I always carried a small booster thing so I could get it started when the 12V wouldn't start it. It still does it from time to time. Discharging a battery completely takes a toll on battery life so batteries only last about 2 years. The 12V battery is an odd size and not cheap.

If you have keyless entry, now would be a good time to get out your owner's manual (RTFM) and familiarize yourself on how to get in the truck when the battery is dead. There is a metal key hidden in the key fob that isn't easy to get out with cold, wet hands in the dark.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wasn't it mentioned about doing some type of battery calibration?
Sponsored