Random

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Maverick Hybrid FE Lux & ā€˜11Toyota Sienna XLE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just want to add my data point. I got tired of the deep sleep notifications, so after reading a few threads around here I decided to drop in an AGM battery.

After getting things buttoned up, I reset the Battery Management System (BMS) by turning the Maverick to On (key in truck, press start, but NOT HOLDING the brake pedal), then flashing the high beams 5 times, then pressing the brake 3 times. You should see the battery warning light on the dash flash a few times after that if it worked.

After that I took it on a little drive to try and get the battery topped off. I haven't checked voltages or anything, but I guess I'll post back here if it doesn't fix the issue.
After the BMS reset I believe you have to let it sit for at least 8 hours. You may want to do it again and then let it sit.
Sponsored

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just want to add my data point. I got tired of the deep sleep notifications, so after reading a few threads around here I decided to drop in an AGM battery.

I went with this one from Rock Auto.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8878472

It is a perfect fit. The only difference is that it has a vent hole on the positive and negative sides, so you need to plug up the positive side. A plug was provided in the box with the battery.

Getting the old battery out wasn't too bad, but putting the new one in was a real pain. The battery compartment is tight so jamming the new battery in past the stiff battery cables would be easier with 3 or 4 hands. Then there is the battery hold down clamp at the base of the battery. I tried to sneak the new battery in with the clamp just loosened all the way, but couldn't maneuver it properly. With so little room I didn't think I could get the clamp and the bolt back in proper position if I pulled it all the way out.

I ended up pulling up the plastic trim that surrounds the battery under half of the rear seat. I think the fasteners should just pull apart, but one snapped. And it required some severe flexing around some sheet metal which scratched things up. But with the trim pulled up, you can easily get the battery replaced, and the trim goes back in much easier than it comes out.

After getting things buttoned up, I reset the Battery Management System (BMS) by turning the Maverick to On (key in truck, press start, but NOT HOLDING the brake pedal), then flashing the high beams 5 times, then pressing the brake 3 times. You should see the battery warning light on the dash flash a few times after that if it worked.

After that I took it on a little drive to try and get the battery topped off. [EDIT - User Random points out below that you should let the truck sit for 8 hours after resetting the BMS.]I haven't checked voltages or anything, but I guess I'll post back here if it doesn't fix the issue.
The BMS reset tells the truck:

"This is what a 100% battery should be."

If you do the BMS reset, for example, with a 50% charged battery, it's going to do it's best to keep it there.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 8 hours of rest is probably to get a true "resting voltage" on the battery. Trouble is, this dang truck has so many gizmos I don't think it really rests. Maybe it's a negative feedback cycle (theory šŸ¤”).

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Even when your battery 100% charged and you do the proper BMS reset, it will still only charge to 80% level. Only when you change the 80% to something else (I changed my level to 95%), the Mav will charge to a higher level than 80%. This was my experience with installing a new battery...your experience maybe different...

Sponsored

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Donā€™t waste time trying to solve this issue for ford, they are very aware of this.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Donā€™t waste time trying to solve this issue for ford, they are very aware of this.
Do you have any evidence that Ford is working on this battery issue for the hybrids?

mcluvin

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Palms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mercedes GLC; 23 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They were a nightmare to deal with when my battery failed within warranty. It took multiple visits before they agreed to honor the warranty.
At least they honored it. Iā€™m out $400+ with less than 1 month and not even 900 miles.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They were a nightmare to deal with when my battery failed within warranty. It took multiple visits before they agreed to honor the warranty.
Zero problems ever with my local Advance Auto Parts...

mcluvin

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Zero problems ever with my local Advance Auto Parts...

My store wanted to charge it then immediately test. You canā€™t get accurate results that way, but it gets the average customer to eventually give up and just buy a new battery. Iā€™m sure YMMV depending on the individual you deal with. I once had a service rep at a dealership tell me no on a bad battery warranty claim then hand me off to parts. The parts guy said parts has different rules, then gave me a new battery. I just prefer to avoid hassle when I can, so I no longer buy batteries from AA or that dealership.

DonPe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid Cyber-Orange
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not sure if relevant, but my car was "dead" and need to be jump after only 6 months. Dealer replaced the battery automatically upon inspection.
Sponsored