donkiboy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is anyone else worried about the build quality or reliability? This being all new it's impossible to tell but this Bronco sport reviewed by a mechanic is relevant given that Maverick is based on Escape / Bronco sport.

The two areas I'm worried about is the build quality under hood (5:28 timestamp) and small drive shafts / axles (13:30 timestamp).

I've ordered a Lariat 2.0 AWD with lux package so I'm hoping it's durable and not just simply built to a price point.

Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It says 17 inch aluminum wheel available on XL ?

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I've ordered a Lariat 2.0 AWD with lux package so I'm hoping it's durable and not just simply built to a price point.
I'd be cautiously optimistic. You're buying a $20k truck with some options on it; it's still a $20k truck underneath. I'm almost certain that compromises had to be made in order to get the vehicle under a $20k starting price.

I had a subcompact SUV with a $20k starting price. I dented the hood while casually leaning on it, and I'm not a big guy. The enthusiast forum for that car had more than an insignificant amount of "I paid $30,000 for this car; why does stuff squeak/rattle/whistle/not fit good/is already rusting/fading/cracking/etc." posts.

My response was usually along the lines of, "You put lipstick on a pig; it's still an entry-level econo-car. Going upmarket gives automakers a bit more breathing room to use nicer/more materials to reduce NVH and prolong fit and finish."

ATXcaraholic

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Smart ForTwo Prime
Engine
Undecided
Is anyone else worried about the build quality or reliability? This being all new it's impossible to tell but this Bronco sport reviewed by a mechanic is relevant given that Maverick is based on Escape / Bronco sport.

The two areas I'm worried about is the build quality under hood (5:28 timestamp) and small drive shafts / axles (13:30 timestamp).

This vehicle appears well built and I don't think there is much to worry about. Whoever this is sounds like he's complaining more than anything. It's his opinion. I'm sure he's not an engineer because Ford engineers have tested and tested these components for durability. Bigger isn't always better.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was one of them.

First, as of now, I prefer the Maverick over the Hyundai, as the MPG #'s will leave the Santa Cruz in the dust.

For those folks obsessed with towing capability, the Santa Cruz 2.5T would be the better choice.

Outside of max towing, Ford just took a dump in Hyundai's cereal. Buuut...I think Hyundai knew this, which is why they catered to the U.S west coast folks with their reveal time and their marketing--"Sport Adventure Vehicle."

The maverick sticks to the old spirit of the small pick-up with the towing and payload #'s. Also, the fact that the Maverick can handle most of the payload being in the truck bed is HUGE. I'm a 300lb dude, so my max payload is immediately dropped to 1200lbs, but still. I'll take 1200lbs in the bed over the "700lbs" max in the bed from the Santa Cruz.
So what is different about west coast customers. Midwest misperception…

Sponsored

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So what is different about west coast customers. Midwest misperception…
The post you quoted is from like six weeks ago.

I think I meant the Santa Cruz is intended to look and feel more upscale (aka aiming to grab Silicone Valley weekend adventure $'s).

For the record, I know not all CA residents are actors and tech junkies.

Much like, not all Midwesterners are farmers and factory workers.

bigbenmayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corolla
Watch a few of TFLs “slip tests” and that will give you a good idea.
they put AWD vehicles on rollers. And see if a single or 2 wheels can pull the car off the rolls by sending torque to the wheels on the ground. Very informative videos.

typically with single clutch, if all your wheels are free spinning and you have only 1 wheel on the ground your SOL. But dual can do it.
Is it possible to later retrofit it with the dual clutch?

Deleted member 1894

Yeah for me I have basically decided to wait for a hybrid AWD option that has higher towing capabilities. The 2000 lb limit is a massive letdown for me. I am also holding out hopes for Sync 4 as well in the future. I am willing to settle for 3 if I can get the AWD Hybrid option with better towing specs.
What about a self dimming rear view mirror and power folding exterior mirrors and cooling seats and heads up display and front bumper parking sensors

Sponsored

oneinch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stanton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My thoughts? WHOLLY F&^%ING $H!+ Batman! ....This vehicle checks all of my boxes.....My only decision now....Hybrid [or] turbo AWD.
A hot rod this truck is not. It's a commuter vehicle with truck capabilities. Stick to what it is and go hybrid....IMO. It's what I ordered. I wanted MPG followed by utility. The FWD will do fine in snow; especially with winter tires (not all season).

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone noticed how much coolant the hybrid holds? Also is there a separate coolant tank for the battery?

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My thoughts? WHOLLY F&^%ING $H!+ Batman!

I never in my wildest dreams expected the base model ($20ish-k) to be a hybrid.

I am a little disappointed there is no AWD hybrid option.

The rear legroom and overall people carrier area is perfect for my current and future needs.

The bed is all I need, personally.

I am sold on the Maverick for my next vehicle. This vehicle checks all of my boxes. Before the Maverick reveal, NO vehicle on the U.S. market checked ALL of my boxes.

My only decision now, is whether to go with my head, and get the FWD Hybrid and the improved gas mileage, or go with my heart, and go with the turbo AWD.
Hey... zeketolliver - what was your final decision "Build out"?

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey... zeketolliver - what was your final decision "Build out"?
I went with a hybrid lariat lux with hard roll-up tonneau.

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wondered what others thought of the official specs (below) for the Maverick. Overall I am pretty happy with what was revealed and it looks like many of the rumors and guesses were correct. I'm ready to order.

I was surprised by the standard hybrid engine. Also pleasantly surprised by the 4K capability with the tow package. Mildly disappointed by Sync 3 rather then Sync 4, but not a huge deal for me.

What about you?

[DOWNLOAD SPECS SHEET]
2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications-1.jpg

2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications-2.jpg

2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications-3.jpg

2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications-4.jpg
Here is one thing I am confused about. The gas engine has 162HP & 155Lb-Ft of torque. The 94KW electric motor has 173Ft-Lb of torque.. But the overall combined HP is only 191??? A 94KW motor calculates out to 102HP by itself... What gives here?? The specs imply the electric motor will only give the truck an extra 29 HP......
Sponsored