Sponsored

Consider Scheduling You Ford Maverick Oil Service Sooner Rather Than Later

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
And that's why I bought the Hybrid. Direct Injection Engines, especially with turbo's are really hard on oil. The oil can get burnt from the heat in the Turbo, can get fuel diluted due to direct injection engine's tending to run richer. I changed oil at 1500 miles, looked brand new, changed it again at 5000 miles, again looked almost brand new, no real color change and smelled like good clean oil, now have 7100 miles on it, so about 2100 miles on the second oil change and oil still right on the full mark and looks practically brand new.
THIS.........
Sponsored

Jville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And that's why I bought the Hybrid. Direct Injection Engines, especially with turbo's are really hard on oil. The oil can get burnt from the heat in the Turbo, can get fuel diluted due to direct injection engine's tending to run richer. I changed oil at 1500 miles, looked brand new, changed it again at 5000 miles, again looked almost brand new, no real color change and smelled like good clean oil, now have 7100 miles on it, so about 2100 miles on the second oil change and oil still right on the full mark and looks practically brand new.
I sold my 2.0 Ecoboost for that reason plus I made 8k on the sale. Still waiting for my Oct 07 XL Hybrid order to get scheduled.

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The best way to tell if you need an oil change it check your oil.

Does the level look good? Is the oil clean and lighter colored?

Or is it dark, smells like gas.

Lots of things can affect turbo'd engine oil:

• outside temp
  • driving habits
  • hard running/shutting off quickly after
  • many boosts
  • quality of oil
  • recirc

and as someone else said - its furthered by the direct injection.

honda's had a pretty bad problem with it in recent engines.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agree, but some on this forum say the hybrid is “extremely unreliable”. 😄

There is a reason Toyota only does multipoint fuel injection and not just DI.

LAClippers420

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
holy smokes, im at 5k and I haven't had it serviced yet. should I bet worried? I was waiting to go around 9 k or when the ford pass gave me the alert.

Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have noticed some here saying the first oil change should be at 1000 miles. Prolly not a bad idea given what the op says.

I change my oil in the Jeep now once the oil coach says the life has dipped below 50%. My Ranger oil changes are dictated by the calendar, every 6 months which is around 1200 miles. The 4.0 has 3 timing chains so they be loving the fresh oil.

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have noticed some here saying the first oil change should be at 1000 miles. Prolly not a bad idea given what the op says.

I change my oil in the Jeep now once the oil coach says the life has dipped below 50%. My Ranger oil changes are dictated by the calendar, every 6 months which is around 1200 miles. The 4.0 has 3 timing chains so they be loving the fresh oil.
As a former factory Mercedes tech, we changed the oil first at a recommended 800-1,000 miles. Then the recommendation was 7500 thereafter. I changed mine in the EB at 1200 miles. The oil looked clean, I strained it through a paint strainer and found zero metal. I will keep the intervals at 5000 using Mobile 1 as I use it in my wife's Mercedes. No science here. Just what I think is a decent plan.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2016 (6 years old) Prius gets it's oil changed for a low price of 70.00 (parts and labor) every 10k miles since new. I check it under the hood maybe 1 or 2 times between service. I pull the dipstick, check level, get some on my fingers (no sex jokes) and rub them together and look and smell it. I will look around the engine to see if any leaks might be forming. It has never been low on oil. Never leaked a drop. Now it has 62k miles on it.

I will treat my truck like my Prius. I will use some of my Ford Pass credits to get my first oil change free on my Maverick Hybrid and I will do it at 10k as manual indicates.
I'm not concerned about the oil.

Shookones

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0 Eco Boost
What is the recommended oil change? My Maverick has 3500 on it was going to change next week before I go on a road trip with my daughter. I was thinking it was 5k
Every 5000km is what I've always done one every Turbo Vehicle I've owned. My dealership even recommended it. Because its a 4cylinder direct and port fuel injection I would say 6000km max for oil changes on this engine.

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for the recommendation. Was going to wait until I hit 5000 miles (at 2818 now) but I have two back-to-back road trips scheduled for the end of this month. Better safe than sorry. Scheduled appointment for 8am Monday.

Follow Up: By the time I made it to the dealership bright and early this morning, I was right around 2830+ miles. Oil definitely needed to be changed, but every 5000 miles should be good thereafter unless you're beating your Maverick like a running mule and driving in overly hot/rough conditions, in which case every 3000 miles is recommended.

Last edited:
Sponsored

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The best way to tell if you need an oil change it check your oil.

Does the level look good? Is the oil clean and lighter colored?

Or is it dark, smells like gas.

Lots of things can affect turbo'd engine oil:

• outside temp
  • driving habits
  • hard running/shutting off quickly after
  • many boosts
  • quality of oil
  • recirc

and as someone else said - its furthered by the direct injection.

honda's had a pretty bad problem with it in recent engines.
The problem Honda was having was with it's 1.5L turbo engines. Some people were getting oil dilution with amounts of fuel getting into the oil. It was happening to people that didn't drive long distances. The engine was taking longer than usual to reach full operating temperature. Honda made some slight changes to allow the engine to warm up quicker and it is supposed to have solved the issue.

As far as following the manuals, don't always take an owners manual for gospel. Sometimes the fluid changes are too long IMO. I would never go 7500-1000 miles between oil changes, but that's just me. I used o do oil changes every 3k back in the day. On my modern Fords, I do the oil changes every 5k. Probably will go to 4k on the turbo.

Fastbackjon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0, 18 Flex, 20 Edge, 21 Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just my 2 cents worth, not trying to start a argument post. Everyone takes care of their vehicle differently. My past experience working at a Ford dealership and MY choice for changing oil has always been the factory break in oil is good to 2500-3000 miles depending on driving conditions. There are additives in the factory engine build that are for the break in period. So my first change is at 2500-3000 unless I notice an issue. I have yet to have a burnt smell issue or really dirty oil. When I build my own engines, I use Comp Cams 10w30 which is meant to lube up internal components. I changed that after 500 miles but there is a difference as those engines are usually in my classic cars that I have had and rarely get much mileage on them after the first 500. Then I go another 2000 miles and change it again in that case to full synthetic.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As a former factory Mercedes tech, we changed the oil first at a recommended 800-1,000 miles. Then the recommendation was 7500 thereafter. I changed mine in the EB at 1200 miles. The oil looked clean, I strained it through a paint strainer and found zero metal. I will keep the intervals at 5000 using Mobile 1 as I use it in my wife's Mercedes. No science here. Just what I think is a decent plan.
What Mercedes had 7500 intervals? My 2005 had 13,000 mile intervals with it's supercharged I4. I followed those intervals and had the oil analyzed repeatedly all the way to 150,000 miles and the recommendation was always to go longer than 13,000. Never once did Blackstone Labs say to shorten the interval.

My 2009, 2011, 2014, and 2016 Benzes all had 10,000 mile intervals.

I have followed the factory oil change schedule in every car I've ever owned and had them analyzed. From the 13.000 mile intervals in that 2005 Mercedes to the 10,000 intervals in a 2015 Toyota. I have never had an oil analysis on any car of mine, across many brands and intervalls from 7500-13,000, say that I ran it too long. They have always said the oil would have been fine for longer.

We need to break this 1960s-1970s 3,000 mile mindset. It's a waste of money and resources to change oil too frequently.
Sponsored