Sponsored

Oil Change Indicator Came on - Dealership refuses to change oil under service plan.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
that's wrong. legally and logically, the term "OR" is satisfied by either condition.
the terms of service are not satisficed by both as the vehicle has not exceeded 7500 miles, but this Dealer contract (not Ford) is poorly written.

The definition is ambiguous as written and means they will change it at 6 month intervals or they will change it at 7500 intervals, the 2 gates are not linked in their definition.

It should read "6 months or 7500 miles (which ever comes first)"

.The OP should escalate within the Dealership's leadership and if the dealer refuses, seek to cancel.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It says 6 months or 7500 miles. You are over 6 months so talk to Service Manager.
their terms are ambiguous, it does not state '6 months or 7500 miles (which ever comes first)'. The meaning as written suggests a change every 6 months, or a change every 7500 miles... Poorly written...

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
their terms are ambiguous, it does not state '6 months or 7500 miles (which ever comes first)'. The meaning as written suggests a change every 6 months, or a change every 7500 miles... Poorly written...
Yep I agree it may be giving them some wiggle room. That's why I never do these plans. Generally though isn't there a limited number of changes they do anyway?

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Generally though isn't there a limited number of changes they do anyway?
I recall the (Ford backed) Ford Premium Maintenance Plan is bounded by both time and service events, it appears this is solely a Dealer-sponsored contract....

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Jesus man... change it yourself if you want it done... 😏

It's not rocket science.

Or... prepare to go to war with the service manager, and get a shitty service performed.
NO! Just NO. Maybe that would have been the better option at the point of purchase but we're past that point now. I like the "new employee, let's talk to the manager" theory the best so far.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

the terms of service are not satisficed by both as the vehicle has not exceeded 7500 miles, but this Dealer contract (not Ford) is poorly written.

The definition is ambiguous as written and means they will change it at 6 month intervals or they will change it at 7500 intervals, the 2 gates are not linked in their definition.

It should read "6 months or 7500 miles (which ever comes first)"

.The OP should escalate within the Dealership's leadership and if the dealer refuses, seek to cancel.

agree it's poorly written, and I would not want to sue the dealership over a single oil change, that's silly.

however, I'm sure that without the verbiage you suggested to insert, the judge or arbitrator most definitely would read it as I stated. OR means one of the terms in the list. it doesn't mean you get to pick the one you like and exclude others. it means any of the terms.

furthermore, it makes no sense for the 2 terms to even be listed if it's just the one, mileage, that is going to be used. just say every 7,500 miles if that's the only criteria. since it says 6 months or 7,500 miles, it should be very obvious that either condition will be used.

... and again I think it's just a service writer saying this. if it's the service manager, that person is an idiot, and risking customer satisfaction to delay a $40-80 service. reward them with a bad Google review if this really is the service manager's stance and they refuse to perform the oil change now.

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Believe it or not, some people really aren't mechanically inclined (even for an easy job like an oil change), and they really don't know how to do it. Or, some people who could, no longer can due to physical issues. I changed my own oil for decades, but at 72, I don't want to crawl underneath the truck anymore. I'm sure there are many like me too. Hell, I don't even want to change the oil on the Harley anymore, and that's a lot easier than the truck.

I agree with you that it's easy, but not everyone wants to, or can, do the job.
Or here is another situation: I've changed my oil for years and just hated it every single time. Now I'm older and have enough money to buy a service plan. I'd rather sit in the lobby for three hours and play SODUKO on my iPad than spend an hour crawling around under my truck, dripping hot oil all over myself and then having to dispose of the old oil. It's a quality-of-life thing.

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Or here is another situation: I've changed my oil for years and just hated it every single time. Now I'm older and have enough money to buy a service plan. I'd rather sit in the lobby for three hours and play SODUKO on my iPad than spend an hour crawling around under my truck, dripping hot oil all over myself and then having to dispose of the old oil. It's a quality-of-life thing.
in 2000 & 2001 I changed the head gaskets myself twice on a Subaru EJ25. a whole weekend each time, probably 30ish hours. in my garage, without a hoist, laying on the ground and over the fender.

I haven't changed my own oil in years. I have better things to do than unfasten the belly pan / splashguard, drain the oil, remove the filter, install the filter, refill the oil, check for leaks, reinstall belly pan, take oil to recycling center (probably Wal-Mart).

if someone enjoys that, I get it. if they think it's cheaper they don't value their time as much as I value mine.

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just one more thing if you'll indulge me. I bought an eight-year, 75,000 mile, ten oil changes plan from my dealer at the point of purchase, and it's been working out perfectly so far. I had the oil changed at 5K, 10K and plan to have it changed again at 15K, then every 7,500 after that.

I got nicked a little on the financing and maybe even the MSRP, but not much and overall I'm pleased with my dealership and the buying experience. Things could all go south in the future, but so far, so good.

jeepgrady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L. 2022 Lincoln Corsair
Engine
Undecided
Most manufacturers recommend this.

Other manufacturers such as Chrysler and GM state in their owners manuals that oil must be changed every 12 months regardless of the oil life monitoring system. While Ford doesn't state so in their manuals, I would presume that they take time into consideration in their algorithm for the monitoring system.

The OP stated that he had his vehicle for a year and has 5800 miles on it when his system indicated that an oil change is warranted. I have a 22 Lincoln Corsair that had it's oil changed on 11/28/22. I've put 4000 miles on it since then and my oil life is down to 16%. See the pattern?

Baloo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 Lux Ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

that's wrong. legally and logically, the term "OR" is satisfied by either condition.

it appears that the OP's dealership service dept is refusing because the mileage hasn't been met, and they are ignoring the fact that 6 months has elapsed. it's probably just one clueless service advisor and the service manager would correct this issue when/if the OP called that person.
Need to read the fine print. As it is normally which ever comes first. If op failed, at the 6 months, like admitted, then the warranty would be void for everything for failure on their end to meet terms.

Last edited: