First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Since earlier in the week, I have been planning to hit the road this weekend, and during a fluid inspection on my 2022 EcoBoost-powered Ford Maverick, I discovered that my oil was trashed. I am talking about dark, with a burnt and gas smell. Although it is pretty HOT out here in Southwest Florida, the viscosity was also quite heaving for a 5W 30. I am not sure if Ford is shipping these trucks with a unique break-in formulation, but if your odometer has clocked more the 2500 miles, I think you need to consider an oil service soon, rather than later. Here is my experience with a few extra mods. As always, your comments and suggestions are always welcome!
Sponsored

Jbuys

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mazda 626, 05 Ford Escape 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And that's why I bought the Hybrid. Direct Injection Engines, especially with turbo's are really hard on oil. The oil can get burnt from the heat in the Turbo, can get fuel diluted due to direct injection engine's tending to run richer. I changed oil at 1500 miles, looked brand new, changed it again at 5000 miles, again looked almost brand new, no real color change and smelled like good clean oil, now have 7100 miles on it, so about 2100 miles on the second oil change and oil still right on the full mark and looks practically brand new.

Snartman619

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grey Ford Ranger Stx Fx2 Super Cab
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What is the recommended oil change? My Maverick has 3500 on it was going to change next week before I go on a road trip with my daughter. I was thinking it was 5k

Snartman619

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grey Ford Ranger Stx Fx2 Super Cab
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the EB 2.0 AWD

Sponsored

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Oil changing miles between changes,what brand of oil is best,what oil filter is best has been the biggest topic of conversation on cars forever.i personally will do every 3000,due to the turbo.10,000 miles might be stretching it.my dimes worth😃

OP
OP
CubanRedneck

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What is the recommended oil change? My Maverick has 3500 on it was going to change next week before I go on a road trip with my daughter. I was thinking it was 5k
Some people are saying 1500 miles... I can't find any documentation specifying that although as an engine builder is common practice. Nevertheless, I was told by a service adviser 5k!

All I have to say is to keep an eye on the hours and the oil.

Cannedtunafishisgood

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I would be careful if you live in the south US. The owners manual says oil changes should be 3000miles if in hot climate zones (page 444). They put example out this zone "Middle East, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa or locations with similar climates". Looking into world climate zones most of the southern US area fall within this zone. Would be an interesting warranty denial.

On subject, if you plan to keep your eco (direct injection) for a long time dont go over 5k oil changes. The oil gets fuel diluted and thins out which will slowly cause bearing failures.

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Diesel, 1968 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I called and asked I was told, and checked out, that I would get a notification on my dash telling me it was time for an oil change. I am at 7200 miles right now and no oil change.

Call sign "Slick"

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Service intervals are at 10k
Your correct on the 5k recommendation.......But, the first 2500 miles is breaking-in the engine, valves, crankshafts, camshaft,valves etc. The original oil is cleaning all this break-in "crap" in it's process. I'd strongly recommend changing it at 2500 miles simply to get the initial break-in junk outta the engine. If Ford says 5k, they must be comfortable with that number, but after 55 years
of driving experience, I've learned that fresh clean oil is your cheapest guarantee for engine longevity! IMHO

Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am at 2400 & check my oil, I still looks clean & doesn't have a strong fuel smell, I have been watching it to determine when I should change it. I am planning at 3000 now to do it for peace of mind.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Since earlier in the week, I have been planning to hit the road this weekend, and during a fluid inspection on my 2022 EcoBoost-powered Ford Maverick, I discovered that my oil was trashed. I am talking about dark, with a burnt and gas smell. Although it is pretty HOT out here in Southwest Florida, the viscosity was also quite heaving for a 5W 30. I am not sure if Ford is shipping these trucks with a unique break-in formulation, but if your odometer has clocked more the 2500 miles, I think you need to consider an oil service soon, rather than later. Here is my experience with a few extra mods. As always, your comments and suggestions are always welcome!
Always good to keep close attention to the oil in a turbo engine. Lose your oil quality= lose your turbo!

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a Lariat 2.0L Ecoboost AWD. I'm very confused as to what is the right answer regarding oil changes. I've heard of owners changing their oil after just 1000-1200 miles. Then there's 3000 mile intervals, then there's 5000 mile intervals so which one really is it? I live in South Florida so I'm betting the 3k interval is the way to go. Also, I don't put a lot of mileage on my Maverick. I typically average 500 miles a month and as my truck sits, I've had it three months and have only put 1700 miles on it. So in theory, I should have another few months or 1300 miles left until the first oil change, right?

Midwest Jim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline CRV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Eyeballing your oil won't tell you the TBN, viscosity, or levels of wear metals or fuel dilution. Change it early for peace of mind or do a used oil analysis to gather the facts.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a Lariat 2.0L Ecoboost AWD. I'm very confused as to what is the right answer regarding oil changes. I've heard of owners changing their oil after just 1000-1200 miles. Then there's 3000 mile intervals, then there's 5000 mile intervals so which one really is it? I live in South Florida so I'm betting the 3k interval is the way to go. Also, I don't put a lot of mileage on my Maverick. I typically average 500 miles a month and as my truck sits, I've had it three months and have only put 1700 miles on it. So in theory, I should have another few months or 1300 miles left until the first oil change, right?
Defer to the manual.
Sponsored