Sponsored

Will Krown rustproofing void sensors warranty?

JRock

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat, Luxury pkg., Shadow Black, fx4, 4k to
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I will be picking up my new Maverick next week. I was planning to have the truck rustproofed next week at Krown as I have had good experience in the past with previous vehicles. Living up here in Canada, rustproofing is a must. The dealer suggested that I not get Krown rustproofing claiming that the truck's sensors would likely not be covered under Ford warranty if there is any evidence of Krown being found on a malfunctioning sensor. He suggested that I instead purchase a small electronic device for $900 to help prevent rusting. Looking for any insight or advice on whether to proceed with oil based rustproofing such as Krown. Thanks!
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The electronic devices are truly snake oil. The principle works on ships because they're floating in a bath of electrolytic solution. Your vehicle (likely/hopefully) isn't.

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just an opinion, but I believe that would be a standard line from a dealer regarding any change that you might make to a vehicle. If it falls outside manufacturer design you are on your own, which is fair. A better question to ask them might be if they have seen electrical failures due to the product in question. Krown has been around for a while and yours certainly wouldn't be the first newer Ford to have it.

Had mine Krown undercoated in the fall, no issues so far.

Wish I had not listened to the dealer and had our Prius undercoated when we purchased it. Had it done later as well, no issues, but only after the deterioration had begun. I'll bet we could squeak out another couple of years out of that car had it been done sooner, rust is killing it.

Cheers.

OP
OP

JRock

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you. Just doesn't make sense to me as Krown states that their rustproofing will not void any manufacturer warranty and yet my dealer said that they have declined some sensor warranty repairs which they attributed to the use of Krown rustproofing product.
Think I will avoid the snake oil electronic device and go ahead with the Krown and take my chances with any potential sensor warranty issues.

Brian Wagg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, Lariat, Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hate to bring back an older topic/post here, but just got my maverick back from the dealer after my engine light came on.

Before taking it in, I ran the codes myself to find a P0496 and P0451 code. Dealer just gave it back saying the cause of the codes is a bad fuel pressure sensor (Parts on order). More specifically, the breather hole on the sensor is clogged with the krown spray, and as such, it won't be covered under warranty. Went to Krown and they claim the dealer should just be able to clean off the sensor, and the dealer (after telling them that) says the sensor is contaminated and the issue will continue to appear down the road if not replaced.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? I'm stuck with krown saying it's not their problem, and my dealer telling me it won't be covered under warranty 🤬

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let’s assume that the dealership could just clean off the sensor and permanently restore its function, should the dealership have to do that and eat an hour of their diagnostic time, labor, shop time etc. at no cost?

What is the price of the sensor?

I would drive the responsibility back on the party who applied the coating over a sensor.

Good luck.

OP
OP

JRock

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hope everything works out for you and that you have success dealing with Krown regarding their manufacturer approved guarantee. Please let us know the outcome.

I'd also be curious to know if someone could point out the location of the fuel pump sensor so that we can direct other oil spray services to avoid spraying this location to prevent a similar situation to what our fellow member is currently going through.

yoyomav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger 3.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would skip the krown and diy with cosmoline spray. Do it once and it will last for years. I hate waste my time every year with krown.

Brian Wagg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

What is the price of the sensor?
I've been quoted $35 for the sensor and $225 for labour, plus taxes. So $295 when it's all said and done. (it's worth noting that these are in Canadian dollars).

I would drive the responsibility back on the party who applied the coating over a sensor.
This is my plan right now too. I don't actually disagree with the dealership regarding this not being covered under warranty. Regardless of whether the sensor just needs cleaned or it needs to be fully replaced, the fault wasn't caused by ford but rather by Krown, and therefore they should be liable to cover the cost of the damages IMO.

I also don't understand how the krown tech was suggesting this wasn't any of their problem to deal with. Even if the sensor needs cleaned, there is going to be labour associated with cleaning the sensor. The dealership isn't going to do that for free, so regardless of the actual fix, Krown needs to be covering the associated costs...

Please let us know the outcome.
I'll be sure to post an update once I have one.

Brian Wagg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Small update, I took the maverick to another Ford dealer on the other side of town as recommended by the Krown location (claimed the 1st dealer regularly tries to pawn this issue off to Krown and not cover it under warranty). Funnily enough, after speaking with the service manager at dealer #2 (told him I wanted a second opinion on dealer #1's diagnosis), they too are saying this won't be covered under warranty and that they've been having issues with Krown damaging fuel pressure sensors. The service manager says he gets 3-4 of these cases a month.

After speaking to dealer #2, I went back to Krown and spoke directly with their manager. I've been told it's not their problem, but he'll pass this up to corporate (I'm fully expecting him to blow me off). I'll likely be calling Krown corporate tonight or tomorrow regarding this, as their website explicitly states that Krown won't void ANY manufacturers warranty (which it clearly has).

If the call to corporate doesn't go anywhere, I've been starting to read up on the in's and out's of small claims court, and potentially pursuing that avenue....

Sponsored
OP
OP

JRock

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the update. Please let us know how your discussion with Krown corporate goes. It's disappointing that your local Krown manager would not pursue this issue on your behalf with his corporate headquarters, although I'm not surprised. 😕

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Plus don't they re-apply Krown ever year so this could happen again and again?

swtiming8

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will be picking up my new Maverick next week. I was planning to have the truck rustproofed next week at Krown as I have had good experience in the past with previous vehicles. Living up here in Canada, rustproofing is a must. The dealer suggested that I not get Krown rustproofing claiming that the truck's sensors would likely not be covered under Ford warranty if there is any evidence of Krown being found on a malfunctioning sensor. He suggested that I instead purchase a small electronic device for $900 to help prevent rusting. Looking for any insight or advice on whether to proceed with oil based rustproofing such as Krown. Thanks!
I was going to Zebart rust proof when my Maverick came in but my dealer said there were too many crevices for it to be effective. He also recommended the electronic device that has been tested by the US military and he recommended it. US cost is $699. I went that route.

Last edited:

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hate to bring back an older topic/post here, but just got my maverick back from the dealer after my engine light came on.

Before taking it in, I ran the codes myself to find a P0496 and P0451 code. Dealer just gave it back saying the cause of the codes is a bad fuel pressure sensor (Parts on order). More specifically, the breather hole on the sensor is clogged with the krown spray, and as such, it won't be covered under warranty. Went to Krown and they claim the dealer should just be able to clean off the sensor, and the dealer (after telling them that) says the sensor is contaminated and the issue will continue to appear down the road if not replaced.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? I'm stuck with krown saying it's not their problem, and my dealer telling me it won't be covered under warranty 🤬
I undercoated mine myself and prior to spraying it, I wrapped every plug and sensor with aluminum foil and removed it when I was done. No issues so far, almost a year.
Sponsored