Sponsored

Will Ford be undercoating our Mavericks?

glohworm

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No vehicle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's going to be a concern of mine, living in Chicago. There are many aftermarket undercoating outfits, using all manner of rubberized coatings, and also films. I really don't have a clue how us cold weather owners will protect our trucks. Hope people here, through experience, have suggestions for the best way to go. Thanks
Sponsored

Fred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
That's going to be a concern of mine, living in Chicago. There are many aftermarket undercoating outfits, using all manner of rubberized coatings, and also films. I really don't have a clue how us cold weather owners will protect our trucks. Hope people here, through experience, have suggestions for the best way to go. Thanks
What have you done with your other vehicles, and why would this truck be any different?

Some people use an oil made for this purpose, others a more durable coating....others do nothing except rinse the underbody a few times during winter.

OP
OP

glohworm

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No vehicle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The last new car I ordered sight unseen was my 77 Olds Cutlass. I've been driving used cars ever since. Undercoating was not an option on any of them. I'm an old fart of 77, and I don't know the best way to go on this. This is the last vehicle I plan to own and I definitely don't want it to rust out under me.

foxwood28

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
The last new car I ordered sight unseen was my 77 Olds Cutlass. I've been driving used cars ever since. Undercoating was not an option on any of them. I'm an old fart of 77, and I don't know the best way to go on this. This is the last vehicle I plan to own and I definitely don't want it to rust out under me.
I live in St. Louis, so while I don't see the same amount of snow, none of my vehicles have an undercoat. I do try to get my car washed after periods of driving through salt. Just make sure the car wash you go to has undercoat/undercarriage cleaning offered. It's hit and miss for me, not all of them offer/have it

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do Ziebart and Rusty Jones franchises exist anymore? I used Ziebart in the 70's & 80's.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't worry, I'm sure the dealer will offer it to you when you go to finalize contract paperwork with the Finance Manager ;)

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
See if anyone in your area does Auto Armor, it is a thin plasticized coating that gets into all the nooks and crannies under the vehicle. Because it is thin it doesn't crack and flake off. The material used in the cavities (like inside the doors) is a stickier coating that expands and contracts with the sheet metal. No I do not work for the company, just had great experience with the product.

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't worry, I'm sure the dealer will offer it to you when you go to finalize contract paperwork with the Finance Manager ;)
This reminds me of the early 80's, the company I worked for bought a new VW Rabbit. The dealer rustproofed it before delivery. Later that year it was in an accident and had to have the LR quarter panel replaced. When we removed the damaged quarter the rustproofing was not there, just the access hole they plugged where they should have sprayed it in. The company went back to the dealer and was told, "The technician who did that rustproofing doesn't work here anymore". Only the underside of the vehicle that was visible got treated, the company got a screwing!

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Do Ziebart and Rusty Jones franchises exist anymore? I used Ziebart in the 70's & 80's.
I remember them. I had Rusty Jones once down here in Florida.

Sponsored

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hello Rusty Jones, goodby rusty car...

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The first thing you want to protect your truck is the molded mudguards which unfortunately will delay your order. Ive had them on every truck Ive owned. They keep the rockers from taking a beating from rocks etc that chip paint and start rust.

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The body will be fully e-coated and painted. You may see some surface rust form on the front & rear sub-frames after a few winters, which is fairly normal. Ford's corrosion warranty covers the first five years (unlimited mileage), which should cover any corrosion to painted body panels. So if you notice any issues there I'd recommend having the dealer take care of it.

For any DIYers that want some added corrosion protection I'd recommend a Fluid Film kit (link here). Hook it up to an air compressor and basically "paint" on the film to any underbody components you want to protect, as well as inside of sub-frames.

Bbot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL
See if anyone in your area does Auto Armor, it is a thin plasticized coating that gets into all the nooks and crannies under the vehicle. Because it is thin it doesn't crack and flake off. The material used in the cavities (like inside the doors) is a stickier coating that expands and contracts with the sheet metal. No I do not work for the company, just had great experience with the product.
And Line-X
Sponsored