Sponsored

Will Ford be undercoating our Mavericks?

OP
OP

glohworm

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No vehicle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks so much to everyone for their input, especially to kingranchero! I just don't want this truck to crap out on me before I do, rust wise, that is.
Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What have you done with your other vehicles, and why would this truck be any different?

Some people use an oil made for this purpose, others a more durable coating....others do nothing except rinse the underbody a few times during winter.
I have been using Ziebart wax coatings. Been pretty good. They tend to flake off and fail at 5 -8 years. But you can then reapply - I can confirm however the Wax coatings work really well - 0 rust issues on the frames of past 2 Tacomas. Make sure you don't let them put a rubberized coating on. Should never ever use rubber undercoating

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The last new car I ordered sight unseen was my 77 Olds Cutlass. I've been driving used cars ever since. Undercoating was not an option on any of them. I'm an old fart of 77, and I don't know the best way to go on this. This is the last vehicle I plan to own and I definitely don't want it to rust out under me.
If you make it to 97 you'll be looking at the 2042 nuclear powered Maverick.. Always something to look forward to. ( and it will be self driving so if you can't see - it won't matter )

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
Just had my CRV sprayed with Ziebart oil (name?). Not the rubber stuff. It's a dripless spray. From the looks of it I like it. Kinda thick and waxy when it dried. I'm thinking its like fluid film or Wool wax. A product that gets great reviews is cosmoline rp 342. Only problem is no one sprays it you have to do yourself. I'll pick up a few cans of cosmoline and do bottom of doors, rocker seems and anywhere else I can reach. Then will take to ziebart.

Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just had my CRV sprayed with Ziebart oil (name?). Not the rubber stuff. It's a dripless spray. From the looks of it I like it. Kinda thick and waxy when it dried. I'm thinking its like fluid film or Wool wax. A product that gets great reviews is cosmoline rp 342. Only problem is no one sprays it you have to do yourself. I'll pick up a few cans of cosmoline and do bottom of doors, rocker seems and anywhere else I can reach. Then will take to ziebart.
It is very much like WholWax. But a little thicker.
I've been using Ziebart Wax Since 2008 with great results. Beginning to think however that Fluid film will be superior in the long run due to it's self sealing capability.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The body will be fully e-coated and painted. You may see some surface rust form on the front & rear sub-frames after a few winters, which is fairly normal. Ford's corrosion warranty covers the first five years (unlimited mileage), which should cover any corrosion to painted body panels. So if you notice any issues there I'd recommend having the dealer take care of it.

For any DIYers that want some added corrosion protection I'd recommend a Fluid Film kit (link here). Hook it up to an air compressor and basically "paint" on the film to any underbody components you want to protect, as well as inside of sub-frames.
I completely agree with you! Great protection these days from the manufacturers - For a little more help in snowy salt roads, Fluid film is the way to go. Unfortunately it looks like my Mav will arrive in Jan and I can't climb under in the snow so where do I find a shop to spray the FF before my first salty drive? Hmmm

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was not aware anyone still did under coating. With the anti rust corrosion process auto companies use going though car wash periodically should do the trick. Your new vehicle should have a factory perforation warranty.

If you follow though with a ziebart process do not let them drill any holes like they once did to to treat rocker panel area as an example. If you break though the metals by drilling that is where the rust will start.

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I completely agree with you! Great protection these days from the manufacturers - For a little more help in snowy salt roads, Fluid film is the way to go. Unfortunately it looks like my Mav will arrive in Jan and I can't climb under in the snow so where do I find a shop to spray the FF before my first salty drive? Hmmm
Tough call, Ziebarts might do it, or similar shops in your area. You could also order the kit and rent a hoist in a heated garage somewhere, or work with a mechanic's shop to either use their hoist or do the undercoat for you. I did mine on jack stands and it wasn't the most pleasant job - I'd definitely recommend a full hoist.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The last new car I ordered sight unseen was my 77 Olds Cutlass. I've been driving used cars ever since. Undercoating was not an option on any of them. I'm an old fart of 77, and I don't know the best way to go on this. This is the last vehicle I plan to own and I definitely don't want it to rust out under me.
My Maverick arrived December 8th. but I had it at Bullet Liner before any slush or salt on roads. I'd keep it as clean as possible then get it rustproofed & undercoated. Bullet uses Auto Armor, check it out.

Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Bulldog or Spartan Mr. Worm?

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's going to be a concern of mine, living in Chicago. There are many aftermarket undercoating outfits, using all manner of rubberized coatings, and also films. I really don't have a clue how us cold weather owners will protect our trucks. Hope people here, through experience, have suggestions for the best way to go. Thanks
Depends on where you live: Chicago? I would bet that’s a dealer add on no matter what you want. In Texas, probably not 😉

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's going to be a concern of mine, living in Chicago. There are many aftermarket undercoating outfits, using all manner of rubberized coatings, and also films. I really don't have a clue how us cold weather owners will protect our trucks. Hope people here, through experience, have suggestions for the best way to go. Thanks
I'm down the street (sort of) from you in Lemont and I've been considering that myself. Still on the fence. I might be receiving my XLT around the end of February, still in the slush/ salt season. I'm researching places now including DIY methods.

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had mine done at Ziebart. Full undercoat and rust proof treatment. You go back once a year for an inspection and touchup ($55). The manufacturer warranties are not long enough, and the factory treatments are not durable enough to withstand Snow Belt road chemicals, IMHO.

The only downside of Ziebart is that the initial treatment smells bad so you will want to park outside for a couple of weeks, if possible.
Sponsored