Sponsored

Why do so many gear heads HATE the maverick....?

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You think they hate the Maverick.....roll in sporting a Mustang Mach-E and just watch the seething hate broil from within and the hateful gazes pass your way.
Mach-e is cool for what it is, but its not a Mustang. Im a proud hater...
Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I always think of most humans as monkeys in a big cage throwing monkey poop at each other. Insulting others is a great way to deal with your own insecurities. So I never take any of it that car smack talk seriously.

Identity tied to cars? You betcha. You ain't lived in Nascar Land bro. Or Tesla Land. Or it used to be Prius Land. Cars are the biggest identity badges out there. Well maybe the third biggest, behind trophy wives and oversized McMansions.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't recall the last time I knew somebody whose entire identity was tied to the vehicle they owned or drove. 🤷‍♂️
You know a lot of lame people lol. Everyone i know customizes their rides based on their personalities.

cannon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I live in Michigan...tons of car cruises, shows...when I go to them...NOT showing my maverick or anything, just driving it there and parking...Why oh why do all the gear heads HATE the maverick....? They all have the small peter syndrome and drive giant beefed up trucks...the haters are just ALL OVER against the maverick. I love the bugger, everything about it...but god almighty, the assholes out there that bad mouth it...they can't even contain their hatred in your presence. ok...rant over.
I'd assume it's because it's built in Mexico and you're in Michigan.

AUDIOZONE

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, ranger, mustang, maverick on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't recall the last time I knew somebody whose entire identity was tied to the vehicle they owned or drove. 🤷‍♂️
Oh man, you gotta get out to some truck and tractor pulls.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You know a lot of lame people lol. Everyone i know customizes their rides based on their personalities.
which 1 of your 5 listed vehicles would that be then- or do you have multiple personalities?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
what kind of vehicle would a totally arrogant @$$hole drive then? Or a know-it-all? Introvert? Curious minds and all..

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cars are deeply deeply tied to identity and are one of the biggest and most visible displays of status. America is a car culture and that is deeply tied to identity, status, competition and relationship attractiveness.

Some people see it as an object they have while other see it as part of THEM. It depends on the status folks want to perceive.

Drive a cheap car amongst the snob elite?
Drive a clean truck amongst "workin' men"?
Drive a low to medium MPG amongst environmentalists?
Drive a ICE amongst Tesla weirdos?
Drive a two door amongst parent groups?
Drive a modern car amongst classic car folks?
Drive a scooter amongst motorcyclists?
Drive a car amongst anti-car folks?
Ride a bicycle around car drivers?

If you stand out, you're gonna not only get shit but a lot of insecurities are gonna come out. America is full of insecure folks who cannot handle someone not sharing their values or status. You being happy to own something they dislike, questions their entire identity. And they can't have that.

My boss and other leaders at work to this day give me shit about not driving a "nice car". They all know how much I make and that i "can afford something nice". They are so hyper focused on the status symbol they don't factor in that I not only need a truck for my hobbies but drive less than 75 miles a month. A $50k+ big truck is a giant waste for me, but to them it is me not playing in their status game.

Last edited:

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm thinking of putting a decal on the rear window ( But I get 45Mpg ) open to suggestions, when it gets here. I can't imagine driving up to the pump in a daily driver that gets single digits.
Not at a time when gas prices are spiking over $5 a gallon.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My buddy Harley growing up used to always say: "F*&k em Butch, feed em beans". Never sure how beans came into the equation, but that was Harley. Maybe that saying applies here. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Haters gonna hate….

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The Maverick is exactly what I need for my lifestyle and I enjoy driving it. Fuel economy is great, I can take leisurely drives with no major hit to the wallet, and it gives me some decent utility. What I can't fit in the bed, I can haul in my utility trailer. That's where I'm at in life and the Maverick is great!

I have friends with classic muscle cars and I've been to some of these shows. I admire the cars and trucks and the celebration of that era, but I certainly wouldn't expect my Maverick to warrant attention from these enthusiasts.
I can imagine they feel threatened a bit by the trend, like Dodge announcing the end of V8's, gasoline and so forth. I understand that and I don't begrudge them wanting to hold on to something so impactful and important to their lives. Some younger guys I know don't really understand how important automobiles were to boys/men before the age of social media, gaming, and other modern cultural distractions.
Cars are deeply deeply tied to identity and are one of the biggest and most visible displays of status. America is a car culture and that is deeply tied to identity, status, competition and relationship attractiveness.

Some people see it as an object they have while other see it as part of THEM. It depends on the status folks want to perceive.

Drive a cheap car amongst the snob elite?
Drive a clean truck amongst "workin' men"?
Drive a low to medium MPG amongst environmentalists?
Drive a ICE amongst Tesla weirdos?
Drive a two door amongst parent groups?
Drive a modern car amongst classic car folks?
Drive a scooter amongst motorcyclists?
Drive a car amongst anti-car folks?
Ride a bicycle around car drivers?

If you stand out, you're gonna not only get shit but a lot of insecurities are gonna come out. America is full of insecure folks who cannot handle someone not sharing their values or status. You being happy to own something they dislike, questions their entire identity. And they can't have that.

My boss and other leaders at work to this day give me shit about not driving a "nice car". They all know how much I make and that i "can afford something nice". They are so hyper focused on the status symbol they don't factor in that I not only need a truck for my hobbies but drive less than 75 miles a month. A $50k+ big truck is a giant waste for me, but to them is me not playing in their status game.
Ya, there's plenty of complaints about the small bed. Me to, but I'm just gonna have to hack it. Mostly for camping. And, my trailers more than make up for the small bed.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

what kind of vehicle would a totally arrogant @$$hole drive then? Or a know-it-all? Introvert? Curious minds and all..
BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz , Bentley, Lamborghini, Lexus, Porsche, Lincoln, Cadillac, McLaren, Mini, GM, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, KIA, Mazda, RAM, and so on and so forth (every vehicle brand, lets be honest). There are millions of each that drive all these brands and the different types of vehicles those companies make. The highlighted brands cover your first question well. ;)

Personally I haven't had any Maverick hate. I've had lots of people ask me what it is, and if I like it. Other than that, nothing. I've gotten plenty of compliments from traditional big truck drivers too. :cool: Around here the only vehicles people really care about are expensive ones, most people in my area have combined incomes over $150k, so that's a given.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
Till you put the pedal to the metal and smoke their asses...that shuts them up.
It has nothing to do with the performance. It's all about Ford putting the Mustang name on a mid-size SUV crossover.

Mach-e is cool for what it is, but its not a Mustang. Im a proud hater...
Case in point. Check mate!

Last edited:

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have owned at least one vehicle from every mainstream brand of Germany, Korea, and Japan. So I have no real brand loyalty.

I learned a long time ago that I could like and enjoy a car for what it is. I don't care what anyone else thinks of it, and liking it doesn't make me any less of a car enthusiast.
Sponsored