First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Below article shows the Maverick has outsold the Santa Cruz 68 percent to 32 percent. Cost, ride, and appearance seem to lead the reasons. Practical also comes to mind for me. Love mine and, of course, I am partial to Cactus Gray!! (y) Just turned 1K on miles; 30.6 mpg, mostly eco mode. Non-hybrid.

Here's Why The Ford Maverick Pickup Is So Popular (fordauthority.com)

Here’s Why The Ford Maverick Pickup Is So Popular

By Brett Foote

August 28, 2022 3:00 am

Ford Maverick Why the Ford Maverick is so Popular Package-Exterior-008-front-three-quarters-1024x456

The 2022 Ford Maverick has dominated its segment though the second quarter of this year amid tremendous demand for the new compact pickup, which has faced a tremendous backlog of orders since its launch. In fact, the Maverick outsold the Ford Ranger through the first half of 2022 and its chief rival, the Hyundai Santa Cruz, by a significant margin, in spite of facing numerous production constraints. There are a few simple reasons why the Ford Maverick has been such a hot commodity thus far, too.
Sales Numbers - Compact Pickups - H1 2022 - USA

TOTAL*56,9560
MODELYTD 22 / YTD 21YTD 22YTD 21YTD 22 SHARE
FORD MAVERICK*38,753068%
HYUNDAI SANTA CRUZ*18,203032%

Ford Maverick Why the Ford Maverick is so Popular -Hybrid-Exterior-027-side-parellel-parking-720x359

Price
With a starting price of just $20,995 (sans destination and delivery), the Ford Maverick is a tremendous bargain by any measure, and particularly so given the fact that it’s a four-door pickup with a bed. Aside from anyone looking for an affordable and efficient mode of transportation, the Maverick has also proven to be a big hit among Millennials and Gen Z – it’s TikTok’s most popular vehicle by far, in fact – as well as fleet owners and first-time truck buyers as well, largely because of its bargain-basement price tag.

Ford Maverick Why the Ford Maverick is so Popular brid-Exterior-039-hybrid-badge-on-tailgate-720x453

Standard Hybrid
That small outlay of cash also nets buyers a standard hybrid powertrain in the Ford Maverick, which is, in many ways, more appealing than the optional turbocharged Ford 2.0L I-4 EcoBoost powerplant. The hybrid’s 2.5L I-4 gas engine and electric motor provide an incredibly impressive EPA estimated 42 miles-per-gallon in the city, 33 on the highway, and 37 combined, which is on par with many economy cars on sale today.

In fact, the Maverick’s biggest conquest is the Honda Civic, and it actually beat out that same model in a recent comparison test. Thus, it’s no wonder the Maverick Hybrid has exceeded Ford’s expectations thus far, while also remaining a mainstay on Kelley Blue Book’s list of the top considered electrified vehicles.

Ford Maverick Why the Ford Maverick is so Popular 4-Brazil-Exterior-004-Front-Three-Quarters-720x480

Platform Advantages
For many years, any truck that didn’t feature body-on-frame construction was largely shunned by enthusiasts and traditional pickup owners, who will point to the fact that a unibody design is less capable. However, the Maverick’s Ford C2 platform – shared with the Ford Bronco Sport, Ford Escape, and Lincoln Corsair, gives the pickup an advantage in terms of its more composed ride than body-on-frame pickups like the Ranger and Ford F-150. For those that prioritize ride over capability and don’t need to haul or tow heavy loads, that’s a big advantage, and yet another reason the Maverick is so appealing.

Unfortunately, popularity doesn’t come without downsides, and for the Maverick, there’s a big one – it’s proving rather tough to get one’s hands on the red-hot compact pickup. Many order holders have been left in the proverbial dark for months and don’t even know the status of their orders, as Ford Authority reported back in May, while the limited dealer stock that is available is frequently accompanied by large markups.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick Hybrid is cheaper to run than Tesla I had (when using superchargers). I love that it's self charging. Very practical vehicle that drives like a Tesla, also a truck & SUV that is cheaper to run than EV (when using public charger).

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Below article shows the Maverick has outsold the Santa Cruz 68 percent to 32 percent. Cost, ride, and appearance seem to lead the reasons. Practical also comes to mind for me. Love mine and, of course, I am partial to Cactus Gray!! (y) Just turned 1K on miles; 30.6 mpg, mostly eco mode. Non-hybrid.

Here's Why The Ford Maverick Pickup Is So Popular (fordauthority.com)
This topic was talked about before this article was written.

1. Price
2. Pracitabily
3. Possible MPG

I grew up with the Datsun Pick-Up, a compact truck, and have always wanted another, but no one made one. I bought a Dodge Ram and loved it, but try parking it in a crowded parking lot. I never used the truck to a 1/4 of its potential, so I sold it.
When I saw the Maverick and a Hybrid were standard, it was a no-brainer. My truck was 29K OTD, and it is what I remember the original compact trucks were, basic transportation and weekend runs to the big box stores.
I'm averaging 42MPG; this is over 6800 miles, I've had three adults in the cab, and everyone was comfortable, I have made multiple runs to the Home Depot/Lowes, nursery, and other big box stores around town, and parking is a breeze.

Now, do I wish some options could have been had, YES, for me..

Would love to see easier way to open the door, my BMW, or Honda has it, just touch the handle and the car unlocks, I miss this.
Push Start would be nice.
Wish all the windows would be single push up and down.
Have the ability to have a better radio option, so me this has been one of the biggest weak spots of the Maverick the connectivity just plains sucks.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just think Ford and others have come back around to a thirst for a truly small pickup, especially as pickups in general just keep getting bigger and bigger. Also, women and we geezers also drive pickups, and don't necessarily want something you need a ladder to get up into. I've got an old 2008 Ford Ranger, probably the 6th I've owned across the years, and having a truck bed at my hip height is so damned convenient, especially as I get older. The Maverick is the perfect size for people who want the usability of a truck but don't have anything to prove (or have a real need for) with the full or even mid sized trucks.

IronHammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue XLT (no lux) FX4, 4K
I am downsizing from a GMC Sierra 1500 for better fuel economy while still having towing/hauling capacity. I'm picking up my EB with 4K/FX4 AWD in a few weeks because it's the only one I could find but my holy grail is a Maverick Hybrid. Again, it can do all the trucky things I need it to while getting even better fuel economy than the EB. I just don't want to wait any longer and my GMC loses value with each passing day so I will get the EB while I wait for the hybrid.

My only worry is if I will be able to tolerate moving from the roomy, higher driving elevation of my GMC Sierra down to the smaller, lower-to-the-ground Maverick. Time will tell.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd wager a guess build quality was not one of the reasons.. :ROFLMAO:

The Maverick Hybrid has no real competition. Without the hybrid powertrain, the Maverick would be a lot less popular. Probably still - on price alone - more popular than the Santa Cruz but 40-60% of Maverick demand was for the hybrid.

IronHammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue XLT (no lux) FX4, 4K
I'd wager a guess build quality was not one of the reasons.. :ROFLMAO:

The Maverick Hybrid has no real competition. Without the hybrid powertrain, the Maverick would be a lot less popular. Probably still - on price alone - more popular than the Santa Cruz but 40-60% of Maverick demand was for the hybrid.
I may be wrong but isn't the 2.0 EB Maverick the most fuel efficient truck on the market?

troynm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat hybrid, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may be wrong but isn't the 2.0 EB Maverick the most fuel efficient truck on the market?
The hybrid gets better gas mileage. Perhaps the 2.0 EB Maverick is the best all gas (non-hybrid) engine truck.

Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick is part of the solution to America's pickup truck problem. Have had mine for nearly 6 months now & it has exceeded my expectations. I have not had ANY issues with it in 4500 miles I have driven it.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick is part of the solution to America's pickup truck problem. Have had mine for nearly 6 months now & it has exceeded my expectations. I have not had ANY issues with it in 4500 miles I have driven it.
Dan do some vids of your road trips like this. I will subscribe!

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's the modern model T. Ford produced an affordable, practical vehicle that is nice enough that people actually want it instead of just settling for it.

Making a hybrid version guaranteed it would be a "crossover" hit with people not part of the usual pickup crowd. Putting an optional 250hp turbo engine in it guaranteed it would be a hit WITH the usual pickup crowd. That was the master stroke IMO.

It's also fun to drive - plenty of power and it handles MUCH better than I expected. That is the kind of thing that will help bring people back for more.

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1956 THunderbird , 2016 Acura MDX (Wifes car)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you read all the things people write on the forums as I do, the Maverick was what people were waiting for someone to build. Most people were driving vehicles that were over 10 years old, and needed to be replaced soon. Buyers got sticker shock since the last time they bought a new car. 10-15 years ago you could buy a car at half the price of todays cars, and getting a hybrid combination car truck just made it more desirable. Everyone, including myself loves what the Maverick is, + the fact it fits in your normal size garage. Thumbs up to Ford, smart thinking on their part!
Sponsored