First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, you're right. I meant to say best non-hybrid, all-gas truck.
I’m not much of a dodge fan, but the full size Ram with the eco diesel is rated @ 32mpg’s on the highway if’s anyone needs the bigger truck capability and decent fuel efficient (diesel fuel costs more than regular gas).
i myself love my little hot rod ecobeast, the size & fun factor is what I was missing for awhile;)
Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ONLY issue I have with the Mav is I wish they could bump the towing rating on the hybrid up. My minivan tows 3500lbs, I wish the Hybrid could hit that mark, too.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m not much of a dodge fan, but the full size Ram with the eco diesel is rated @ 32mpg’s on the highway if’s anyone needs the bigger truck capability and decent fuel efficient (diesel fuel costs more than regular gas).
i myself love my little hot rod ecobeast, the size & fun factor is what I was missing for awhile;)
the fact that diesel costs more here though is a pretty substantial bummer.

Fun fact: it's cheaper to manufacture diesel, and some places it's the same or cheaper than unleaded. USA taxes it more though to make up for wear and tear on roads from semi trucks...

DoubleXL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
North America needed a decent priced small truck for over a decade. In 2011 i was looking into importing a kei truck or two and fukashima happened. So thought a canyon/ colorado would fill the hole... sticker price was 41k for a new 2011 canyon in 2011. Sticker price on a silverado was 38k and with a 5.3L 6 speed the gas milage wasnt much worse.

Mike215

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I needed a car as my 2008 Honda was getting up there in age and mileage and since I now WFH I was just going to buy a Civic.

Saw the Maverick and its basically an economy car with a bed which is perfect for me as I don't do truck stuff but do homeowner stuff.

Just drove down to NC from PA with 2 friends and we loaded up our stuff in the bed and they were quite impressed with how smooth and quiet it is.

I love it and bought another one.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This topic was talked about before this article was written.

1. Price
2. Pracitabily
3. Possible MPG

I grew up with the Datsun Pick-Up, a compact truck, and have always wanted another, but no one made one. I bought a Dodge Ram and loved it, but try parking it in a crowded parking lot. I never used the truck to a 1/4 of its potential, so I sold it.
When I saw the Maverick and a Hybrid were standard, it was a no-brainer. My truck was 29K OTD, and it is what I remember the original compact trucks were, basic transportation and weekend runs to the big box stores.
I'm averaging 42MPG; this is over 6800 miles, I've had three adults in the cab, and everyone was comfortable, I have made multiple runs to the Home Depot/Lowes, nursery, and other big box stores around town, and parking is a breeze.

Now, do I wish some options could have been had, YES, for me..

Would love to see easier way to open the door, my BMW, or Honda has it, just touch the handle and the car unlocks, I miss this.
Push Start would be nice.
Wish all the windows would be single push up and down.
Have the ability to have a better radio option, so me this has been one of the biggest weak spots of the Maverick the connectivity just plains sucks.
"Push Start would be nice."

I had to push start some cars back in the day and never liked it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd wager a guess build quality was not one of the reasons.. :ROFLMAO:

The Maverick Hybrid has no real competition. Without the hybrid powertrain, the Maverick would be a lot less popular. Probably still - on price alone - more popular than the Santa Cruz but 40-60% of Maverick demand was for the hybrid.
Yeah, when I saw that you could get a hybrid for $20k and the same price as the non-hybrid Maverick it was a no brainer! I had a Camry Hybrid that I really liked that cost thousands more than the regular Camry.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Below article shows the Maverick has outsold the Santa Cruz 68 percent to 32 percent. Cost, ride, and appearance seem to lead the reasons. Practical also comes to mind for me. Love mine and, of course, I am partial to Cactus Gray!! (y) Just turned 1K on miles; 30.6 mpg, mostly eco mode. Non-hybrid.

Here's Why The Ford Maverick Pickup Is So Popular (fordauthority.com)

Here’s Why The Ford Maverick Pickup Is So Popular

By Brett Foote

August 28, 2022 3:00 am

Package-Exterior-008-front-three-quarters-1024x456.jpg

The 2022 Ford Maverick has dominated its segment though the second quarter of this year amid tremendous demand for the new compact pickup, which has faced a tremendous backlog of orders since its launch. In fact, the Maverick outsold the Ford Ranger through the first half of 2022 and its chief rival, the Hyundai Santa Cruz, by a significant margin, in spite of facing numerous production constraints. There are a few simple reasons why the Ford Maverick has been such a hot commodity thus far, too.
Sales Numbers - Compact Pickups - H1 2022 - USA

MODELYTD 22 / YTD 21YTD 22YTD 21YTD 22 SHARE
TOTAL*56,9560
FORD MAVERICK*38,753068%
HYUNDAI SANTA CRUZ*18,203032%

-Hybrid-Exterior-027-side-parellel-parking-720x359.jpg

Price
With a starting price of just $20,995 (sans destination and delivery), the Ford Maverick is a tremendous bargain by any measure, and particularly so given the fact that it’s a four-door pickup with a bed. Aside from anyone looking for an affordable and efficient mode of transportation, the Maverick has also proven to be a big hit among Millennials and Gen Z – it’s TikTok’s most popular vehicle by far, in fact – as well as fleet owners and first-time truck buyers as well, largely because of its bargain-basement price tag.

brid-Exterior-039-hybrid-badge-on-tailgate-720x453.jpg

Standard Hybrid
That small outlay of cash also nets buyers a standard hybrid powertrain in the Ford Maverick, which is, in many ways, more appealing than the optional turbocharged Ford 2.0L I-4 EcoBoost powerplant. The hybrid’s 2.5L I-4 gas engine and electric motor provide an incredibly impressive EPA estimated 42 miles-per-gallon in the city, 33 on the highway, and 37 combined, which is on par with many economy cars on sale today.

In fact, the Maverick’s biggest conquest is the Honda Civic, and it actually beat out that same model in a recent comparison test. Thus, it’s no wonder the Maverick Hybrid has exceeded Ford’s expectations thus far, while also remaining a mainstay on Kelley Blue Book’s list of the top considered electrified vehicles.

4-Brazil-Exterior-004-Front-Three-Quarters-720x480.jpg

Platform Advantages
For many years, any truck that didn’t feature body-on-frame construction was largely shunned by enthusiasts and traditional pickup owners, who will point to the fact that a unibody design is less capable. However, the Maverick’s Ford C2 platform – shared with the Ford Bronco Sport, Ford Escape, and Lincoln Corsair, gives the pickup an advantage in terms of its more composed ride than body-on-frame pickups like the Ranger and Ford F-150. For those that prioritize ride over capability and don’t need to haul or tow heavy loads, that’s a big advantage, and yet another reason the Maverick is so appealing.

Unfortunately, popularity doesn’t come without downsides, and for the Maverick, there’s a big one – it’s proving rather tough to get one’s hands on the red-hot compact pickup. Many order holders have been left in the proverbial dark for months and don’t even know the status of their orders, as Ford Authority reported back in May, while the limited dealer stock that is available is frequently accompanied by large markups.
I can't figure out why Ford sells the Maverick so cheap, especially a hybrid. I think they're stupid for pricing it so low! They could mark it up $10k and still sell them easily. What were they thinking???

todd92

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 (2), Edge ST, Edge Titanium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's so much simpler. The Maverick looks like a truck. The Santa Cruz looks like a an overgrown Subaru Brat. No further analysis needed.
Sponsored