Sponsored

Torque Steer Normal?

ShortestTruck47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hybrid Maverick
Is torque steer normal with the hybrid? Picked it up from the dealer this past week and realized it pulled to the right. The dealer said they couldn't find any pull and a couple days later I realized it was only while accelerating. I have mostly driven RWD and I get the concept of torque steer and why it might be a thing, however I also can't find any posts complaining about it so I am curious if it's normal. Thanks!
Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Shouldn't be.....normally torque steer is a byproduct of more torque available from the engine than the FWD drivetrain is able to safely utilize, and is usually only apparent under hard acceleration.

If you're experiencing this under normal acceleration, something seems off.

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, it's not normal for a hybrid. If you had a FWD EcoBoost and a heavy foot, you might experience torque steer.

Your Lariat has "Lane Centering Assist." Have you turned that off?

If you're driving in Normal mode (Sport mode makes steering and accelerator more responsive) on a flat road without much camber (i.e. center of road is not much higher than side of road) and your tires all have the correct pressure, your Maverick should not pull to the right under acceleration.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd say it's normal (especially on FWD Fords). I've experienced it on my Maverick, my EcoSport Loaner, and my Fusion Hybrid Loaner.

My Corolla doesn't have ANY torque steer but the Corolla doesn't have a lot of low end torque anyway.

93nighthawk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Transit 150, 97 Aerostar AWD, future XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is normal on FWD vehicles. It does not take a lot of power to get torque steer, you just need to adjust your driving style.

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's normal on all fwd vehicles

OP
OP

ShortestTruck47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hybrid Maverick
Would torque steer normally pull so much that you would depart the lane in 100 feet hands off the wheel? I don't accelerate aggressively by any means

Last edited:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Would torque steer normally pull so much that you would depart the lane in 100 feet?
Again, if you 1/2 throttle or less, IT IS NOT NORMAL for a FWD Maverick.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's normal on all fwd vehicles
I have been driving only FWD cars since 1985 & it is NOT normal on all front wheel drive vehicles, the only time I only experienced it with 1 car & that was because of the tires it came with. I'm not saying no FWD vehicles do it. It's still easier to control than a rear drive, where the back end is always trying to pass the front end. Even in sport mode with traction control off my EB Maverick will light up the tires if you want, but there is no torque steer.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been driving only FWD cars since 1985 & it is NOT normal on all front wheel drive vehicles, the only time I only experienced it with 1 car & that was because of the tires it came with. I'm not saying no FWD vehicles do it. It's still easier to control than a rear drive, where the back end is always trying to pass the front end. Even in sport mode with traction control off my EB Maverick will light up the tires if you want, but there is no torque steer.
My wife's Dodge Grand caravan has a ton of torque steer. Granted it has almost 300hp.

Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Only time I have seen torque steer on my hybrid is under hard acceleration on an on ramp. By hard I mean flooring it 0-100% on the power gauge.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Is torque steer normal with the hybrid? Picked it up from the dealer this past week and realized it pulled to the right. The dealer said they couldn't find any pull and a couple days later I realized it was only while accelerating. I have mostly driven RWD and I get the concept of torque steer and why it might be a thing, however I also can't find any posts complaining about it so I am curious if it's normal. Thanks!
Hi there! This doesn’t sound like the experience we want you to be having with your Maverick. Please go ahead and send a private message to us with your VIN and dealership information. I’d be happy to look into this for you. Thank you

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The lane departure system works with the hybrid braking system and induces massive torque steer when going around tight curves with lane striping. The way it tracks around curved acceleration ramps is truly amazing. Under acceleration the power goes to the outside wheel causing the car to stay in the lane probably better than you could do by steering alone. It is not just to nudge you back in your lane on a straight road.
If you don't like it. It can an be shut off by hitting the button on the end of the left stalk or going through a bunch of screens to disable assist mode in the lane departure system. It is not well documented in the manual.
Sponsored