Sponsored

Combined torque that Maverick hybrid will produce?

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm pretty sure that's a good day to blow up the transmission...
Gotta pay to play.....and Im betting if it is quality planetary gears, another 30-50 herspers probably wouldnt hurt it.....
Sponsored

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am looking at the video of the straight line acceleration and noticing that the battery is only providing torque for a couple of seconds off the line. It again provides torque at at between 20-40 mph. I think this is programmed in by Ford to work well with all the other drive components. Not the least of which is the tire's traction on the road. I recently drove a Chevy Volt electric and they have it set up so you can easily spin the tires from a standing stop. I think they set it up that way to impress consumers. It is fun for awhile but ultimately annoying. Ford puts the added torque when the drive train can best handle it best and you can use it. The drive modes just change when the added torque is delivered. The fact that the 0-60 times did not change means to me that the torque curve is just being contoured for a driving experience and not changing the overall power (HP) being delivered.
Tuners could modify all that with a computer box. You could get the electric motor to work for more than a few seconds and get the spinning tires and high numbers for instantaneous starting torque. It would be difficult to drive. In fact you could make it downright dangerous to drive. I prefer the power to be delivered smoothly with a little left in reserve for when I want to pass someone. That is what Ford did.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1 Watt is defined as 1 Joule/sec.
1 joule is defined as the work done by a force of 1 Newton applied over 1 meter.

Scientists agreed on these definitions centuries ago. Your choice to get with the program.
You (and I) already said that a Watt is a unit of power. And a Joule is a unit of energy. We agree again. You are now using another equation, which does NOT say Watt is energy; it says Watt is a rate unit of energy. I already said it could be a rate of transfer. And I already said we wouldn't agree, yet you persist.

Like I said, talking about energy is moot unless we're opening up the battery and run some equations there.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I recently drove a Chevy Volt electric and they have it set up so you can easily spin the tires from a standing stop. I think they set it up that way to impress consumers. It is fun for awhile but ultimately annoying.
Volt owner here - are you sure it was a Volt? I cannot force wheelspin on my 2013 Volt, the traction control prevents it. Just strong quiet acceleration...

I haven't tried in the snow yet, but will see the winter.

maggie06

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 crv 2022 oxford white maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went and saw a xlt hybrid at Villa Ford last Week and asked The trainer what the combined torque was.

His response was he didn't know, and the engineers would not say.

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
You (and I) already said that a Watt is a unit of power. And a Joule is a unit of energy. We agree again. You are now using another equation, which does NOT say Watt is energy; it says Watt is a rate unit of energy. ...
You have misunderstood. The second definition says nothing about power, but rather the equivalence of mechanical work (force through a distance) and electrical energy.

Power = IV = current x voltage = Watts = Joule/s
Power = Fv = force x velocity = Nm/s = Joule/s

Note that Force x Distance is Energy. Force x Velocity is Power.

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Gotta pay to play.....and Im betting if it is quality planetary gears, another 30-50 herspers probably wouldnt hurt it.....
I would like to give you a slow clap for using "herspers" in a post

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would like to give you a slow clap for using "herspers" in a post
I feel you are the only one who has caught that and I've used it on here a lot.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Note that Force x Distance is Energy
You are persistent at wanting to say I misunderstand.

If we all take your word for that ^ definition of energy, then other unexpected things also are energy. So, we are to believe gravity is energy. Gravity is a force acting over a distance too. There are simple equations, like U=mgh, but my guess is you're misunderstanding that potential gravitational energy and equations like that don't mean that the mass m has "the" energy or that force F is "the" energy. Smart folks use the equations to transfer the energy potential into another form, like kentic energy, work done, etc. None are "the" energy. Same for a 40W light bulb: it has electric energy being transferred to it; but the bulb does not have "the" energy. The unit measure is meant to convey that in a natural language: the power P is the work W done over some time. Energy is ... ? well like I said before we debated in class and it's often blurted out but best left to be used to describe some capacity we observe as causing some measured affect.

I'd want to see a lot more explanation of why we should believe these definitions but all of this still doesn't help calculate the (mechanical) power to the wheels as torque. But we've beaten the horse dead about what energy is, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
So, we are to believe gravity is energy. Gravity is a force acting over a distance too.
nah, gravity and time are an effect of mass, energy always has a pressor and repulsor (positive and negative) mediated by bosons. think standard model. Gravity and time are side effects of mass according to the 10 basic equations of General Relativity and definitely not a force. (Some people will get this, but there are only 10 kinds of people, those who grok binary and those that don’t)

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... we are to believe gravity is energy. Gravity is a force acting over a distance too.
I'm not going to reply beyond this because your physics is based in phantasy.

The phenomenon we call "gravity" is a curving of space-time in response to the location and concentration of mass. Newtonian gravity is a useful approximation that estimates how mass exerts force in the "gravitational field" of a massive object. Neither force nor field is real, its just curved space-time.

"Gravity" is only involved in force when mass "m" is present to create the force, F=ma, or mg in this case. 1 Newton = 1 kg m/s^2.

Let a mass fall, subject to gravitational acceleration, and you have moved a force through a distance, and created Energy. A 1 Newton force over 1 m = 1 joule = 1 kg m^2/s^2.

Really basic mechanics, read a HS physics textbook for question like this.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
and created Energy.
Energy is not created, at least not for things like ICE and motors where its a closed system. It's always transformed. That's why the PE, KE, and other energy _equations_ eventually get us to work done, even for dumbed down Newtonian approximations that ignore expanding Universe stuff.

But this mud slinging was about units of measure, and hey: I could be wrong! So Feynman gives us the answer to the original debate:

"A word about units. Since forces are measured in newtons, and we multiply by a distance in order to obtain work, work is measured in newtonâ‹…meters (Nâ‹…m), but people do not like to say newton-meters, they prefer to say joules (J). A newton-meter is called a joule; work is measured in joules. Power, then, is joules per second, and that is also called a watt (W). If we multiply watts by time, the result is the work done. The work done by the electrical company in our houses, technically, is equal to the watts times the time. That is where we get things like kilowatt hours, 1000 watts times 3600 seconds, or 3.6Ă—10^6 joules."
https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_13.html

That ^ is what I've been saying. Feynman actually slaps physicists around earlier in that lecture for using too many units of measure to talk about the same thing, so that could be where you are coming from. But again, hey: "my" physics is a fantasy, and Feynman doesn't know what he's talking about, and we are to believe you instead.

You said you won't respond anymore so I posted for the benefit of other folks who are willing to read & think.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
So around 8 sec to 60?

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have to ask. Until this forum I have never seen the word “herspers” in my life (72 years). Is this a regional/local/personal term?
Sponsored