Sponsored

Thinking ahead -- Are the batteries in the hybrid consumer replaceable?

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My grandfather is a long time Ford technician, he said the escape hybrids will typically be around $3k to replace with a used battery pack. Probably $5k+ for a new one.
Are the Escape battery pack bigger than what's in a Prius? I know Prius battery pack can be purchased for $1500. Part of the appeal of the Maverick hybrid is the location of the battery pack, because to me it's location makes it seem an easy thing to change out once the time comes to do it.
Sponsored

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I buy a hybrid Maverick next spring, I'm planning on keeping it for a while. I've read that the hybrid's battery is warranted for 8 years. But what if the battery fails after 9 or 10 years? Is it consumer replaceable? If not, what would it cost approximately to replace? I thought maybe based on existing hybrids someone could guestimate.

-Thanks
Yes, they are replaceable. Cost determines the size of the battery pack. The difficulty of the work involved will be defined by the ability (and tools) of the owner. By the time you will need a battery change there will be a YouTube video on how to do it. I have a 2010 Honda Insight and the batteries are still good. However, . I love this guys videos!

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
Anecdotally, I know a lot of people who drive hybrids. Many of those hybrids now have significantly more than 100,000 miles on the battery. None of those people has ever replaced that battery. Even if you were super unlucky, and you did have to replace the hybrid battery at 120,000 miles, by that time, there's a good chance that the cost of a refurbished battery would be less than $1,000. Batteries get cheaper all the time.

mileage seems the incorrect assessment since batteries also majorly degrade over simple time even if just sitting there, unlike Ice engine. sure, you might be able to stack 100k-200k miles on within a couple years, but long terms is another story.

i also doubt batteries are getting any cheaper and imagine 1k is a pipe dream. i believe i saw a recent youtube where it's 18k to replace the battery in a tesla (j this case the guy ran over something and it punctured a cell). I was shocked at that. as I figured the cost more for the 5-8k range.

I drive a 2008 ICE and its still going strong. I could hope for it to last 20 years no problem.

I feel like sometimes after 10-ish years that battery is going to need replacing and it's going to be costly. Just something to keep in mind. None of the people here saying dont worry about it are going to be around and volunteer to pay your bill to replace the battery in ten years, I promise you that lol! Neither will you be able to tell the shop "this guy on the internet said it would only cost 1k by now!" when they tell you it costs 5k, 10k, or whatever the number is lol. That guys post plus $1 will get you a large soda at McDonalds.

Nowdays a lot of people trade in their vehicle every few years anyway. If you're in that camp, obviously you dont need to care as much.

Gr8Mustang

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Digger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux w/360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Battery replacement for my 2017 Prius V would be less than 2,000 for the part and less than 1,000 for the labor.

Doubt that I will need that since most of the Prius battery life is over 10 years.

Sponsored

Don Morris

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
My 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid is still on its first battery, and it is the older nickel metal hydride. The newer batteries are lithium based and should have better conditioning software, so I'm not worried.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, they are replaceable. Cost determines the size of the battery pack. The difficulty of the work involved will be defined by the ability (and tools) of the owner. By the time you will need a battery change there will be a YouTube video on how to do it. I have a 2010 Honda Insight and the batteries are still good. However, . I love this guys videos!
He is entertaining, but he sure does bank on the clickbait style

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't forget according to him the Maverick is going to be junk because it's built in Mexico. The only vehicle worthwhile is a 90's Toyota or Lexus; guess he knows where the Used Toyota Factory is to buy those on the regular.

RickAns

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Not much use to worry about battery replacement 8 years out in today's money. Think about how far battery tech has come in the last 8 years. In the next 8 years it will be even more impressive. Probably cost less to replace than we are thinking and with the new battery having greater storage capacity.

Sponsored

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Leather or ActiveX as they call the leather-like seats in the Lariat tend to be hotter. But if you use the remote start and cool or heat the vehicle before entering, then it's really a moot point. In order to be able to remote start my 2013 Hyundai Sonata, I'd have pay $198 a year! And it didn't work on those really cold mornings, I often got a "server busy" message! I refuse to pay it. With the savings in gas and not having to pay Hyundai for "Bluelink", I'll be saving about $1,000 per year. Have fun with your new Lariat!
Hotter than what? I live in the sunny humid south. I don't have a garage. I have Toyota 'ultraleather' seats in black. I expected to have to cover the seat with a towel in the summer, and I was pretty surprised to discover that I could hop in the car, wearing shorts, and just sit down all summer long. The seats never get hot.

Cold is a different matter though. I'm looking forward to those Maverick heated seats.

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even if you were super unlucky, and you did have to replace the hybrid battery at 120,000 miles, by that time, there's a good chance that the cost of a refurbished battery would be less than $1,000. Batteries get cheaper all the time.
New replacement battery packs for the 2005-2009 Toyota Prius are still like $5-6k at the dealer. Aftermarket options are available for $1500-$2500 but those generally only have a 12-36 month warranty.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ah, yes. You Tube experts.

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Think about how far battery tech has come in the last 8 years. In the next 8 years it will be even more impressive. Probably cost less to replace than we are thinking and with the new battery having greater storage capacity.
The issue isn’t new battery technology offering higher capacity at lower weight and cost, but the fact that the computers running the existing hybrid system may not react well to the out of spec batteries. That is one of the hurdles I think has kept the heavy nickel hybrid batteries in old Priuses from being swapped out with lithium ion batteries.

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have a 07 Prius with over 180k on it, Battery pack is still going strong.
With the original hybrid battery? What is your MPG nowadays? Mine is in a 2005 with 94k miles on the original battery and averaging 42 mpg around town. Although the Toyota mechanic next door tells the batteries don’t often last past 10 years.
Sponsored