Sponsored

Thinking ahead -- Are the batteries in the hybrid consumer replaceable?

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I buy a hybrid Maverick next spring, I'm planning on keeping it for a while. I've read that the hybrid's battery is warranted for 8 years. But what if the battery fails after 9 or 10 years? Is it consumer replaceable? If not, what would it cost approximately to replace? I thought maybe based on existing hybrids someone could guestimate.

-Thanks
Sponsored

DuaneM

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500
My grandfather is a long time Ford technician, he said the escape hybrids will typically be around $3k to replace with a used battery pack. Probably $5k+ for a new one.

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My grandfather is a long time Ford technician, he said the escape hybrids will typically be around $3k to replace with a used battery pack. Probably $5k+ for a new one.
Thanks. I think I'll plan on selling it before the battery warranty expires!

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
That's a foolish reason to sell. The HVB is a life-of-the-car part if undamaged and not abused. You'll rebuild the engine first, and it only runs 60% of the time.

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's a foolish reason to sell. The HVB is a life-of-the-car part if undamaged and not abused. You'll rebuild the engine first, and it only runs 60% of the time.
Yes, I've read that in the Escape the batteries normally last the life of the vehicle. I feel much better now about buying a Maverick hybrid!

Sponsored

Bill Cather

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm driving a 2015 Prius I bought new. Still going strong with 140K. A friend has a 2012 that's still on original battery.... Hope this gives you some idea

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm driving a 2015 Prius I bought new. Still going strong with 140K. A friend has a 2012 that's still on original battery.... Hope this gives you some idea
Yes, I've read that in the Escape the batteries normally last the life of the vehicle. I feel much better now about buying a Maverick hybrid!

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you replace your vehicle before the warranty has expired on a specific part, you had better do it long before 8 years!

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you replace your vehicle before the warranty has expired on a specific part, you had better do it long before 8 years!

Bill Cather

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only reason I'm buying the Maverick is because it's a hybrid. Was looking to buy an old beat up truck for the Home Depot runs, then saw and researched this...... DONE DEAL

Sponsored
OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only reason I'm buying the Maverick is because it's a hybrid. Was looking to buy an old beat up truck for the Home Depot runs, then saw and researched this...... DONE DEAL
I've read that in the Escape the batteries normally last the life of the vehicle. I'm looking forward to getting the hybrid after reading about how reliable they are. I've also decided to get the XLT with premium and BLIS packages. Personally I like the interior of the XLT better than the Lariat.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anecdotally, I know a lot of people who drive hybrids. Many of those hybrids now have significantly more than 100,000 miles on the battery. None of those people has ever replaced that battery. Even if you were super unlucky, and you did have to replace the hybrid battery at 120,000 miles, by that time, there's a good chance that the cost of a refurbished battery would be less than $1,000. Batteries get cheaper all the time.

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anecdotally, I know a lot of people who drive hybrids. Many of those hybrids now have significantly more than 100,000 miles on the battery. None of those people has ever replaced that battery. Even if you were super unlucky, and you did have to replace the hybrid battery at 120,000 miles, by that time, there's a good chance that the cost of a refurbished battery would be less than $1,000. Batteries get cheaper all the time.

I've read that in the Escape the batteries normally last the life of the vehicle. I'm looking forward to getting the hybrid after reading about how reliable they are.

Bill Cather

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've read that in the Escape the batteries normally last the life of the vehicle. I'm looking forward to getting the hybrid after reading about how reliable they are. I've also decided to get the XLT with premium and BLIS packages. Personally I like the interior of the XLT better than the Lariat.
If I still lived back east I probably would go with the XLT. The Lariat seats would have been interesting after a number of winters.... But then again I'm now in the Phoenix area
Ford Maverick Thinking ahead -- Are the batteries in the hybrid consumer replaceable? 4BFB4992-7511-43D0-B7EB-D2D58DE62CCB

and ...... well I'm still sticking to the Lariat FE LOL....

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I still lived back east I probably would go with the XLT. The Lariat seats would have been interesting after a number of winters.... But then again I'm now in the Phoenix area
4BFB4992-7511-43D0-B7EB-D2D58DE62CCB.jpeg

and ...... well I'm still sticking to the Lariat FE LOL....
Leather or ActiveX as they call the leather-like seats in the Lariat tend to be hotter. But if you use the remote start and cool or heat the vehicle before entering, then it's really a moot point. In order to be able to remote start my 2013 Hyundai Sonata, I'd have pay $198 a year! And it didn't work on those really cold mornings, I often got a "server busy" message! I refuse to pay it. With the savings in gas and not having to pay Hyundai for "Bluelink", I'll be saving about $1,000 per year. Have fun with your new Lariat!
Sponsored