Sponsored

Thinking ahead -- Are the batteries in the hybrid consumer replaceable?

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just a reminder though, that's a Nissan Leaf which is one of the few vehicles that still has an air-cooled battery pack, making replacement much easier. The Maverick is going to use a liquid cooled pack. With liquids and very high voltages mixed together, you probably want to just leave it to a professional.
I'm counting on that by time my Maverick needs a battery change YouTube will be full of 'how to videos' or there's going to be robots to do it! 😆 🤣 😂
Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
60% of the time it works every time.
60% of the time it works, 40% of the time, it's cargo.
A couple issues here:
1) How do you define lithium battery failure? With EVs, the industry standard seems to be that if more than 30% capacity is lost before the warranty is up, they will consider that a failure. ...
Li-ion battery life is not an issue in properly designed hybrids. Different usage pattern that's very life-friendly for Li-ion technology (rarely hot, never stored full). Owners report great mileage at 250K.

Folks think that hybrids (HEV) are the same as plug-ins (PHEV) and electric cars (BEV). Lots of common technology, but completely different usage patterns result in very different HVB stresses. It's very easy to be completely wrong, not unlike Nissan Leaf's reliance on air cooling in a BEV (or Ford's in C-Max Energi PHEV). Air cooling works fine in HEV, but liquid cooled batteries can be smaller and work better (eg. Gen 3 to Gen 4).

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My grandfather is a long time Ford technician, he said the escape hybrids will typically be around $3k to replace with a used battery pack. Probably $5k+ for a new one.
Sure but in 8 years there will probably be an aftermarket seller for it that's not 5k. Same as with a prius

RobbieAG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL EB AWD 4k Tow CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My friend had a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid. His battery lasted about 10 years and cost him 2k to replace (by an independent shop).
Sponsored