John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

To me, both trucks are within tenths of seconds, near equal accelerarion, and just like horse shoes and hand grenades, "close enough". Now, let's stick to regularly scheduled programming.
👍🏻😎
Sponsored

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If the vehicle is started near peak HVB charge (>~66%) then the max EV output is temporarily something like doubled. It's not that typical for the battery to get that high unless the ICE was running the whole run previous like a short trip in ICE warmup, or Tow/Sport mode.
Weird, but true. Yes, I've seen it do this.
I can't think of an engineering reason to do this, other than MAYBE to warm the battery? Kind of like doing a burn-out with your tires before the race. Some people think it is a convenience feature- give you more EV power to get out of the garage / driveway first thing.
It could be by accident, loophole, or glitch.
🤷🏻‍♂️
Just one of those "Things that make you go Hmmmm..."
🤔

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the vehicle is started near peak HVB charge (>~66%) then the max EV output is temporarily something like doubled. It's not that typical for the battery to get that high unless the ICE was running the whole run previous like a short trip in ICE warmup, or Tow/Sport mode.
Or in even econ or std modes in Low. 😇

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Weird, but true. Yes, I've seen it do this.
I can't think of an engineering reason to do this, other than MAYBE to warm the battery? Kind of like doing a burn-out with your tires before the race. Some people think it is a convenience feature- give you more EV power to get out of the garage / driveway first thing.
It could be by accident, loophole, or glitch.
🤷🏻‍♂️
Just one of those "Things that make you go Hmmmm..."
🤔
I'll vote for something like making room in hvb to make room for Regen braking amps until ice is warm enough to engine brake and/or get hvb internally warm enough to accept Regen amps.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Or the truck really likes to charge during engine warm up. And / or engineering took a cue from all the generation one owners who said they intentionally parked with a low battery so the hybrid could accomplish useful work (by charging) getting out of the neighborhood.

Maybe this is subtle confirmation that it's a good idea to come home the last half mile in EV so there's room to charge first thing next start?

In any case, it is information.
How you use it, or if you use it is up to you.

Sponsored

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or the truck really likes to charge during engine warm up. And / or engineering took a cue from all the generation one owners who said they intentionally parked with a low battery so the hybrid could accomplish useful work (by charging) getting out of the neighborhood.

Maybe this is subtle confirmation that it's a good idea to come home the last half mile in EV so there's room to charge first thing next start?

In any case, it is information.
How you use it, or if you use it is up to you.
I Agree! 👍

JG307

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does this only happen with a cold engine?

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Does this only happen with a cold engine?
Good question.
No not really.
I went to lunch. 55 degree day. Parked ~45 minutes. It did it on the restart after lunch. Not a hot engine. But warm ~100°F engine.

Need a 120°F or higher engine to be considered a "normal" engine temp though.

JG307

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good question.
No not really.
I went to lunch. 55 degree day. Parked ~45 minutes. It did it on the restart after lunch. Not a hot engine. But warm ~100°F engine.

Need a 120°F or higher engine to be considered a "normal" engine temp though.
So if the engine is under 120°F and the HVB is above 66% SoC, it'll do it? Or is this just a "when conditions are right, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't" thing?

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Too small of data set to know the "rules" for the stronger EV mode. I can only state observations of 3 times, 2 times of which I was paying close attention.

"Coldness" does not appear to matter from this limited data.

What's a for sure rule, to get the engine to shut off AFTER starting, engine cooling water needs to be greater than 120°F which is consistently, and reliably the needle just above the "C" on the XL and XLT.

Sponsored

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve seen the larger than normal “blue bar/box” indicating the potential for extra available current when greater than 66% SOC upon startup. However, if the engine isn’t above 120F and/or there is a check engine light the potential isn’t available. As the bar increases, the ICE fires about halfway up the scale.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm going to call it "enhanced EV power and torque during initial movement after startup based on battery state".

It's looking like (all values approximate):

66% to 70% 2x normal
61% to 65% 1.75x normal
56% to 60% 1.5x normal
51% to 55% 1.25x normal
etc.

Probably not stair steps.
Probably a continuous curve.
But that's the main idea.

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'll admit when you folks mention SoC (is that State of Charge") and other "Hybridy"things my brain starts to fog over. But I'm learning more as I read threads like this one (and am getting a Hybrid).

I'm an old-school ICE type of guy where the a wheel dyno would help determine the TQ/HP curves that really propel the Mav forward on a given day (variables are air & coolant temps, size/weight of rims&tires, yada yada). Could also shed alittle light on how efficient the e-CVT transmission truly is (regular automatics and manual transmission drivetrains cause a 10~25% reduction of flywheel HP/TQ).

I imagine the dyno operator could use some tips from those of you that have delved deeper into the Hybrid battery, regen cycles, etc so it would be at its peak to aid acceleration.

Someone really needs to get a Hybrid Maverick on a dyno. Me, I'll be quietly cheering "GO Hybrid!" from the peanut 🥜 gallery.

Last edited:

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for sharing the data and ideas. Not terribly useful, but gives us more insight into what we’re driving.

I knew it was more powerful than my old 3.0 l Ranger, but it’s a heck of a lot more fun to drive. As a result, my mpg’s are lagging. Still double the Ranger, though.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The hybrid will ALWAYS be behind the EB. While its faster in some very specific ranges it is slower everywhere else and over any drag or roll race that is not limited to its best zones.

I'm just happy the hybrid isn't slow and can't wait to sell my EB and get into my Hybrid.
Hybrids aren't always slower; the size of the battery and Elec motor have a lot to play here. Once the PHEV comes out, it will be faster than the EB. Bigger motor, bigger battery.
But hybrids are perfect for urban commutes, the 25-35 range is perfect, at this point the turb o on the EB does not have boost.
Sponsored