Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That reserve seems excessive, but I’m sure they have their reasons.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wow, 2.7 gallons available past zero DTE, that’s an easy 100 miles - that’s crazy!
I actually went 55.5 miles past DTE 0.

That means DTE was not in the right "spot". But.... it's winter. Much colder recently. My MPG was on a pretty steep downward trend. Also, the past week I had the Mav up to 80 mph. For the first and second time ever. I usually keep it under 60

Pretty sure under consistent driving conditions, yes, you could have about 2.7 gallons beyond MTE 0.

This also explains why Ford published 13.8 gallons. 13.8 is what you can count on, regardless of drastic weather and driving changes.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you want to remove moisture, add some high proof alcohol.
Wait. Most stations already do.
Never-mind. Moisture should never be an issue. Driving through a hurricane excepted. 😎
Well then, the gunk from over the years.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well then, the gunk from over the years.
Is that even a thing?

I think "gunk" may be a term derived from diesel users?

In 10 vehicles over 40 years during 1.5 Million miles I have never ever changed a gasoline filter.

I also have some antique engines, farm engines from 1940 that have clear glass "sediment" bowls. You know what I find in the sediment bowls? Nothing. Ever. In the past 20 years at least. Is gunk a thing of the past?

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I actually went 55.5 miles past DTE 0.

That means DTE was not in the right "spot". But.... it's winter. Much colder recently. My MPG was on a pretty steep downward trend. Also, the past week I had the Mav up to 80 mph. For the first and second time ever. I usually keep it under 60

Pretty sure under consistent driving conditions, yes, you could have about 2.7 gallons beyond MTE 0.

This also explains why Ford published 13.8 gallons. 13.8 is what you can count on, regardless of drastic weather and driving changes.
Not to beat a dead horse! But you'd do well to read the Maverick manual for the right answers. My company has 4 Ford Escapes and just like the Maverick, has the no gas cap feature. As is stated in the manual, if you run out of gas, put in only about 1 1/2 gallons of gas, and crank the engine before fully filling the tank...this restores the air pressure inside the gas tank. A completely empty tank can and usually does screw up the gas tank air pressure.

Most Fords have gas tanks under pressure and do it by having parts of the fuel tank space used for air pressure...sure you can over fill gas tank but that screws up the air pressure...one of our former employees was too smart for himself and had to have one of our Escapes towed in because he was trying to see how much gas it would hold and the fuel overflowed into the air pressure part of the gas tank. Maverick manual covers this topic quite well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yep. Which is why all my tests are conducted on a closed course with highly trained professionals.

gregsfc

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mitsubishi Mirage ES 5M, 2015 F150 Std CabXL
I don't know how common this is, but as far as pump calibration accuracy and my personal observation; most all pumps at most all stations give me expected results based on fuel tank trip and trip mpg data and knowing how much fuel my tank will accept based on dozens of recorded fillups; but at a couple of stations that I've frequented only a couple times, no matter the pump, no matter how many times I've used their pumps, it'll always display more pumped fuel than expected or likely received.

In my state, the state Agricultural Department regulates, checks and stickers the pumps, and observed optimistic pumps always have an updated sticker when this has happened to me; but yet it's always the same two stations where I've observed this phenomenon and nowhere else. Hum!

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wait I thought we weren’t supposed to add more after topping it off.
It's neither advisable nor necessary unless you're going out of your way to push the vehicle as far as you possibly could. Even if it doesn't end up causing any harm, it rarely would do much good.

Unless I know that the gauge won't read at full because it kicked off early, as soon as the pump stops once, it's done filling.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I run the Hybrid to DTE=0 it takes 14.0 to 14.5 to fill it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The PSA (Public Service Announcement) is this:

When people believed the tank size was 13.8 gallons, they would hesitate to use more than 11.8 (approximate) per tank, wanting to keep 2 gallons of reserve for various reasons.

At least 2 gallons exists up & beyond the 13.8, therefore drivers need not "conserve" or "reserve" any extra fuel and can drive right up to MTE 0 on a regular basis, and a little beyond, when absolutely necessary.

MTE 0 means "computer thinks you burned 13.8 gallons out of 16.5 gallons".

But, as always, the MPG measurement is not precise, and your refuel procedure is not precise (did you fill to 15.5 instead of 16.5 last time?) So by programming in a rather large buffer, Ford assured no one would "unexpectedly" run out of gas. A smart move for safety, and for customer satisfaction surveys. Better to have more fuel on board than expected, vs. the opposite.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Someone made a similar post back in the spring or early summer, they ran it right out of gas and limped to a station on electric power.

All vehicles have larger tanks, as in they leave a reserve that's usually good for 50 miles or so beyond empty. Usually as a vehicle ages sediment and condensation builds up in the tank and can be found at the bottom. Not a big deal to dip into that when the truck is new, but wouldn't want to do it too often as it ages, unless you burn through all of it on a regular basis.
Just a observation about build up of sediment. On my 1991 S10 blazer I had to replace the tank. I puncture it off roading. At the time it was 8 years old with about 90K miles. When changing the tank you remove the sending unit on top of tank. and there is a large opening at the top. I was curious to see if there was any contaminant in bottom of tank. looked clean as can be. Nothing in the bottom of the tank. So not so sure about it getting crap at the bottom. . At least not in any of my pretty old vehicle . But boy that 4.3 v6 sucked fuel 15 mpg at best.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just a observation about build up of sediment. On my 1991 S10 blazer I had to replace the tank. I puncture it off roading. At the time it was 8 years old with about 90K miles. When changing the tank you remove the sending unit on top of tank. and there is a large opening at the top. I was curious to see if there was any contaminant in bottom of tank. looked clean as can be. Nothing in the bottom of the tank. So not so sure about it getting crap at the bottom. . At least not in any of my pretty old vehicle . But boy that 4.3 v6 sucked fuel 15 mpg at best.
Maybe more of an issue in the past perhaps? In theory if the gas stations you go to get high volume there shouldn't be much of anything. All bets are off at older stations and older no-name brand stations in the middle of nowhere.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe more of an issue in the past perhaps? In theory if the gas stations you go to get high volume there shouldn't be much of anything. All bets are off at older stations and older no-name brand stations in the middle of nowhere.
It really comes down to a combination of factors. Improvements in filter technology on the vehicle and the pump play into the amount of sediment in the tank. So too does the turnover rate, maintenance of the tank, and maintenance of the filters at the station.

Could just be hearsay but Costco definitely does have high turnover (seems there's a tanker there more often than not), and rumor has it they're on top of the maintenance with the filters and all. Combine that with Top Tier-rated additives, the lowest price in town, and little to no wait if you can find off-peak times at your local warehouse, and sometimes it's easiest to just stick with what you know.

Other stations surely do a decent job of keeping things in working order as well, but beware of the lower volume, rundown stations if you're concerned. Or just let the filter in the tank do its job and try not to worry about it. ;)
Sponsored