Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
So, basically, since this vehicle starts at ~$20K, we should lower our expectations and accept substandard quality (e.g slag, paint issues, cracked body sealer/adhesive).

Compound that with it being a first model year and all the associated issues that come with that, then we should wait...

...or accept mediocrity based on uniqueness and cost?
It's great to document things, and the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The Honda white orchid pearl paint recall or CVT extended warranty would not have happened without owners raising the problem to dealers and Honda customer service.

I think the issue arises because it can be tricky at times to distinguish the posts that are just documenting issues, but the problems don't actually bother them at all or to any significant degree, and those that expect flawless perfection because they spent "X" dollars on their specific truck.

Some of these folks must be spending all night in their garages, analyzing every centimeter of the truck. I wouldn't even notice half these imperfections, let alone let them bother me. The hood shake is definitely concerning though, and I appreciate that others have posted about it.

Ok this thread is hilarious and informative for everyone buying a first production vehicleā€¦ it WILL have noticeable flaws. Check any new production first year introduction vehicle..

Thatā€™s why people wait a year or two to buy.

Iā€™ve been the victim of the ā€œearly adopter ā€œ a few times realizing the risks involved. Disheartening yes but hey it comes with the territory. Itā€™s hardest your first time but this is where experience got itā€™s dubious fameā€¦

Remember that you just had to have it first without waiting šŸ˜‚

Enjoy as best you can!!
I don't think noticeable flaws are limited to first-production vehicles. Any mass-produced product will have a threshold of acceptable flaws, contamination, imperfections, failures, etc. Heck, the FDA has limits on the amount of insect parts permitted in ground spices and other foodstuffs, and it sure ain't 0.

Who knows, my DSF fender on my Ford Edge might have passed QC with its welding slag or whatever that was on it. Again, there is an acceptable level of imperfections.

The threshold is probably set where Ford determines that fixing the problem as a potential warranty claim is probably cheaper than sending the entire unibody chassis back for a repair and repaint in the factory.

Same goes for like the bed liner overspray. My Nissan Frontier has noticeable overspray with its factory-applied bed liner. Nissan probably determined that doing a "good enough" masking job and potentially fixing things as a warranty claim was cheaper than doing a perfect masking job that the vast majority of buyers wouldn't notice.

I'll even use myself as an example. I work a trade right now. Management sets the standards for the quality of work. Sure, I could spend 12 hours doing one job to near-absolute-perfection, but then output is too low. Instead, management says I get one hour to do the job, I do the best I can, and they're happy with the results, so I move on to the next job.

I'm a huge Ford fan and have owned at least a dozen Fords. I try to avoid buying a Ford before the midcycle refresh, so I'll be hiding in the bushes waiting for the Maverick's refresh to happen.

Well aware, Andy. Not sure whatā€™s so ā€œhilarious.ā€ Would you rather me not post the issues? I could have just went to the dealer and got everything fixed and not said a word. Instead I posted this to make everyone aware what to look for.
Again, I think the issue is distinguishing between complaints and reports. I'm sure there are countless folks (including myself, and probably a bunch of lurkers that aren't registered) that appreciate that you took the time to report the issues that you found.

Granted, I'd just breeze through your report with the mental note that those issues other than the cracked wheel wouldn't bother me. But it's still reassuring to know what kinds of issues folks are seeing, rather than just being in the dark.

It'll also be interesting to see if the issues reported get fixed in later years or during the midcycle refresh. I forgot what car it was, but I remember an auto manufacturer adding a couple of foam pads in the center console lid after hundreds of reports of rattling consoles. My hat's off to you early-adopters!
Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's great to document things, and the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The Honda white orchid pearl paint recall or CVT extended warranty would not have happened without owners raising the problem to dealers and Honda customer service.

I think the issue arises because it can be tricky at times to distinguish the posts that are just documenting issues, but the problems don't actually bother them at all or to any significant degree, and those that expect flawless perfection because they spent "X" dollars on their specific truck.

Some of these folks must be spending all night in their garages, analyzing every centimeter of the truck. I wouldn't even notice half these imperfections, let alone let them bother me. The hood shake is definitely concerning though, and I appreciate that others have posted about it.

I don't think noticeable flaws are limited to first-production vehicles. Any mass-produced product will have a threshold of acceptable flaws, contamination, imperfections, failures, etc. Heck, the FDA has limits on the amount of insect parts permitted in ground spices and other foodstuffs, and it sure ain't 0.

Who knows, my DSF fender on my Ford Edge might have passed QC with its welding slag or whatever that was on it. Again, there is an acceptable level of imperfections.

The threshold is probably set where Ford determines that fixing the problem as a potential warranty claim is probably cheaper than sending the entire unibody chassis back for a repair and repaint in the factory.

Same goes for like the bed liner overspray. My Nissan Frontier has noticeable overspray with its factory-applied bed liner. Nissan probably determined that doing a "good enough" masking job and potentially fixing things as a warranty claim was cheaper than doing a perfect masking job that the vast majority of buyers wouldn't notice.

I'll even use myself as an example. I work a trade right now. Management sets the standards for the quality of work. Sure, I could spend 12 hours doing one job to near-absolute-perfection, but then output is too low. Instead, management says I get one hour to do the job, I do the best I can, and they're happy with the results, so I move on to the next job.

I'm a huge Ford fan and have owned at least a dozen Fords. I try to avoid buying a Ford before the midcycle refresh, so I'll be hiding in the bushes waiting for the Maverick's refresh to happen.

Again, I think the issue is distinguishing between complaints and reports. I'm sure there are countless folks (including myself, and probably a bunch of lurkers that aren't registered) that appreciate that you took the time to report the issues that you found.

Granted, I'd just breeze through your report with the mental note that those issues other than the cracked wheel wouldn't bother me. But it's still reassuring to know what kinds of issues folks are seeing, rather than just being in the dark.

It'll also be interesting to see if the issues reported get fixed in later years or during the midcycle refresh. I forgot what car it was, but I remember an auto manufacturer adding a couple of foam pads in the center console lid after hundreds of reports of rattling consoles. My hat's off to you early-adopters!
You say early adopters, but I wonder if there will be so little supply that we are actually the lucky few who will even get the new vehicle that we wanted at a decent price for in the next 2-3 years.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
You say early adopters, but I wonder if there will be so little supply that we are actually the lucky few who will even get the new vehicle that we wanted at a decent price for in the next 2-3 years.
All those qualifiers together (new vehicle, decent price, 2-3 years), absolutely. I'd bet that a price hike is coming, and/or a more stripped out base model trim that starts at the $19,995 price.

Toyota brought back the "SR" trim to slot below the SR5 (though some may argue that SR is just the base trim branded with, well, a trim) and Ford had the XLS trim or just a "base" trim with no name in a couple of vehicles.

I know I'd be cool spending more money on the Maverick in a couple years or by its mid cycle refresh. I think the truck is value-priced as it is. I am just banking on the hope that waiting and possibly spending more money at a later date also comes with improvements and/or fixes.

For example, I'd really like a 60/40 rear seat. Is it a deal breaker? Nah, I'd buy a Maverick today and be content with the 100/0 seat. But it's one of those things that might make you say "Darn, wish I would've waited."

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Question šŸ™‹ā€ā™‚ļø

You just bought a 2021 Honda Ridgeline with zero issues that you donā€™t want? You think weā€™re a bit crazy for ordering a truck from the worlds best truck company without seeing it? Even worse you think we should accept issues? Ford has been building trucks for over a century! We know what we want, which is clearly something you need to figure out.
If Honda had a hybrid I wouldnā€™t be looking at the Mav. Unfortunately I didnā€™t know Ford was coming out with one a year ago. Soā€¦ā€¦..I thought I would take advantage of market conditions to get what I paid for it originally to get into a hybrid since I commute 400 miles each way every other week for work. Thatā€™s all, nothing else. Seems logical to me. Maybe not. Sorry to offend yā€™all.

OP
OP
Cubsfan24

Cubsfan24

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So today I tried sliding the FITS dividers into the lift up underseat storage area in the rear. The FITS package comes with 4 dividers (2 small/2 big), a Ford logo charging cable organizer, trash ban, dual cupholder, and 2 grocery bag hooks.

The dividers scratched up extremely easy somehow (don't know how, I've barely touched them). I had a really tough time getting the large dividers to fit into the "FITS" slots, and they also seemed to be too small. I actually scraped up the plastic a bit trying to jam it into place, and the plastic divider tabs are now bent up pretty badly on the divider itself. Maybe this was my fault, but these seemed cheaply made to me. It was $50 for the entire bundle.

Today, I also found a small scrape on my dash. No idea how this happened either, but seems to have already scraped up from something minor. Alright, how do I fix this? lol

Here's the dash scrape, and a stock photo of what the FITS dividers are like (mine are gray).

Ford Maverick Summary of my 2022 Maverick XLT issues so far IMG_0317

Ford Maverick Summary of my 2022 Maverick XLT issues so far Available-Under-Seat-Bin-Divider

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I personally will post every issue that comes up . hopefully others will do the same so that ford will pay attention and make corrections . the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I also hope that when owners take these issues to their deals and get them resolved they post on this site so I know what my deal needs to do to correct the problem.

Krmav

First Name
Kevin r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
So Iā€™ve made a few posts about my XLT in Cactus Gray. Let me start by saying I love this truck, and Iā€™m happy with my dealer. They gave me the Z plan, and more for my trade in than I even paid for it last year! They are also helping me get all of these issues fixed!

1) they found a crack in one of my wheels and said they are replacing all 4(I still donā€™t see the crack)

2) my interior weatherstripping on the driver side door is not flush with the door, and the truck whistles past 50 mph

3) there is a very small paint chip/bubble on the rear passenger side

4) on the rear window where the bedliner meets, someone did a really sloppy job. Honestly donā€™t know whatā€™s going on with that.

Side note,

I used my Ford points and ordered the tailgate damper, black Maverick lettering, and FITS package through FairwayFordParts. They were 20% cheaper than directly through the Ford app, and free shipping. Plus they accept Ford points.

I also ordered a Gator tonneau through realtruck.com. I have the guys email. He gives 20% off the website price and free shipping if you contact him directly.

AFCF7227-FC6E-40C1-AF8A-65E4ED9F0084.jpeg

9738D950-1D86-42B1-BE7F-F74CFFFEFC39.jpeg

5FE433AA-2E2B-47BA-99FF-BC50F8414F23.jpeg

220B4402-2E78-4E41-AE43-9E38293D60F9.jpeg

1BC21368-4959-4DF7-AC1F-027533CFE94C.png
All of that is disappointing. I really havenā€™t looked at my Maverick for things like that yet but I wish that was the only problem I had! I just picked mine up November 8. I drive my truck for work home so I havenā€™t really used it to much. I went out November 12 to pick up a pizza and started smelling gas in the cab. When I got home I popped the hood and found fuel leaking from somewhere . Iā€™m gonna have it towed back to the dealership.

update: I not happy about having an issue so soon but I will say fords emergency service through the ford app is AWESOME! I contacted them in the app, 2 minutes later I got a call from ford and within an hour a tow truck showed up to cart it to the dealership. Very Satisfying!

Last edited:

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will be paying 28890 plus tax and license so I (we all) do expect some level of craftsmanship from the company that has Fords name on it.

Maybe its how itā€™s designed or how its assembled or the materials its made from.

Who knows all I have seen here are assembly qualty issues and the skimping on some basic parts. Aside from that its is going to be a kick @$$ little truck if these are the only issues. šŸ¤ž

Unless there is a cracking issue in the corners of the bed to body areaā€¦ then all bets are off.
Funny you should say that about the bed if you have a chance to look at one in person (I have)open the back door and you can see that the bed is bolted on for removal in the event off an accident

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Funny you should say that about the bed if you have a chance to look at one in person (I have)open the back door and you can see that the bed is bolted on for removal in the event off an accident
Wha? If you gotta remove the bed from a unibody truck that sounds like a totaled truck lol. In what case would that happen?

Is it bolted, or is it welded?

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wha? If you gotta remove the bed from a unibody truck that sounds like a totaled truck lol. In what case would that happen?

Is it bolted, or is it welded?
Bolted, they call it a unibody but that would mean the cab and bed are one pice which is definitely not the case

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bolted, they call it a unibody but that would mean the cab and bed are one pice which is definitely not the case

I dunno man check out this video it seems pretty unitized.

At the 1-minute mark, the bottom of the frame includes both cabin under frame and 'tail' bed core in one piece. The upper-cabin and outer-truck tail are also one piece. It might just be semantics to debate if this is "unibody" or not. I'm sure a Ridgeline doesn't come out of metal cast in one whole piece lol.

But I don't know anything about this just trying to clarify, maybe it's much different than the other unibody trucks being made.

Last edited:

MimiE

First Name
Mitzi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
".... Instead I posted this to make everyone aware what to look for...."

For which we are very appreciative, sir.

MimiE

First Name
Mitzi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
"..I of course thought my grandma was being a grandma. "

I protest on behalf of all technologically savvy grandmas out there! :cool:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I dunno man check out this video it seems pretty unitized.

At the 1-minute mark, the bottom of the frame includes both cabin under frame and 'tail' bed core in one piece. The upper-cabin and outer-truck tail are also one piece. It might just be semantics to debate if this is "unibody" or not. I'm sure a Ridgeline doesn't come out of metal cast in one whole piece lol.

But I don't know anything about this just trying to clarify, maybe it's much different than the other unibody trucks being made.
Yeah, it's unibody in every aspect. The bed does not "bolt in". Some parts of the bed have fasteners, but it's not removable. In the video, you can clearly see the floor of the bed with the welded floor structure, then the side structure is dropped in & welded. Fenders (qtr's), T/G, and trim are really the only easily swappable parts.
Sponsored