Sponsored

38,000 mile summary. BEWARE: ISSUES GALORE!

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Cannot replicate = did not try = lazy service department

BTW, one source tracked down the dash rattle to the passenger side speaker grill. He placed folded paper at differt parts of the dash to locate the source, and used folded paper to fix the noise. Hope that helps
good catch, i saw that too. if i'm not mistaken after locating the 'rattle' he placed some kind of rubber or foam there that that made it go away.
Sponsored

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I realize recalls are going to happen, and to be honest they dont bother me at all. But...recalls are rarely voluntary and are usually only related to safety issues that NHTSA is aware of. The OE's are usually not very good about "recalling" a vehicle for anything other than what they are forced to do. They usually handle it by fixing problems as they occur.....until the warranty has expired.
I'm fine with that as well, as long as they actually work towards fixing it instead of just telling you to come back when it fails. What usually ends up happening is that these little problems become big problems much further on down the road when the customer ends up having to foot the bill.

I completely understand that the maverick is not a Lexus, and one should not expect the overall quality to be of the same standard as a vehicle costing 2-3x more. Its a base level car that is probably not very profitable for Ford.

Kudos to Ford for a great concept, its just very poorly executed.

SYKOTYK: Regarding the engine rattle, it has only happened in cold Michigan weather, and from what I remember you explanation of when it occurs seems correct. I was not aware that there was a root cause as I have only seen a few posts mentioning this problem. I will have to do a little more research. Thanks for the tip.
its been my experience that most newly introduced vehicles from almost EVERY manufacturer have things that need to be addressed during/after that 1st yr production run that dont reveal themselves during planning that need to be addressed once you actually start running the darn things down the line and real people start driving them around in the real world and giving you their feedback.

when i hired into a Ford assembly plant in the early 1990's the old timers always advised us newbies to not buy the 1st yr build of a brand new model, but rather to wait for the next model yr build. it was somewhat cynical but pretty good advice nonetheless.

its not that the 1st MY build would not be built with the upmost of care....its just that no matter how precise your planning & computer modeling is Sh*t still happens and there is stuff that was just missed or never considered that impacts quality and the workers ability to 'build it right' the 1st time at acceptable volumes. you have to deal with it as you learn how best to assemble the vehicle with the best quality and fewest defects possible.

that being said i still regret not pulling the trigger on a First Edition Mav :( i think that they will only become more collectable as time goes on.

most of these issues usually dont rise to the level of a formal recall. but, are rather dealt with by TSB's (technical service bulletins) or Service Advisories that are internal guidance to tech's & service dept's for issues that have shown up 'in the field' but are things Ford will fix if the owner complains about them and they've seen the same thing before often enough to realize they should take care of it for you.

it is always good to ask your dealer if the are any open TSB's/Service Advisories/Recalls for your vehicle even if you're only there for a oil change.

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Energy recapture for hybrid battery, try to get 100%
Just touch the brake ever so slightly till the generator is spinning and coast to a stop or brake gently to a stop. You are charging the hybrid battery.
i'm sorry but i dont think thats what the OP was asking. you are 100% correct in your description of the 'brake coach' screen.
the OP i think was asking about the EV coach which can be very helpful in our pursuit of better MPG from the Mav Hybrids.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
it's been my experience that most newly introduced vehicles from almost EVERY manufacturer have things that need to be addressed during/after that 1st yr production run that don't reveal themselves during planning that need to be addressed once you actually start running the darn things down the line and real people start driving them around in the real world and giving you their feedback.

when i hired into a Ford assembly plant in the early 1990's the old timers always advised us newbies to not buy the 1st yr build of a brand new model, but rather to wait for the next model yr build. it was somewhat cynical but pretty good advice nonetheless.
In 2021 I was thinking the same thing to wait for the MY23 and not buy the first year MY22 Maverick Hybrid.

I really missed having my 1998 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab that I had for 16+ years that was traded in for a 2015 Honda Fit in 2014.

I spent two months researching hybrid technology and came to the conclusion that it was reliable and lower maintenance cost over its lifetime than the EcoBoost so I put in my order in August 2021 and took delivery in December 2021.

Very glad I did.

The Hybrid Maverick has been amazing.

During the 1 3/4 years of ownership it has been at the dealership service department only one day for the "AirBag Recall" and "1st Fire Recall" along with the TSB fix for "Grabby Brakes"

I made a mistake and did not put on the "Trailer Hitch" on my MY22 order. By the time I realized it wasn't standard I already had a scheduled build date and was not able to add it.

So I put in a MY23 order last September for an exact replacement with the hitch added and the (to me useless) manual rear window removed. I have a scheduled build week the week of September 4th.

If it wasn't for the missing trailer hitch I would still have the MY22 Maverick. My MY23 should be arriving in less than a month from now.

With the resale market still going strong for Hybrid Mavericks I am getting my new MY23 Maverick at no cost (even with the price increases) and an extra $3000 in cash.

Just sold my MY22 Maverick XLT Hybrid

If I had followed the "don't order a first MY vehicle" I would have been waiting almost two years to get a MY23.

Very glad I didn't do that.

Last edited:

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We ran our 1997 4WD F150 to 300,000 and everything still worked. We did routine maintenance when it was required but thought 300K was enough and traded it for a used 2012.
I had an 02 ranger that had about 140K miles before totaled, and a 09 F150 with about 97K miles before I traded it. In both cases they needed $1500-2000 of work outside of normal maintenance while I owned them

Sponsored

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Picked up my 2023 Hybrid on Sept.4. Only 3200 miles, but I had constantly been getting the " battery needs charged" notice. So I would drive it, then in a day or two..same notice. Finally, at dealers suggestion, took it in for a full check. I was a battery that would not take a charge, got a new battery.

itzyoboipaul

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Lariat, but it's similar in the XL and XLT. It's a screen that shows you the current energy output and what it's from. Also, shows you when you're not using any power, how much battery charging you're doing through braking or coasting.

It also pops up when you come to a full stop. It shows you a percentage of how much energy you retained from stopping compared to how much you could have retained (it's not a perfect recapture, but it is a rough idea).

Basically, for Lariat (and I think XL/XLT) there's a green and white power meter to the left of the display. When you use power, it's in the white, positive side of the dial (think like a Tach, but for electric usage and production). At 0%, there's a green bar that continues for producing electricity through the regen motor. If you max out that bar, your mechanical brakes activate to continue slowing you down. It doesn't take much to max out that green bar. But on slow deceleration, you can usually stay in the Green until about 1 or 2mph when the mechanical brakes activate to hold you still. That's how it calculates the percentage for the Brake Coach. The more mechanical braking you do, the worse your percentage is. Which is lost power. Which decreases your MPG.

You also can see on the EV Coach how close you are in Electric to switching to Hybrid and the engine activating. Sometimes it's wise to just stay a little slower to keep it in Electric if you know you'll be coasting soon (such as a hill, or to a light). Constantly engaging the engine when you don't really need to is just wasting gas.
very helpful.
Thank you!

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sandy Munro talks about this a lot on his channel. One great thing about Tesla (I don't own a Tesla and I'm not a Tesla fanboy) is that they took a different path and are five to ten years ahead of the industry. Tesla wrote all this software themselves - a "software defined car". They have centralized controlling computers, can easily swap out firmware and hardware, and have vastly simplified wire harnesses. The legacy OEMs will catch up - after a decade and a lot of money and firing the wrong people and hiring the right people.
Jim Farley was just talking about this recently - why it takes so long for legacy automakers to release software updates. it's because they work with so many different vendors and have to coordinate between them all to fix issues

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see all kinds of dirt roads and the interior of the Maverick with it's less than awesome door seals sees a ton of dust - Surprised the air filter looks relatively clean. Which PN filter are u using ?
If the issue doesn't happen on a 5 minute trip around the block, it's a "cannot duplicate" and your vehicle gets parked. They don't spend an extra minute to investigate, even if you specifically describe the issue. I typed up a whole detailed list on my Chevy Cruze, exactly when and how issues occur. Dealer could not duplicate...

DanMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just a little word of warning to those who are lurking and considering buying a maverick.
I have a very early 2022 XL hybrid that I took delivery on in Dec 2021 that is now approaching 40k miles.
I really wanted to like this little pickup but the mounting issues are really chipping away at my satisfaction and confidence.
These are the issues I have had to date. Some have been resolved and others are still lingering with no apparent solution.

Be prepared for ALOT of headaches. These things are trouble. I have had pretty much every problem known.

RESOLVED ISSUES
1. Engine fire recall. Complete. Ford actually came to my house to do repair
2. Airbag recall. Done at dealership and I even received a nice YETI tumbler for my trouble.
3. Remote start catalytic converter overheating. Done at dealership.
4. Grabby brakes @ low speed. Took a year and a half but Ford finally released a fix and it is much better. Still not 100% but I can live with it.
5. EGR System failure. Repaired at dealer under warranty.

UNRESOLVED:
1. Dash Rattle: Requested repair @ dealer, Noise cannot be replicated.
2. Battery drain due to vehicle staying powered up with key out: Sometime when turning off vehicle and removing key everything stays powered on. Vehicle cannot be driven but dash stays illuminated, heat/ac works, radio works, etc. Vehicle apparently stays in this mode until battery dies. IF you catch it and reinsert key condition goes away. DEALER CANNOT REPLICATE
3. Customer satisfaction program 22B39 12v battery drain. WAITING ON PARTS
4. SAFETY RECALL 23S27 : Apparently the 1st fire recall fix is not sufficient. WAITING ON FIX FROM FORD
5. ENGINE/TRANSMISSION surge @ idle: In colder weather with car in drive but stopped, there is a surge that feels like the car is trying to move forward. It goes away after a short warmup, but it is a very unsettling feeling. DEALER CANNOT REPLICATE EVEN THOUGH IT HAPPENS ALMOST EVERY DRIVE CYCLE
6. Loud Engine rattle/shake: In cold winter temps once in a while with ICE engine running there is a very loud rattle coming from driver side engine bay. A very noticable shake is also present. Sounds Horrific. I have not been able to pinpoint where noise is coming from because when car is put in Park and I exit vehicle to investigate, ICE engine shuts down. DEALER CANNOT REPLICATE
7. Electrical/weird issues: The other day I parked, turned off vehicle, key out and exited car. About a minute later the radio turned on at full volume and could not be turned off or down until the key was inserted and vehicle turned on. HAVE NOT BROUGHT TO DEALER. OUT OF WARRANTY
8. Vehicle routinely goes into deep sleep mode. Not sure that this is really a problem, but sometimes it happens multiple times per day.

All that being said there are things that I absolutely love about the Maverick. Its pleasant to drive, gets great fuel economy, and is fairly utilitarian.
I have 3 Ford products in my driveway and really want to stay a loyal Ford customer, but man this little Maverick is making that hard to do.

Hello, I'm at 23,000 miles and I've had many of these similar issues. I just dropped it off this week because of a vibration being felt when I accelerated. I just got the call this morning that the front CV joints need to be replaced and they are on back order. I bet this is the same issue with your vibrations.

Sponsored

RobertSapp

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We are new to the hybrid game. what is this EV coach?
It's a dash display setting you can turn on that shows when the vehicle is operating in electric, hybrid or regeneration mode, and has a dynamic bar graph display to act as a coach. My wife has fun trying to make sure she stays in the blue electric zone as much as possible, and has learned how to read the regen bar to make sure she always gets to 100% on the brake coach.

RobertSapp

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Energy recapture for hybrid battery, try to get 100%
Just touch the brake ever so slightly till the generator is spinning and coast to a stop or brake gently to a stop. You are charging the hybrid battery.
That's the brake coach. The EV coach provides much more information in bar graph form.

Dmthomp32

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I feel like I read about a lot more issues with the hybrid models than the ICE’s. I have no idea if that is true but that’s what I see a lot more of in this forum. This OP makes me happy to have an ecoboost. Now when I hit 40,000 miles we will see if I’m still happy. 8,000 so far!

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Spun 33, 333 miles today after picking it up May of 22. Only problems have all been recalls others have experienced when they bought thier first generation of a new model.

This aint a Toyota with no new bells and whistles and a 15 year engine. It's a cheap, small truck.
Sponsored