First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went and looked at a Ridgeline when first came out. Was too big and too expensive to even test drive.
Sponsored

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
Because I can't decide, I currently have a deposit on a '22 Ridgeline and '22 Maverick XLT AWD, luxury pkg
Due to availability and my semi-remote location, I have no way to test drive a Maverick. I am going solely off trusted Youtube reviewers opinions and specs.
I have fairly extensive driving time in a relative's Passport, the cousin to the Ridgeline.
- Their performance/mpg numbers are very close.
- Ridgeline has a solid reliability reputation and resale.
- Something about the Maverick seems more "fun." Like a VW GTI truck.
- Ridgeline is larger, more cargo, slightly more towing. Likely is better for regular towing overall due to the V6.
- Maverick is ~$9k cheaper. The extra money up-front for the Ridgeline is ok with me if it's largely retained at resale, which is hard to compare with a brand new model.
- I have a negative reliabilty experience history with Ford from 7k mi on. I had a Honda that rust was the issue, not reliability.

The Ridgeline is due to arrive next week and the Maverick the first week of February. Once I pass on the Ridgeline, it will be a loooong wait again. So, I need to be decisive soon.

Anyone have experience with both?
Man, I feel ya! I contemplated the Ridgeline, but, to get comparable specs as the Mav I ordered, itā€™ll be at least an additional $10k. Since I ordered a hybrid, the price tag and much lower mpg kept me hanging in there for the Mav.

I contemplate other options everyday, as I ordered early and still donā€™t have a build date. Unfortunately, the Mav just checks all of the boxes and I canā€™t find another truck - Frontier, Ridgeline, Santa Cruz - or SUV - RAV4, Kona, Escape, Crosstrek -that comes even close.

So, I made the mistake of compromising on a Jeep Renegade I bought some years ago. I didnā€™t think Iā€™d regret the compromise at the time I bought it, but, about a month later, I wish I had waited for the one with everything I wanted. I really grew to hate it. Luckily it caught fire (faulty wiring in the outlet in the trunk) and I was able to get my Countryman S. (Was coaching soccer. Came back to Renegade after a and saw flames up to the ceiling just after I tried opening it. Luckily the electronics went haywire and wouldnā€™t unlock. Otherwise, I wouldā€™ve opened the truck before noticing flames and couldā€™ve gotten ugly quick.) Anyway, the Countryman S had everything I wanted, and Iā€™ve been very happy with it.

This is what keeps me hanging in there for the Mav. Donā€™t want to settle for something just because the Mav wonā€™t be delivered for a few more months. I know Iā€™ll hate it just like the Renegade, and Iā€™ll hope whatever I settled for would catch fire too. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

ā€¦. This clearly didnā€™t answer any of your questions. Moral of the story: donā€™t settle just for the sake of instant gratification otherwise you could possibly Will a fire - through some sort of pent up Harry Potter kind of sorcery you didnā€™t realize you had - to occur in the ride you settled for. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

OP
OP

armadilloaviation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60, Nissan Leaf, Porsche 997
Different vehicles in many ways. I would take delivery on the Ridgeline, drive it until the Maverick arrives and then base your decision on the test drive. You can walk away from the Maverick if you want to. If you want the Maverick, I would imagine your Ridgeline would not lose value at trade in based on the crazy used market right now.
That's kind-of what my wife said. She said buy both then keep the better one. The sales tax would likely be lost though.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honda quality better. Ford cheaper and much better fuel economy. Honda longevity proven. Ford longevity yet to be determined.
The mav is basically the escape platform which has been around for a while. The ecoboost was just reworked to correct some issues. So it's a new model but it's off the shelf parts. Yeah, the longevity has yet to be determined, but it *should* be pretty good.

Honda and toyota aren't the cast iron reliable vehicles they used to be. Hearing some buzz that the newer tacomas may have some issues. Dunno about Honda.

In the end it's probably a wash. Get what you want and the warranty is there to cover the rest. If it's a dog with fleas we will know in a few years.

Pop2020

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My last vehicle was an '06 Ridgeline w/216k miles that was totaled in a crash two years ago. I've been sitting on the insurance money ever since. I was planning on eventually buying another Ridgeline until I ran across the Maverick last summer.

I'm going with the Maverick for several reasons:
1) about $8500 less MSRP given how I would equip each version
2) The MPG of the hybrid
3) While I think the Ridgeline would prove to be more reliable, long-term reliability isn't as much of a concern. My driving needs have changed and I'll only be putting about 7-8k miles/yr on it instead of the 16k I averaged on my Ridgeline, which means it may be 10 years or more before I break 100k miles. Given the warranty coverage, I think a whole lot will have to go wrong to make up for the Ridgeline's $8500 price difference. My past Ford vehicles may not have matched the Ridgeline in reliability, but they were still reliable vehicles.

If I was buying a primary vehicle, I'd probably buy a Ridgeline, but the Maverick fits the need of a economical vehicle with some truck utility that I want and even need.

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Different vehicles in many ways. I would take delivery on the Ridgeline, drive it until the Maverick arrives and then base your decision on the test drive. You can walk away from the Maverick if you want to. If you want the Maverick, I would imagine your Ridgeline would not lose value at trade in based on the crazy used market right now.
I was thinking this as well. If OP has a price already negotiated for the RL, I would take it, and drive it until the Mav arrives, then do a careful evaluation of both trucks, and finances involved going either way. OP, you're actually in a good spot, given the current market. Take advantage of your fortunate situation!

As to comparing trucks, I had three G1 RL's, enjoyed them, and got great service from them. Looked at the G2 RL when it came out, but hated the "soft" styling, and horrible back seat space, so went with an F150 at the time. I'm now waiting on my ordered Maverick, so obviously, for me, the Maverick is a better fit than the RL. My wife drives a '21 Pilot, so I'm not anti-Honda. The biggest issue for me with the current RL is price, and back seat room. Your kids will get bigger, so think about that if long term ownership is in the cards. The Maverick actually has more back seat room than the RL.....pretty shocking. And, I just like the features, and looks, of the Maverick better.

But, in the RL's defense, it's a compelling package. Definitely a more premium feeling truck, a better AWD system, and better truck capacity than the Mav. The 3.5 Honda V6 is a smooth operator, and has decent FE, tho I'm a fan of Ford's EB's for the low end grunt. The Honda/ZF 9AT is not great, but has slowly been refined over the years to be pretty decent now. I certainly would not shy away from a RL if you like it, and are OK with the price, it's a very capable & practical truck.

Really, no bad choices here, just what fits you better. Good luck! šŸ¤ 

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Just traded a 21 Ridge for a 22 Mav 3 days ago. If you have kids, the Ridge is the way to go. Not that the back seat space on the Mav is bad. Itā€™s just not what the Ridge has. Kids grow and their stuff grows with them.

Mileageā€¦ā€¦the main reason I got the hybrid. If the hybrid did not exist I never would have gotten a Mav. The 2.0 ICE will better the Ridge by several MPGā€™s.

Despite what many are saying, the Ridge definitely rides better than the Mav. Itā€™s shear size and weight alone (1000 lbs more) make it ā€œfloatā€ over bumps better. Not that the Mav is bad in any way but the difference is very noticeableā€¦..in my opinion.

The trunk built into the bed of the Ridge is very nice. It was hard to give up. Very hard.

I got more than I paid for the Ridge 11 months ago so I also would vote for buying the Ridge, driving a Mav as much as you can find one to test, and decide for yourself.

tebowed

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 2.0T
I'd say if you primarily drive solo, get the Mav, If you have other adults or large kids, get the Ridgeline.

nelsont

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I started the comparison off three, Maverick, Santa Cruz, and the Ridgeline.
Price ruled out the Ridgeline right away. 30k budget.
For my needs, the Maverick fits the bill. My first Ford, wish me luck!

Braderick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT, RAV4 Hybrid, KIA EV6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Donā€™t forget to factor in the after-purchase commentsā€¦

ā€I told youā€¦.ā€

ā€You should haveā€¦ā€

ā€œThat was your decisionā€¦ā€

These add-ons cause a vehicleā€™s value, to you personally, to increase or decrease.

I Shall not sail upon your fated voyageā€¦

<humor>

Sponsored

rightmuch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I sold my 17 Ridgeline 3 months ago betting on the Mav Hybrid. Got $1500 less than I paid for it 3 years ago and put 60K miles on it. Until I researched the Mav, I figured I'd drive the Honda till the wheels fell off....and then I did research on the Mav. Picked mine up yesterday, and I must say it's everything I was counting on and then some. I actually think it rides and handles as well as the RL--if not better--and is remarkably quiet. And then there's the gas mileage. The hybrid is what convinced me to roll the dice. Ford did a remarkable job creating a vehicle with a tremendous bang for the buck.

Booboo and Allie have given it the seal of approval as their new dogmobile. :)

Ford Maverick Straddling the Fence - Maverick/Ridgeline IMG_8255

Ford Maverick Straddling the Fence - Maverick/Ridgeline IMG_8261

jmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm probably the odd one out here, but if money is not a concern, than I would get the ridgeline. Its a better built more powerful, more capable unibody truck with a proven track record. If you don't care about paying a bit more for the truck, I will assume the MPG difference does not matter either.

Having said that, if I was looking at the ridgeline, I would also take a hard look at the new frontier. Frontier would be a much more capable vehicle from the truck point of view, while giving up some of the creature comforts a bit.
Agree if money is no objective it is a better vehicle. I own a 2019 RTLE. But the Maverick is a far better value IMO.

Pop2020

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I sold my 17 Ridgeline 3 months ago betting on the Mav Hybrid. Got $1500 less than I paid for it 3 years ago and put 60K miles on it. Until I researched the Mav, I figured I'd drive the Honda till the wheels fell off....and then I did research on the Mav. Picked mine up yesterday, and I must say it's everything I was counting on and then some. I actually think it rides and handles as well as the RL--if not better--and is remarkably quiet. And then there's the gas mileage. The hybrid is what convinced me to roll the dice. Ford did a remarkable job creating a vehicle with a tremendous bang for the buck.

Booboo and Allie have given it the seal of approval as their new dogmobile. :)
Well, as long as the dogs like it then it's a winner! My Golden (English Cream variety) is patiently waiting along with me for my Maverick to arrive.

eddiejsw

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Take both. Keep whichever one you like after comparing directly. You will likely make a tiny profit selling the one you don't want, even after considering taxes and title given the insane car market.
Sponsored