Sponsored

Maverick vs Ridgeline.. has anyone compare the maverick to a Ridgeline?

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ridgline twice the price and half the mileage. Not that much more capable. It's a foreign owned brand. Not much to compare.

HuieDouieLouie

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT AWD EB in Iconic Silver
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a 2022 Ridgeline RTL-E for about a year, $44K MSRP... I had so many issues with it and Honda dealers treat you like an idiot if you try and get anything fixed. This was my 3rd Honda and not the first I've had issues with. They've actually given me the most problems out of the handful of brands I've owned. I'm done with Honda forever.

The utility aspect of the truck was pretty cool. The built in trunk in the bed was very handy. IMO, the bed was too shallow though, you can't even fit a standard size cooler in there.

The safety suite on the Ridgeline is horrible. The radar cruise in the Gen2's is Honda's first gen system and is so jerky it's unusable. It constantly taps the brakes and accelerator to keep speed. The crash mitigation is also a joke. It would regularly false alert on 2 lane roads for oncoming cars in the opposite lane around curves.... Honda's response " turn the system off on 2 lane roads or on curvy roads"... Ok, what's the point of having it then?

On top of the electronics being crap mine also had a faulty PCV system that Honda knows is an issue yet denies it is. The PCV hose runs over the intake. Whoever makes the hose makes it out of a material that is too pourous causing it to leech fuel vapors which get sucked into the cabin. You could always smell fuel\oil when idling, at a stop light for example.

Let's see, what else. Oh the jerky 9 speed that also takes 5 seconds to switch from reverse to drive, water leaks from the rear window, warped brake rotors by 7K miles, auto high beams that don't work, numerous manufacturing defects inside and out...

It really was a nightmare of a truck and I could not recommend the Ridge or a Honda in general to anyone.

Last edited:

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Comparing a Maverick to a Ridgeline is like comparing a stripper to a hooker. Both are fine tastes like wine.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Lets just agree that the Ridgeline has an established reputation for reliability etc etc. Question was regarding the initial take off from a stop to say about 40mh.
We have both the Maverick hybrid and new Gen Ridgeline. After driving the maverick for over 3 months, I got behind the Ridgeline this morning. And it just felt sluggish compared to the maverick on take off. Ecoboost off but it just felt that it was moving kind of slow like Uncle Joe.

behind
And it will continue to move like that when the two Fords are just a distant memory.

Sponsored

BlueRio52

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I do like the Ridgeline it is much bigger overall then Maverick and they ride very well yes MPG not great but really too big for what i want but maybe best riding truck i have driven you owe yourself a test drive pretty quick with the V-6.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't think the "foreign owned" argument is very persuasive, considering that the Maverick is built in Mexico.

"The Honda Ridgeline and Ridgeline TrailSport will continue to be built in America*, exclusively at Honda's Lincoln, Alabama auto plant, continuing the 40-year legacy of Honda's commitment to build products close to the customer. "

Samus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I originally wanted a Ridgeline but I couldn't get past the gas mileage. I just really liked the extra "trunk" in the bed and the second way you can open the tailgate. I never pulled the trigger on one because of the mpg. Then Maverick released with a hybrid and great gas mileage (though I would rather have a PHEV) and I was ready to buy. Unfortunately it took me 2 model years to get it. Haha.

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tig
Engine
Undecided
I actually looked at the Ridgline first.
What drove it home to me that it was designed by people who build SUVs and just chopped off the roof was the spare tire in the bed.
First thing I thought of-getting a flat with a load of stone or mulch. Brillant people over there at Honda, just none are truck folks.

Also, the reliability of Honda and Toyotas are not what they used to be.
Let's talk after the new Tacoma has been out a while- easy to be reliable when you don't change.

TimTx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
Undecided
I can get a 2023 Ridgeline RTL-E for $44k OTD, a 2023 Tacoma Limited for $48k OTD, or a 2024 Maverick Lariat with a hard cover and moonroof for $42k OTD (not an order, just on a lot somewhere).

That makes them all somewhat apples-to-apples as far as features. I can't order in 2021 or 2022 and get those prices because I didn't. I can order now but I'm within about $1-2k for the Lariat savings.

I never tried the acceleration of the Maverick Hybrid because I could never find one to test drive. I'm still trying to choose.

Sponsored

TimTx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
Undecided
I had a 2022 Ridgeline RTL-E for about a year, $44K MSRP... I had so many issues with it and Honda dealers treat you like an idiot if you try and get anything fixed. This was my 3rd Honda and not the first I've had issues with. They've actually given me the most problems out of the handful of brands I've owned. I'm done with Honda forever.

The utility aspect of the truck was pretty cool. The built in trunk in the bed was very handy. IMO,...
Very interesting. I hadn't heard bad things about the Ridgeline other than potential water leaks.

I liked the ride and the comfort, and the tailgate opening a different way would really make it easier to get a fishing cart into the bed. The in-bed storage area looked cool too for groceries.

HuieDouieLouie

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT AWD EB in Iconic Silver
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Very interesting. I hadn't heard bad things about the Ridgeline other than potential water leaks.

I liked the ride and the comfort, and the tailgate opening a different way would really make it easier to get a fishing cart into the bed. The in-bed storage area looked cool too for groceries.
Yeah I think what I found was that a large majority of Ridgeline owners seemed to be older (like 60+) and either don't use the tech that is in them and or have never experienced good tech so they don't know any better.

As far as the quality problems and all the other issues I had with it, that was just super disappointing out of Honda. If they upgraded their tech I may consider another one as the ride and utility was awesome and I really do miss it. I'd be pretty leery though...

Hoping my 24 Mav can scratch that "truck" itch for me for a while.

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tig
Engine
Undecided
I can get a 2023 Ridgeline RTL-E for $44k OTD, a 2023 Tacoma Limited for $48k OTD, or a 2024 Maverick Lariat with a hard cover and moonroof for $42k OTD (not an order, just on a lot somewhere).

That makes them all somewhat apples-to-apples as far as features. I can't order in 2021 or 2022 and get those prices because I didn't. I can order now but I'm within about $1-2k for the Lariat savings.

I never tried the acceleration of the Maverick Hybrid because I could never find one to test drive. I'm still trying to choose.
Why not use the 2024 Limited that starts at 52k?
Sponsored