First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No love for the Santa Cruz in this debate? Consensus of reviews says Hyundai's AWD system is about as good as Honda's and priced a lot closer to the Mav.
So Consumer Reports has finally given the SC a grade, and they have always loved the Ridgeline and still do.

The SC basically being a smaller Ridgeline, and the 2022 Tucson Hybrid getting a VERY high score and recommended status in class, I was sure the SC would get their seal of approval. NOPE!

They started off giving the SC a very respectable 77/100 road test score and overall they liked the ride, but they dropped the overall score to 59/100 based on their prediction of poor reliability. While the Tucson Hybrid is built in Korea, they don't seem as confident about the first year model SC built in Alabama. The Ridgeline however being a Honda with a long track history of reliability and being merely a refreshed model for 22 they predict highest reliability, which is one of their most important score considerations next to practicality and comfort. Perhaps if the 22 SC proves decent reliability in their surveys come April 22, they may bump the SCs score up considerably.

However, to put things in perspective, the Toyota Tacoma that has so many fanbois scored even lower than the Santa Cruz at 51/100 citing that while reliable, they pretty much hate everything else from ride, practicality, and comfort. So you kind of have to decide what you care most about, and if that mirrors CRs staff's priorities.
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not sure horsepower is relevant to this discussion. The dual clutch tranny only comes with the turbo engine. The base non-turbo has a "regular" 8 speed auto. Just seems weird that this discussion could happen between the Mav and Ridgeline while excluding the Hyundai altogether.
the Hyundai is not designed to be a truck, lifestyle vehicle that is basically their small CUV with back section opened up as a bed. I can see why OP left it out.

tebowed

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 2.0T
Like the first gen Ridgeline, would not buy the current one.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only time the SC can get close to the Maverick on value is if you stick every single option on a lariat. At that point the Maverick hits a price point/feature set that a mid trim SC can match.
That's not true, unless you consider the 191hp base engine too lethargic.

For example, lets say you want a compact AWD pickup truck that can tow your 3K lb boat to the dock, but has certain basic "must have" features like power seat, DRLs, cruise control, blindspot monitoring/cross traffic alert, and keyless push-button start, the SC comes out cheaper.

For the SC that would come out to $29,915 delivered, plus add say $800 for a hitch + wireless brake controller = $30.7K

For the equiv Mav you would need a Lariat (for DRLs and push-button) w/ 360 (for BLIS/CTA), tow package (to get over 2Klbs tow rating), spray in liner (composite can be used naked, but painted beds usually need some kind of protection), and a swing toolcase box (equiv of SC's built-in bed storage) which comes out to $32.3K. Add another few grand if you want to match the no-deductible 5 year bumper to bumper and 10 year powertrain warranty, as those aren't cheap directly from Ford. Google "PremiumCare" for a quote, but its likely to bump the price to ~$35K.

Granted the Mav would have 250hp vs the SCs 191hp, but the SC has a direct+port injected engine w/ recommended 87 octane so should be cheaper to own over the long haul, fancier LED tail lights, a self-damped tailgate, and a self-leveling rear suspension, so its not apples apples but there are pros and cons.

tl;dr: Getting over 2Klb tow rating and AWD on the Maverick REALLY balloons the price quickly, and while the XL is a tremendous value, there are certainly shoppers that aren't willing to give up modern features like cruise control or push button start. Its only if you don't need those things that the Mav can't be touched on price, as the FWD Hybrid maverick is the no-brainer frugal option.

Last edited:

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the Hyundai is not designed to be a truck, lifestyle vehicle that is basically their small CUV with back section opened up as a bed. I can see why OP left it out.
Capabilities of the SC are on par with a Mav, which is also basically CUV based with a bed. Heck, if anything the SC is slightly more trucky when it comes to tow ratings. The base SC can tow 3.5K lbs and the turbo 5K lbs. The base Mav can tow 2K lbs and the turbo tow package upgrade 4K lbs. Both have very high payloads on par with my Dodge Ram.

They are marketed and styled much differently, but that's aesthetics. I do agree that the Mav looks like a truck, basically a small F-150, whereas even modded the SC to me is more of like a sand buggy pickup, heh:
Ford Maverick Maverick AWD or Ridgeline AWD??? Capture2.JPG

If complaining about styling, its the Ridgeline to me that is the least interesting. The first gen was really quirky and cool, but the latest iteration, although helped w/ the mild refresh, is still kinda meh IMO. Its not ugly, its just not stimulating. The optional package spices it up, but I'm not fond of those large plastic flares personally although the grill and wheels are nice:
Ford Maverick Maverick AWD or Ridgeline AWD??? 2021-Honda-Ridgeline-static-front-left-close-u

Last edited:

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Who wins the best AWD?

Honda with their Ridgeline or Ford with their Maverick???

Which one you would take out in a blizzard snow storm or a nasty muddy sandy road???
The OP asked specifically about the Mav & Ridgeline.

Why do some feel the need to throw the SC into the mix? Clearly the OP doesn't care about the SC, or he would have included it to begin with.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's not true, unless you consider the 191hp base engine too lethargic.

For example, lets say you want a compact AWD pickup truck that can tow your 3K lb boat to the dock, but has certain basic "must have" features like power seat, DRLs, cruise control, blindspot monitoring/cross traffic alert, and keyless push-button start, the SC comes out cheaper.

For the SC that would come out to $29,915 delivered, plus add say $800 for a hitch + wireless brake controller = $30.7K

For the equiv Mav you would need a Lariat (for DRLs and push-button) w/ 360 (for BLIS/CTA), tow package (to get over 2Klbs tow rating), spray in liner (composite can be used naked, but painted beds usually need some kind of protection), and a swing toolcase box (equiv of SC's built-in bed storage) which comes out to $32.3K. Add another few grand if you want to match the no-deductible 5 year bumper to bumper and 10 year powertrain warranty, as those aren't cheap directly from Ford. Google "PremiumCare" for a quote, but its likely to bump the price to ~$35K.

Granted the Mav would have 250hp vs the SCs 191hp, but the SC has a direct+port injected engine w/ recommended 87 octane so should be cheaper to own over the long haul, fancier LED tail lights, a self-damped tailgate, and a self-leveling rear suspension, so its not apples apples but there are pros and cons.

tl;dr: Getting over 2Klb tow rating and AWD on the Maverick REALLY balloons the price quickly, and while the XL is a tremendous value, there are certainly shoppers that aren't willing to give up modern features like cruise control or push button start. Its only if you don't need those things that the Mav can't be touched on price, as the FWD Hybrid maverick is the no-brainer frugal option.
Right, so you specked a mid trim (arguably low trim because of the much weaker base engine) Santa Cruz and are trying to compare it to a tricked out Lariat with a 2.0 that will absolutely smoke the 191hp SC even if you stick 87 octane in the Maverick. And the Maverick will still get better MPGs by a fair margin even using the 87 octane.

I just don't think your configuration comparison is fair just because of the engine difference. The base SC engine is underpowered and cannot be compared to the 2.0, much less the Hybrid from a value proposition.

Once you step up to the turbo SC the value comparison becomes a lot harder on the SC. And the reliability also takes a hit because of the dual clutch transmission. The SC does have some nice standard features and the cabin is definitely higher quality feeling in my opinion.

in the end though Its just a pros cons list that each person has to decide which are more important to them personally. For me the value proposition of an XLT that gets 37-43mpg for 25k out the door just could not even be approached by the SC.

Last edited:

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just don't think your configuration comparison is fair just because of the engine difference. The base SC engine is underpowered and cannot be compared to the 2.0, much less the Hybrid from a value proposition.
Sure, that's why I said IF you don't care about peak horsepower. And the Lariat isn't really "tricked out" compared to a SC SEL for the most part, because the SEL includes a ton of standard features. Even the base SE trim is basically an XLT, except even the SE for example has 18" wheels standard, can tow 3.5K lbs, and AWD is half the price as on the Mav because if you remove it on the Mav you're also downgrading the suspension which there is no downgrade cheaper suspension on the SC even the base model gets the same one as the Limited.

For example, if you look at mirrors, on the SC SEL you have power heated body painted mirrors with integrated LED turn signals. On the Maverick, you either need a luxury package or Lariat, but they still don't give you integrated blinkers.

If you look at the tailgate, on the SC SEL you can press the keyfob and the tailgate drops slowly, and it has pretty slick looking integrated LED running lights. On the Mav, you can unlock it with the keyfob, but its manual drop and will just slam down, so its another little cost cutting here and there.

When you step inside, the Lariat does get faux-leather, but the infotainment is still the same base one that's in the XL that's not even Sync 3 unless you spend another almost $4K, whereas even the base SC SE still has a more modern wireless AA/CP head unit with sat radio and a higher resolution camera. And while its hard plastics everywhere on the Mav, the SC gets soft touch on the top half.

If you look at the DRLs, they don't exist on the Mav until you go to the Lariat, and then its just a small strip on the top of the light. The DRLs on the SC I imagine cost more to have the 8 lights integrated into the grill.
Ford Maverick Maverick AWD or Ridgeline AWD??? 45557-2022santacruz-1618504567

Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, and I could talk just as long about things that are missing on the SC like even the Limited doesn't get a rear center arm rest.
in the end though Its just a pros cons list that each person has to decide which are more important to them personally.
Oh yeah, for sure, that's the only point I was making that there are builds for certain specific customer requirements where the SC ends up cheaper than the Mav. The Mav isn't always cheaper if you need certain things, most particularly AWD and more than 2K tow capacity are the biggest ones. And a lot of people forget that to bump the Ford warranty up to the Hyundai one you'll spend a few grand.

Davido49

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4
Who wins the best AWD?

Honda with their Ridgeline or Ford with their Maverick???

Which one you would take out in a blizzard snow storm or a nasty muddy sandy road???
Personally after owning our Maverick Lariat FX4 for a bit now ..the excellent vehicle it is vs the $$ saved getting a Maverick over a Ridgeline. I chose an still would choose the Maverick all day long! It's hard to beat for all the excellence you get for the price pt.

Davido49

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4
Sure, that's why I said IF you don't care about peak horsepower. And the Lariat isn't really "tricked out" compared to a SC SEL for the most part, because the SEL includes a ton of standard features. Even the base SE trim is basically an XLT, except even the SE for example has 18" wheels standard, can tow 3.5K lbs, and AWD is half the price as on the Mav because if you remove it on the Mav you're also downgrading the suspension which there is no downgrade cheaper suspension on the SC even the base model gets the same one as the Limited.

For example, if you look at mirrors, on the SC SEL you have power heated body painted mirrors with integrated LED turn signals. On the Maverick, you either need a luxury package or Lariat, but they still don't give you integrated blinkers.

If you look at the tailgate, on the SC SEL you can press the keyfob and the tailgate drops slowly, and it has pretty slick looking integrated LED running lights. On the Mav, you can unlock it with the keyfob, but its manual drop and will just slam down, so its another little cost cutting here and there.

When you step inside, the Lariat does get faux-leather, but the infotainment is still the same base one that's in the XL that's not even Sync 3 unless you spend another almost $4K, whereas even the base SC SE still has a more modern wireless AA/CP head unit with sat radio and a higher resolution camera. And while its hard plastics everywhere on the Mav, the SC gets soft touch on the top half.

If you look at the DRLs, they don't exist on the Mav until you go to the Lariat, and then its just a small strip on the top of the light. The DRLs on the SC I imagine cost more to have the 8 lights integrated into the grill.
45557-2022santacruz-1618504567.jpg

Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, and I could talk just as long about things that are missing on the SC like even the Limited doesn't get a rear center arm rest.

Oh yeah, for sure, that's the only point I was making that there are builds for certain specific customer requirements where the SC ends up cheaper than the Mav. The Mav isn't always cheaper if you need certain things, most particularly AWD and more than 2K tow capacity are the biggest ones. And a lot of people forget that to bump the Ford warranty up to the Hyundai one you'll spend a few grand.
Thats about the best thing Hyundai has going for it is the "warranty ". As many have said it's not very attractive. Also, alot of us know the excellent reputation of Ford trucks overall an know there is that DNA in the Maverick. So , a Hyundai personally was never in the running for us regardless of warranty or price! You can get an extended Ford warrenty for much less than "couple thousand" as you said. It's a negotiable item. You have 12mos after sale ..to purchase the extended warranty so you can shop other dealers an online as well. Flood Ford has excellent prices on extended warranties .

Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
Hyundais have a history of powertrain issues why would anyone want to risk it on a truck when that's arguably the most important component? Ford has built trucks for decades and Hondas have proven themselves. Hyundai has to offer a 100k warranty to get people to buy.
This is a pretty irrelevant comment. I've owned two Hyundais, both without a single hiccup or issue during ownership. I honestly trust Hyundai way more than I do Ford product in terms of long term reliability. I would have preferred the Santa Cruz over the Maverick given my excellent experience with Hyundai but this "trucklet" is for my side business and the Maverick is leasing so much better than the Santa Cruz is.

As for the Ridgeline vs Maverick, comparing these two is kind of moot. They are worlds apart in terms of price and to be honest, the price premium you're paying for the Ridgeline isn't worth it. If you compare specs they are so close in terms of interior and cargo space.

Pop2020

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If price wasn't a consideration, then it would be a much tougher choice. I'd probably lean towards the Ridgeline because I loved my '06 Ridgeline, but unless the Mav ends up with poor reliability I'm probably going to love the hybrid's MPG enough to offset things. My Ridgeline served as a primary vehicle a lot of times in its early years when the kids were still in the house, but that role won't be required of the Maverick so some of the additional bells & whistles and other benefits of a higher priced truck will instead be included whenever we replace our '12 Highlander Limited,

Another thing was that Honda timing belt. It'll take me a long time to get to 100+ miles but the one maintenance thing that I really didn't like on the Ridgeline was the timing belt change at around 106k. It was recommended to also do the water pump at the time and a $1000 "planned maintenace" was a mark against it even with its stellar reliability.

acron1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Last I checked JD Power ranks Hyundai higher than both Honda and Ford in IQS and VDS, but I guess you know better.

The shilling in this thread is unbelievable. Last time I try to add something meaningful to a discussion on this forum.
You do know that the "I" in IQS stands for Initial Quality Survey right? Give it 80-100k miles and them tell me which one holds up better...

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
You do know that the "I" in IQS stands for Initial Quality Survey right? Give it 80-100k miles and them tell me which one holds up better...
Probably the Hyundai considering that the D in VDS stands for dependability 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored