John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FUMOTO PLUG?
Fumoto makes these awesome oil drain plug replacements. They have a valve which you can open/close for oil changes that also mate with tubing to direct your outgoing oil anywhere you want it. I have one on my wife's Nissan Rogue and one on my Impreza. I emailed Fumoto in anticipation of getting the Hybrid Maverick and here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting us

Unfortunately we don't have spec information for your engine but if you
are able to measure the plug manually when you preform your first oil change, we can tell you the corresponding size.
One easy way to measure your plug is to take it to a hardware store and
mate it with a nut."

So they just aren't sure of the size yet.

pgstick02

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1973 Super Beetle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From the pictures of the skid plates looks like you can just take that skinny front panel off and get to the oil filter. I'll save myself the hassle and just use my fluid extractor for the oil.

Sponsored

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
Pay me now or pay me later…
better solves cost more up front but not offering it you pay every oil change.
Either way the man gets paid.
I’m not into driveway oil changes anymore but I can suggest a vacuum extractor is well worth the money and tinfoil drain funnels cannot be suggested enough to mitigate unexpected spills.
And as much as I doubt I’ll be doing my own oil changes I look forward to a remote mount oil filter relocation kit as I doubt all the bolts will find their way back where they belong every time.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like a real pain in the arse to change oil and filter.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some vehicles require the plate to be fully removed I've heard, and with this being a cheap vehicle that's kinda my expectation :/.
I'm just hoping that they did something to make it easier on their technicians and us.

My Toyota Tacoma is the same way - the skid has to
come off

Autonomous

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Promaster 3500, Icky 2015 Outback
My vacuum extractor does not remove all the oil from either vehicle I own. Close enough? Maybe.
I'd like to see the results from using a good quality vacuum followed by a manual drain on both Maverick powerplants.

Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Updated with photos of skid plates that need removal for an oil change - posted by @thunaman (link to post)

Ok Gents, I have taken delivery of my FX4 Maverick today, I can confirm you will need to remove a panel that runs the full width of the truck, and about 6-8” “deep” from the bumper to the main skid plate. The rest of the skid plate is a single piece that covers the rest of the engine bay -- see photos below.
As you can see there is a large panel on the front you need to remove to get to the filter. and a small plastic air scoop (transmission cooling?) in the middle you need to remove to get to the drain plug
All in it took me about 10 min to remove, take pix and replace.

Ford Maverick PSA: oil change on FX4 Maverick requires skid plate panels removal {filename}

Ford Maverick PSA: oil change on FX4 Maverick requires skid plate panels removal {filename}

Original post:

I like to do my own oil changes when I can. Now that I see the FX4 skid plate under the front/engine, how much of a PITA is it going to be to get at the drain plug and filter? Surely FORD would think to add an access panel, but I don't see one in the pics I've viewed. I even cut a hole in the plastic skid plate on my Mazda for quick oil filter access. I only see one skid-plate with the FX4.

Thoughts?

Packaging engineers care zero about any inconvenience.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Packaging engineers care zero about any inconvenience.
To the contrary - I bet there are a lot of engineers who want to do a better job with allowing owners to do their own maintenance - But the company can't allow that because dealer service is very important to the car sales echo system. Like everything - it's probably complicated ( yet very simple )

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If this seems to over whelm you’re mechanical ability go find a good,old fashion mechanic and pay him to do it.but good look finding one🤣

vertigo12369

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To the contrary - I bet there are a lot of engineers who want to do a better job with allowing owners to do their own maintenance - But the company can't allow that because dealer service is very important to the car sales echo system. Like everything - it's probably complicated ( yet very simple )
Yes, we try. Engines are designed outside of vehicle specific platforms so there is always some challenge. I've had several vehicles that were worse. Nothing like arcing the starter motor while removing the filter (I'm looking at you GM 3.1L V6).

Another plug option
https://ezoildrainvalve.com/index.html

thunaman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In my humble opinion I would rather have the protection from the skid plates for the times I may go soft road in my Mav then have a convenient oil change. I have had damage in another vehicle due to off road activities and I would prefer avoiding that again. Plus, the dealer is doing all my oil changes up to 100K miles.
Sponsored