Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi all,

The cost of Regular VS Premium unleaded is almost a deal breaker.I always heard that turbo needed Premium. What fuel does it need? How about Ethanol 10% ?

Thanks
I asked my Dealer service managers and they both said 87 is fine. If I'm not mistaken the Maverick has a twin turbo which alleviates some of the carbon build up of earlier turbos. Anyone hear different?
Sponsored

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue, 4K Tow, Luxury Package, Flux Capacitor
I asked my Dealer service managers and they both said 87 is fine. If I'm not mistaken the Maverick has a twin turbo which alleviates some of the carbon build up of earlier turbos. Anyone hear different?
I've read a lot of reviews and watched a lot of videos because I'm so excited about getting this truck. Right or wrong, here is what I've found out -
1. The Hybrid has a 2.5 liter with no turbo. The link with the electric motor gives it extra power.
2. The 2.0 EcoBoost has one turbo.
3. Carbon buildup has been in the news, mostly with Toyotas. It's not related to turbos, it's related to where the fuel injectors are located.
4.Carbon builds up on intake valves when an engine uses direct injection rather port injection. The reason is that port injection shoots fuel over the intake valves and this keeps them clean. Direct injection shoots fuel directly into the cylinder, and the result is that the intake valves don't get cleaned by the fuel and carbon builds up on them.
5. Both the Hybrid and EcoBoost use direct injection. Some cars, like the 5.0 Mustang, use both direct and port injection. So they don't have a carbon buildup issue.
6. Carbon buildup on our Mavericks shouldn't be an issue until 70,000 miles, and may never be an issue.
7. From what I've read, fuel octane rating doesn't make much difference on carbon buildup on a direct injected engine. The Maverick manual, on page 172, says that octane rating does make a difference in some situations, like when you are towing. The manual recommends 91 octane to get the best performance out of your Maverick. But it also says that you can use 87 octane. You get to choose. Hey, it's America.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
5. Both the Hybrid and EcoBoost use direct injection. Some cars, like the 5.0 Mustang, use both direct and port injection. So they don't have a carbon buildup issue.
The Hybrid 2.5 is port injected, not direct injection.

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

The cost of Regular VS Premium unleaded is almost a deal breaker.I always heard that turbo needed Premium. What fuel does it need? How about Ethanol 10% ?

Thanks
If you’ve got the Hybrid what’s an extra $4-$5/fill up. With Hybrid fill ups should be few and far between, most likely.

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've read a lot of reviews and watched a lot of videos because I'm so excited about getting this truck. Right or wrong, here is what I've found out -
1. The Hybrid has a 2.5 liter with no turbo. The link with the electric motor gives it extra power.
3. Carbon buildup has been in the news, mostly with Toyotas. It's not related to turbos, it's related to where the fuel injectors are located.
4.Carbon builds up on intake valves when an engine uses direct injection rather port injection. The reason is that port injection shoots fuel over the intake valves and this keeps them clean. Direct injection shoots fuel directly into the cylinder, and the result is that the intake valves don't get cleaned by the fuel and carbon builds up on them.
6. Carbon buildup on our Mavericks shouldn't be an issue until 70,000 miles, and may never be an issue.
7. From what I've read, fuel octane rating doesn't make much difference on carbon buildup on a direct injected engine. The Maverick manual, on page 172, says that octane rating does make a difference in some situations, like when you are towing. The manual recommends 91 octane to get the best performance out of your Maverick. But it also says that you can use 87 octane. You get to choose. Hey, it's America.
Excellent info, thank you:)

Sponsored

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Hybrid 2.5 is port injected, not direct injection.
Yes, thank you. I just found that. Sorry for the incorrect info.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m curious if 91 or better octane makes enough of a difference in hot weather in regards to performance.

I’ve had issues with 87 octane in hot weather and tended to use 89 often as a result but never had an ecoboost before so I’m not sure if it makes enough of a difference. The V6’s and V8’s I dealt with would be absolute slugs for throttle response and passing acceleration due to pulling ignition timing in 90 degree weather so I’m assuming where 89 octane helped slightly to retain the normal ignition timing curve in the summer. Typically I ran 87 in the winter though. The N/A 4 cylinders I owned it made no difference whatsoever running above 87 for them so they stayed the same year round.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I’m curious if 91 or better octane makes enough of a difference in hot weather in regards to performance.

I’ve had issues with 87 octane in hot weather and tended to use 89 often as a result but never had an ecoboost before so I’m not sure if it makes enough of a difference. The V6’s and V8’s I dealt with would be absolute slugs for throttle response and passing acceleration due to pulling ignition timing in 90 degree weather so I’m assuming where 89 octane helped slightly to retain the normal ignition timing curve in the summer. Typically I ran 87 in the winter though. The N/A 4 cylinders I owned it made no difference whatsoever running above 87 for them so they stayed the same year round.
I have an older 2.0l Ecoboost in my Escape and while I've never thrown it on a dyno to confirm (because why) but it certainly seems to run better and give slightly better gas mileage when running 91 instead of 87. Of course, I basically live on the surface of the sun in AZ, so heat is a pretty common occurrence.

Last edited:

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let's do some math here!

12,000 miles/yr @24mpg = 500 gallons of fuel

Cost of regular at $2.50 x 500 =$1,250
Cost of premium at $2.80 x500 = $1,400

An annual added cost of $150, or $12.50/month. But...a $45 or $60 sams/costco membership at least here in MN gets me premium for +/- $0.05 more, making the only difference the cost of the membership, less than $5/month.
And Costco uses "top tier" gas, which is a requirement for GDI engines like the EB.

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you start noticing oil consumption, you'll know that the valves and rings have carboned up on the GDI (gas direct injection) engines. Usually by then it's too late to just do an intake cleaning to stop it. It's an industry-wide issue that is only solved by installing new pistons and rings or a new short block. I would suggest on the EB engines to use something like CRC intake cleaner at every oil change. I've seen enough cars come in with issues after just 10,000 miles needing major engine work. Once you're out of warranty it will become a major expense.

Sponsored

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you start noticing oil consumption, you'll know that the valves and rings have carboned up on the GDI (gas direct injection) engines. Usually by then it's too late to just do an intake cleaning to stop it. It's an industry-wide issue that is only solved by installing new pistons and rings or a new short block. I would suggest on the EB engines to use something like CRC intake cleaner at every oil change. I've seen enough cars come in with issues after just 10,000 miles needing major engine work. Once you're out of warranty it will become a major expense.
Yikes, thanks for the advice!
Is CRC the best product for that?
Should the average EcoBoost driver get it cleaned professionally? How often?

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

Thanks
I never ran premium in our escape. No issues

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's pretty simple to do, but you'll need 2 people. One to spray the cleaner and one to rev (slightly) the engine. Best to do right before the oil change. There are many youtube videos showing the procedure. It looks like it will only apply to the EB engines as the 2.5 is listed on the Ford site as a port injected engine.

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And the CRC product seems to get the best results.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't know about you all but why Ford didn't add Port Injection to the 2.0 EB, during the design update a few years ago, is beyond me to understand.
Sponsored