Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus UX250h
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Original source: Heatmap
Reported by: Ford Authority

Mike Levin said: “There’s no current need for a PHEV. The Maverick Hybrid is incredibly efficient and affordable. The EPA estimates that Maverick Hybrid’s total annual fuel cost is just $1,500.”
Sponsored

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just want an AWD Hybrid!!!!!

Dmat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

it would probably cannibalize the f150 lightning sales or at least what little there is.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
PHEV aren't as efficient as we would think they "should" be.

I read an article breaking down the 3 different Toyota Rav4 vehicles- the regular, Hybrid, PHEV. Money-wise the PHEV was the worst of all of them, (by a few Thousand $$ over 5 years) when considering purchase price and gas money spent. PLUS the PHEV usually have to compromise storage space somewhere for that extra battery.

They said the hybrid was the best.

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
PHEV requires more battery for it to make sense. That may raise the Maverick cost to a point where Ford isn't intending to put it.

Deleted member 1483

I'm not a big fan of plug-in hybrid vehicles. I've noticed a lot of people on this forum asking whether a vehicle like the Maverick could benefit from a larger battery. While a bigger battery may seem like a good idea, it comes with some engineering trade-offs, like taking up more space and adding weight. I did some research on similar models with plug-in hybrids, like the Escape, and found that they only offer significant benefits if you take a lot of short trips and can recharge the battery frequently. Otherwise, they may perform similarly or worse than regular hybrids.

In my opinion, a battery only needs to be large enough to hold a charge from regenerative braking when the vehicle is decelerating from highway speeds. This is the most efficient use of the battery's power, and it doesn't require a bigger battery than what's already in place in most hybrid vehicles.

pbrox

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL Mav, 2005 Forester, 2007 R1200GS
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bummer, but that is probably the right call for a budget minded truck. Batteries would add thousands of dollars to price and put it in a different pricing segment (look at the price difference between an escape hybrid and an escape PHEV). Hopefully for upgrades in the future, they will come out with a hybrid AWD option; even though it would negatively affect fuel economy, I personally think that would be a popular option. Even with my limited budget, I would strongly consider adding AWD to an order.

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

PHEV aren't as efficient as we would think they "should" be.

I read an article breaking down the 3 different Toyota Rav4 vehicles- the regular, Hybrid, PHEV. Money-wise the PHEV was the worst of all of them, (by a few Thousand $$ over 5 years) when considering purchase price and gas money spent. PLUS the PHEV usually have to compromise storage space somewhere for that extra battery.

They said the hybrid was the best.
We have a 2023 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Ran on the same 14 gallon tank of fuel from 1st week in January to last week in April. We still had a half a tank. The car forced us to refuel when it went into burn stale fuel mode forcing the engine to run full time. Once fresh fuel was added it switched back to EV mode. No interior space was given up for the 20kwh battery as it sits in the frame rails. Its been a fantastic vehicle.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Mike Levin said: “There’s no current need for a PHEV. The Maverick Hybrid is incredibly efficient and affordable. The EPA estimates that Maverick Hybrid’s total annual fuel cost is just $1,500.”
I used $1057.10 gas and a PHEV 30 mile range could have lowered my gas by about $400.00 so I would break even in 5 years if PHEV was $2k more!

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I read this as:

Mike Levin said: “There is current need for an AWD PHEV. The 2wd Maverick Hybrid is incredibly efficient and affordable. The EPA estimates that Maverick Hybrid’s total annual fuel cost is just $1,500. Coming MY25!”

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have a 2023 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Ran on the same 14 gallon tank of fuel from 1st week in January to last week in April. We still had a half a tank. The car forced us to refuel when it went into burn stale fuel mode forcing the engine to run full time. Once fresh fuel was added back to EV mode. No interior space was given up for the 20kwh battery as it sits in the frame rails. Its been a fantastic vehicle.
A vote for a "tap to refill lawn mower or whatever inline" or just buy 1-2 gallons monthly or both.....

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrid is pretty good the way it is
I bought a C-Max Hybrid (HEV like the Maverick) instead of a C-Max Energi (PHEV) because I didn't want the work to have to remember to keep the Energi charged to get a measly 20 miles, AND lose the cargo space for the bigger battery AND have a larger expense when/if the battery gave out.

After having Hybrids for about 7 years now, I am perfectly content with HEV technology. I could use AWD, tho, and will trade in my Maverick if Ford adds it as an option. I wouldn't pay more than $500 to add PHEV, tho...so that's not gonna happen.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

it would probably cannibalize the f150 lightning sales or at least what little there is.
Completely different demographics and price points. A PHEV Maverick would start at no more than half the starting Lightning price.
Sponsored