First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The onboard mpg monitor in my F-150 is about 6% optimistic, did you think it would be programmed the other way.
That is my experience with the computer on my 2012 Ford Focus.
Sponsored

Tourguide

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't take it personally. There seems to be a lot of people here who want to interact on the forum like its facebook, spitting off random, poorly thought out tangents on a whim that serve primarily to bolster their own status by disparaging random strangers and groups.

Kind of makes me nostalgic for the good old days of the forum, pre-social media, where we just invoked Godwin's Law and moved on.
Thank you,Thank you, let’s keep focused people and just think 🧐 about that Maverick

Camlt12010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford Escape
Engine
Undecided
My current F-150 is a regular cab. It turns shorter and easier to park. Plus it turns more heads than any vehicle I have owned.
Glad to hear, but where I live you don't see many unless they are older ones.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I have an Escape Hybrid with the HF45 drivetrain, trading in a C-Max with the HF35 hybrid drivetrain. These comments are based on driving those cars.
... Ahhh what are the chances that anyone will drive an average of 29 MPH.
Pretty darn good. My drive to work was 15 miles, and it took a half hour. A dozen lights and 6 stop signs, with 35-40 mph speed limits through corn fields. This wasn't "city" driving.
How do I interpret 50 miles under electric.... That seems misleading?
I think their point, though, is that it it is always 100% originated from gas. ...
Here's a diagram to show your options, with some idea of the relative energy involved. The HVB is an energy buffer, a place to store excess energy from the fuel that's not needed for motion.
Ford Maverick 50 MPG in 50 Miles for Hybrid Maverick says Levine Energy Flow Diagram Escape

YES ALL ENERGY COMES FROM FUEL. The hybrid adds a battery buffer that allows the driver to store energy independent of terrain, and recall it at will.
Anyone have a good source/data on how much the ICE is generally used directly to charge the battery? I know it's dependent on the driving conditions, but I've just assumed it's pretty minimal in city driving.
Output of the charging motor can only be inferred. My Escape has no read-out that's directly tied to ICE power generation. My C-Max had a "regen miles" readout that showed braking gave me ~10% of the average 70% EV achieved. That tells me that the charging motor is responsible for most EV miles, not regen braking.

I've also tried flooring it, and was surprised to see EV went to 0... that's because "EV" on the dash is only HVB output. When EV went to 0 at low speed, it meant the car's in series mode, with ICE generating enough electricity to supply the traction motor at rated torque. Around 40 mph, traction motor torque starts to fall (by design), and ICE switches to parallel mode.
Everyone should keep in mind, the battery will never get to the point of depletion. I get the impression that some here think you start driving on the battery's power and when it is depleted, the ICE takes over. That is not how it works. The computer will not allow that. If the battery level gets low enough, the computer will turn on the ICE. A hybrid is not going to run on the battery alone the majority of time. It works in conjunction with the ICE.
Very well said!
Yeah. I guess the larger question is: when does it make sense to charge the battery with the ICE? ... I'd expect that it's pretty minimal.
And you'd be wrong. When the ICE is running, it's nearly always generating charge. The ability to add load to the ICE allows it to run in the high efficiency operating range nearly all the time, regardless road torque load.
The driver does not control when the battery gets charged. ...
True, but once you learn how the control system operates, you have the same control as, say, the automatic environmental controls. You'll learn how to drive it so the battery gets charged (eg. back off ICE power topping hills to give the HVB a little bump going into a downhill).
Yeah. I get the driver doesn't control what charges the battery. I was just interested in what research is out there about proportion of charge directly from the ICE vs regen.
No data from the Escape, but the C-Max had a regen readout, and it was >10% at low speed and >1% at highway speeds, where you rarely stop. The vast majority of EV power comes from ICE via the charging motor.

I see this on the highway, too. Keep ICE running at high speed, and the HVB fills up. With no need to charge, mileage rises, and the car goes into a "negative split" mode where the charging motor slows the ICE to reduce fuel use. ("Avg. MPG" is the tank average over ~400 miles.)
Ford Maverick 50 MPG in 50 Miles for Hybrid Maverick says Levine Negative split mode 20210927

Regularly hypermile in Kia Niroa & during warm weather months I average 56-58 mpg.
My "Top 10" C-Max tanks average 51.8 mpg. The Escape Hybrid is too new, so it's "Top 5" tanks average 51.2 mpg, but at lower %EV, 50% vs. 70%, so at higher speed. Sadly, C-Max did not have a "time" readout, so I can't say for sure.

Regardless, the Escape is a larger car with more ground clearance that is just as efficient at it's smaller hybrid predecessor. Maverick hybrids will likely have more drag, but it'll still beat the pants off the EcoBoost at any speed below ~85 mph.

Sponsored

Bill Cather

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have an Escape Hybrid with the HF45 drivetrain, trading in a C-Max with the HF35 hybrid drivetrain. These comments are based on driving those cars.

Pretty darn good. My drive to work was 15 miles, and it took a half hour. A dozen lights and 6 stop signs, with 35-40 mph speed limits through corn fields. This wasn't "city" driving.

Here's a diagram to show your options, with some idea of the relative energy involved. The HVB is an energy buffer, a place to store excess energy from the fuel that's not needed for motion.
Energy Flow Diagram Escape.jpg

YES ALL ENERGY COMES FROM FUEL. The hybrid adds a battery buffer that allows the driver to store energy independent of terrain, and recall it at will.

Output of the charging motor can only be inferred. My Escape has no read-out that's directly tied to ICE power generation. My C-Max had a "regen miles" readout that showed braking gave me ~10% of the average 70% EV achieved. That tells me that the charging motor is responsible for most EV miles, not regen braking.

I've also tried flooring it, and was surprised to see EV went to 0... that's because "EV" on the dash is only HVB output. When EV went to 0 at low speed, it meant the car's in series mode, with ICE generating enough electricity to supply the traction motor at rated torque. Around 40 mph, traction motor torque starts to fall (by design), and ICE switches to parallel mode.

Very well said!

And you'd be wrong. When the ICE is running, it's nearly always generating charge. The ability to add load to the ICE allows it to run in the high efficiency operating range nearly all the time, regardless road torque load.

True, but once you learn how the control system operates, you have the same control as, say, the automatic environmental controls. You'll learn how to drive it so the battery gets charged (eg. back off ICE power topping hills to give the HVB a little bump going into a downhill).

No data from the Escape, but the C-Max had a regen readout, and it was >10% at low speed and >1% at highway speeds, where you rarely stop. The vast majority of EV power comes from ICE via the charging motor.

I see this on the highway, too. Keep ICE running at high speed, and the HVB fills up. With no need to charge, mileage rises, and the car goes into a "negative split" mode where the charging motor slows the ICE to reduce fuel use. ("Avg. MPG" is the tank average over ~400 miles.)
Negative split mode 20210927.jpg

My "Top 10" C-Max tanks average 51.8 mpg. The Escape Hybrid is too new, so it's "Top 5" tanks average 51.2 mpg, but at lower %EV, 50% vs. 70%, so at higher speed. Sadly, C-Max did not have a "time" readout, so I can't say for sure.

Regardless, the Escape is a larger car with more ground clearance that is just as efficient at it's smaller hybrid predecessor. Maverick hybrids will likely have more drag, but it'll still beat the pants off the EcoBoost at any speed below ~85 mph.
Damn, I was only attempting a little Sarcasm…. But I appreciate your passion

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is all thought provoking. Sounds like a terrific system to me. I don't care if the engine spools up while driving at higher speeds. The engine doesn't need to be direct connect to my wheels. I'm looking forward to having power at all ranges without gear hunting and torque holes between those gears. I can't wait for my Silver XLT!

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Energy Flow Diagram Escape.jpg

Very well said!

Negative split mode 20210927.jpg

Agree, bigly!!

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
Mike Levine drove 50 mi
I don't recall entering that, but it wouldn't be the first time I did something without remembering.

I would like my Maverick ASAP. My current Ford focus is still holding on, but I just had to get new battery and AC blower... Don't want to keep putting money into it.

That being said, as long as I can get good value for my current car without it going bad before, I'll be happy whenever.
I've always found the computer in my Ford optimistic. That being said, makes the claimed 40 city seem very likely.
Computer read out very generous. Just believe and repeat to yourself 34 mpg highway , 42 mpg city and 37 mpg combined.
les in Nashville and got 50mpg. I think hybrid owners will be very happy.
Mike Levine drove 50 miles in Nashville and got 50mpg. I think hybrid owners will be very happy.

SmartSelect_20210926-122427_Twitter.jpg
Computer very generous. Just repeat to yourself 34mpg highway, 42 mpg city, 37 mpg combined.
Sponsored