Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Marvick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Updated with official NHTSA recall bulletin:

Ford Maverick New Maverick Recall - pinched fuel tank joint (affects 271 units, production dates January 19-26, 2024) 1710281041351-d4

Saw this story on a recall for 2024s. A pinched fuel tank joint. Seems to be a pretty small recall and most likely Hybrids, but the article wasn't sure.

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/03/ford-maverick-trucks-recalled-over-fuel-tank-leak/

Ford is recalling some 2024MY Maverick trucks. Though the automaker says it has received no reports of gas leaking from customer vehicles, a leak was detected on one 2024 Maverick at Ford’s Hermosillo Assembly Plant in Mexico and that was enough to trigger a full investigation.

The problem was traced to an open pinch joint caused by a manufacturer defect. A power outage at the facility where the tanks are made resulted in a misalignment of the tank mold and the extruded sheets used to make the tanks. Ford first noticed the issue on February 6, then issued an order to prevent trucks potentially fitted with the faulty tanks from being sent to dealers. And now it’s recalling those which may have received the duff tanks before the issue was spotted.

t’s not a big recall, and certainly not the kind of thing that’s going to cause a scheduling headache for your local Ford service department. Only Mavericks built between January 19 and January 26 of this year are affected, the total coming to 217 trucks.

Owners will be contacted from March 18 and invited to make an appointment at their dealer to have the tank replaced. While they’re waiting for that repair, they’re being advised to shut off their engines as quickly as possible if they get a check engine light on the dash, smell gasoline, or notice it pooling on the ground.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TacoTanium

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The affected production dates were Jan 19-26, 2024. Luckily mine just fell a week after that. Thank goodness, mine already started showing symptoms of other problems, don't need another fuel tank problem.

NedF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was a '23 now a '24 Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
“…assembled in the period between January 19, 2024 and January 26, 2024…” a small number and thankfully mine was assembled after it was discovered and I assume corrected! Delivery of mine is finally getting close!

TFLB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 F150, 05 Mustang, 24 Ordered Mav XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmmm mine went into assembly on the 16th

RG Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 XLT Lux Azure Grey Metallic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like those assembled in a one week window in January.

Sponsored

Milton Jeff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2 DR Wrangler (Current)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The affected production dates were Jan 19-26, 2024. Luckily mine just fell a week after that. Thank goodness, mine already started showing symptoms of other problems, don't need another fuel tank problem.
What other issues? It is barely 5 weeks old....

Archivist Engineer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, after waiting 21 months since putting down my deposit, having my order roll over to MY24 and losing several features, paying several hundred dollars more than the original quote, and having the delivery date pushed back twice, I'll (maybe) finally take delivery on my Maverick next week just in time to spend the next six to twelve months waiting for it to catch on fire and burn itself and my house down? At this point, it isn't even a tragedy anymore, it's an incredibly dark comedy.

I've checked my VIN on the NHTSA website, it's definitely part of the recall. Ford is saying they won't even have the parts available until 4th quarter of 2024.

Hopefully my insurance doesn't rerun the VIN when I go to switch it over. I can only imagine what that would do to the premiums when the recall is essentially "Your vehicle may burst into flames at any time without warning and we're not in any particular hurry to correct that issue.

Ford Maverick New Maverick Recall - pinched fuel tank joint (affects 271 units, production dates January 19-26, 2024) Recall

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This probably explains why my build got delayed for a couple of weeks. I was originally scheduled to be built within the week of Jan. 15 which is right in line with this new recall. I wouldn't get a "built" confirmation until Feb. 1 and when I checked my order tracker, it said that it was built on Jan. 31 and shipped the next day as oppose to sometime during the week of Jan. 15. So what probably happened was they discovered the pinch weld issue early on and prevented/delayed further Mavericks from getting the misaligned welding done to the tanks. Of course, the updated email disguised the issue as "supply constraints"

It could all be speculation but I'm pretty sure this explained my delay.

Sponsored

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A fix in the 4TH QUARTER, 2024? Damn, sparky...that's a long time for this serious issue for those 217 unlucky folks.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A fix in the 4TH QUARTER, 2024? Damn, sparky...that's a long time for this serious issue for those 217 unlucky folks.
It's only fire... Mavericks are like the pyro kid we need to keep taking the lighter away from knowing full well they are going to 7-11 anyways and going to get a free pack of matches.

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No recalls on my VIN.....oh wait they havent built it yet 😫

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is this hybrid or eco or both ? Just curious more or less.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

From my abysmal experience with the airbag recall where they both damaged my interior and left key parts off, I can only imagine how well these piecemeal fixes will be done by dealers. Good luck!
Sponsored