Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick EB Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don't get how a company will take orders on a product that they know they cannot provide even if you order 13 months in advance, and then say you have to reorder that product 12 months later at a higher price if you still want it. However, no guarantee the exact same thing won't happen again.

One would think they would have limited orders on said product, and then open up the ordering again later in the model year if they can build more than originally thought.

Maybe instead of focusing on DEI training, their management should visit the Japanese or Korean automakers and see how they run an automobile company.

I completely agree with your thoughts on this, but my biggest thing grinding my gears is this dealership allocation system. For custom orders, I feel that they should make their own system of priority and time stamp or whatever to figure out whos gets built in what order, but they will get built no matter how big or small of a dealership you bought it from nor how many allocations they get.

This biggest issue that bugs me is this... lets say they only sold 50k custom ordered Mavericks, but are going to be able to build 100k in the year... there is a high chance I wont get my vehicle built if I purchased it at a dealer who does not get many allocations and had a bunch of people out of the blue place an order for the Maverick because it was such a hit. Unless Ford bypasses the allocation system to get the vehicles built to the ones who ordered it because they have the parts, etc... if dealership A gets 1 a month and had 15 people order...the year is sold out plus some. But yet Ford can build all of them plus others, but you just happened to go to the wrong dealership that used up all of their allocations already.
Sponsored

anblatt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Nissan Kicks SV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I know they said there would be no price protection, but did they also say "no rollovers"? Seems silly and counter-productive, not to mention really bad for PR.

Oh - wait... That IS probably their intention, after all... That left foot is almost healed up, so it's time to shoot the other foot!
Ford Maverick Model Year 2023 Maverick will end October 14 1679493242724

They said no intention of providing a transition offer. So we just get in line and re-order with all the new model year orders for 24.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I guess the critical point I missed before was the "customers who do not get their 23MY Maverick retail order built and need to re-order a 24MY..."

Guess Ford really DOES like shooting themselves in the foot...

HotJombalya

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jombee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Ranger Edge, 2022 Mitsubishi Outlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't get how a company will take orders on a product that they know they cannot provide even if you order 13 months in advance, and then say you have to reorder that product 12 months later at a higher price if you still want it. However, no guarantee the exact same thing won't happen again.

One would think they would have limited orders on said product, and then open up the ordering again later in the model year if they can build more than originally thought.

Maybe instead of focusing on DEI training, their management should visit the Japanese or Korean automakers and see how they run an automobile company.
pure idiocy

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If I knew they were adding Eruption Green for sure I'd walk away from my '23 order in a heartbeat. Price increase be damned.
So would I. Wait a whole year again for just a color. LOL.

Sponsored

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think every new model year a car company wants people to enter the "lottery" to get the new model instead of just recycling old orders. I understand those with the old orders don't like it but Ford (or any company) wants to get new people into the showrooms- maybe they order or maybe they buy something else. Again you don't have to like it but it is pretty standard business.

With costs rising and a slim profit margin it is amazing Ford price protected orders at all.

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sooner or later the competition will offer something similar in size, price and performance to the Mav. I don't really care about model year as long as whatever hybrid I receive can still be flat towed. Ford pretty much as our retirement plans on hold until the RV manufacturer can get enough Ford Transit 3500 cutaway chassis and of course the Mav as our tow behind.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

1679493242724.png

They said no intention of providing a transition offer. So we just get in line and re-order with all the new model year orders for 24.
Well if Ford increases the Hybrid production when the 3rd shift comes live as a Ford rep said, there may not be many Hybrid trucks not built at the end of the model year. An additional 80,000 vehicles on the Maverick/Bronco Sport line will have a big impact. It's not like the need more BS production, the lots are full of sports.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An additional 80,000 vehicles on the Maverick/Bronco Sport line will have a big impact.
Ford did not make it clear but I would assume the 80K is the increase in annual plant production. But there will only be about 3 months left of 23 production when the 3rd shift comes on.

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is no way to build custom orders FIFO because supplies vary throughout the year. Get over that the process should be different, it isn't just a Ford thing.

Allocations try to balance out small dealers and large dealers getting cars they can sell.

The Maverick is a special situation along with Lightning and Bronco of too many orders (exacerbated by some ordering 2 or 3 or 4 then only taking one) without knowing before orders start exactly how many will be ordered. They will balance out in a year or two to a normal process of being able to order throughout the year.

An estimated 75,000 were built for MY22. Reports of 86,000 orders for MY23 were made in September, not sure if that included any fleet orders. About 22,000 were built Dec, Jan, and Feb. With July production increase planned it will depend on the split between Maverick and BS but the final MY23 number of 100,000 seems reasonable. MY24 could go to 150,000 with the full 3 shifts depending on Maverick and BS split. There is no idea yet if a higher percentage of hybrids will be built if the battery system and eCVT remains hard to source.

Sponsored

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So would I. Wait a whole year again for just a color. LOL.
I liked the color a lot. Then my Bronco Sport that I ordered in green arrived and I like it even more. I was really disappointed that it wasn't an option on the Maverick when I ordered.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford did not make it clear but I would assume the 80K is the increase in annual plant production. But there will only be about 3 months left of 23 production when the 3rd shift comes on.
That's still 20,000 more Mavericks potentially built in those 3 months than the average quarter now. With EB orders done by then, They could potentially pump out 45K Hybrids in those 3 months (if no more EB orders taken), if the parts are available. That's half of the total 23 Orders taken. Now if only the planets will align.......

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is no way to build custom orders FIFO because supplies vary throughout the year. Get over that the process should be different, it isn't just a Ford thing.

Allocations try to balance out small dealers and large dealers getting cars they can sell.

The Maverick is a special situation along with Lightning and Bronco of too many orders (exacerbated by some ordering 2 or 3 or 4 then only taking one) without knowing before orders start exactly how many will be ordered. They will balance out in a year or two to a normal process of being able to order throughout the year.

An estimated 75,000 were built for MY22. Reports of 86,000 orders for MY23 were made in September, not sure if that included any fleet orders. About 22,000 were built Dec, Jan, and Feb. With July production increase planned it will depend on the split between Maverick and BS but the final MY23 number of 100,000 seems reasonable. MY24 could go to 150,000 with the full 3 shifts depending on Maverick and BS split. There is no idea yet if a higher percentage of hybrids will be built if the battery system and eCVT remains hard to source.
Your numbers are bit off. Total 22 model year production was around 108,000. You can get that either by taking the highest 22 VIN ~115,100 and subtracting the 6900 22 VINs that were assigned but then rolled over to 23. Or you can get to it by adding the monthly Ford production totals.
Ford Maverick Model Year 2023 Maverick will end October 14 1679499649064

There seem to be around 103,000 23 Maverick orders
Ford Maverick Model Year 2023 Maverick will end October 14 1679499259705

Ford needed 18 months to produce the 22 Mavericks due to production ramp and constraints.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm wondering if it's too soon to hope for a midcycle refresh with the 24 model year. Maybe a year too soon. IIRC, OEMs typically do a cosmetic refresh around 2-3 years after a model is released. Not sure Ford feels a need to do that, since the Maverick is such a hot seller. I sure hope they do, as I'd like to see a newer Sync and a bigger screen. Maybe a better version of CP360? And I personally (being an old fart) would pay real money if they added Blue Cruise.
Sponsored