Sponsored

Dealer claims that 2023 Hybrid orders just placed will not be filled this model year

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Everyone's said the same thing. So you are one of the estimated 86k early orders...

Don't read too much into the wording of the form email.
Interesting. I suspected as much, but thanks for the confirmation.
Sponsored

gmanview

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Everyone's said the same thing. So you are one of the estimated 86k early orders...

Don't read too much into the wording of the form email.
Yes. I thought it may be just a mail merge email. When I pre-ordered at the dealer I think I put down a deposit and COVP’d and signed a preview order earlier than my dealers other customers.

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When I received my confirmation from Alford it stated I was one of the early orders.
1665301266616.png
I had the same wording on my Bronco Sport order that I made five days after ordering the Maverick. I think the Bronco Sport orders opened up like six weeks before I ordered so I was definitely not one of the early ones.

gmanview

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had the same wording on my Bronco Sport order that I made five days after ordering the Maverick. I think the Bronco Sport orders opened up like six weeks before I ordered so I was definitely not one of the early ones.
I thought it was just a generic message. Thanks for confirming it for me.

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought it was just a generic message. Thanks for confirming it for me.
I wondered the same thing when I made my Maverick order on the 16th. I thought maybe it actually meant that since it was early. Went back in the 21st and ordered the Bronco and when it had the same wording I was like "well shit...".

Sponsored

gmanview

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wondered the same thing when I made my Maverick order on the 16th. I thought maybe it actually meant that since it was early. Went back in the 21st and ordered the Bronco and when it had the same wording I was like "well shit...".
Lol

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a second theory on this. Ford wants to fill all these orders even if the current numbers says they can't. Ford can take their 55,900 (65% of 86,000) hybrid orders to their parts suppliers and say, "unstoppable cash flow."

We know computer chips have been the shortfall of late, but both Samsung and AMD announced sales drops on sagging chip demand. Ford can now walk into the office of the chip foundry and point to their overflowing order books and show them there is a stable demand as compared to the PC/mobile market. Even if Ford's chips are likely less profitable, a lot of businesses will take predictable less profitable over unpredictable more profitable any day. The former is easier to pay bills with.

Still, Ford had to draw the line on the number of orders somewhere but I wonder if there was a "for sure" line and an "in theory" line and orders hit both of them quicker than Ford anticipated.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They did send an email notifying about the unexpected high demand and that they would close the orders by "early to mid next week", so it seems they had some good idea a few days in advance, still they chose to wait until Tuesday for some reason.
I think that before orders opened Ford had said that they would give dealers at least one weeks notice when orders were to not be taken. So it took some time for approval to close ordering earlier than that promised time span. Perhaps nobody thought that dealers would have "preorders" already booked ready for entry. Also how many preorders had been submitted for husband, wife, both sets parents, maybe one or two kids? With the vehicle market they way it is today I don't know what would be a way to equitably distribute orders. They could say "The first 100,000 that order will be it" but think of the panic at the dealerships!

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a second theory on this. Ford wants to fill all these orders even if the current numbers says they can't. Ford can take their 55,900 (65% of 86,000) hybrid orders to their parts suppliers and say, "unstoppable cash flow."

We know computer chips have been the shortfall of late, but both Samsung and AMD announced sales drops on sagging chip demand. Ford can now walk into the office of the chip foundry and point to their overflowing order books and show them there is a stable demand as compared to the PC/mobile market. Even if Ford's chips are likely less profitable, a lot of businesses will take predictable less profitable over unpredictable more profitable any day. The former is easier to pay bills with.

Still, Ford had to draw the line on the number of orders somewhere but I wonder if there was a "for sure" line and an "in theory" line and orders hit both of them quicker than Ford anticipated.
Not sure why... but the chip shortage does seem to impact certain manufacturers worst than others. I presume it depends in the individual suppliers. Below snippet is from late August:

BMW (BMWYY) and Mercedes-Benz (DDAIF) currently report no significant supply issues related to automotive chips. Volvo says it's back to full supply. Nissan (NSANY) sees a recovery in the next few months. Hyundai and Volkswagen (VWAGY) say chip shortages are easing.

However, other automakers continue to face chip shortages. Honda Motor (HMC) says its production outlook is uncertain due to shortages. Ford Motor (F) says chip shortages are still an issue. Toyota Motor (TM) sees shortages lasting at least through the third quarter this year, while General Motors (GM) expects the shortage impact to last into 2023.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure why... but the chip shortage does seem to impact certain manufacturers worst than others. I presume it depends in the individual suppliers.
Well, it's more than just a chip shortage for manufacturers. If you're either not building hybrids or you already have enough batteries stockpiled or sourced, then that is one less additional constraint. The same for other things, even things as mundane as emblems.

Ford (as far as I remember) specifically called out both batteries and emblems as being constraints, in addition to chips.

Sponsored

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not sure why... but the chip shortage does seem to impact certain manufacturers worst than others. I presume it depends in the individual suppliers. Below snippet is from late August:

BMW (BMWYY) and Mercedes-Benz (DDAIF) currently report no significant supply issues related to automotive chips. Volvo says it's back to full supply. Nissan (NSANY) sees a recovery in the next few months. Hyundai and Volkswagen (VWAGY) say chip shortages are easing.

However, other automakers continue to face chip shortages. Honda Motor (HMC) says its production outlook is uncertain due to shortages. Ford Motor (F) says chip shortages are still an issue. Toyota Motor (TM) sees shortages lasting at least through the third quarter this year, while General Motors (GM) expects the shortage impact to last into 2023.
The common denominator is the ones mostly produced by US companies/USA produced have the most severe problems.

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, it's more than just a chip shortage for manufacturers. If you're either not building hybrids or you already have enough batteries stockpiled or sourced, then that is one less additional constraint. The same for other things, even things as mundane as emblems.

Ford (as far as I remember) specifically called out both batteries and emblems as being constraints, in addition to chips.
If it were only batteries then ecoboost mavericks could be built and delivered in under 4 months. Its more than that. And if thats the case, i will go out and buy a sportage hybrid and forget the maverick. They are readily available.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it were only batteries then ecoboost mavericks could be built and delivered in under 4 months. Its more than that.
I did address that, when I talked about it being multiple constraints. Did we not read the same topic?

There could easily be other constraints, things change day by day, and Ford is under no obligation to tell us what every single constraint is every single day. To do so would just slow them down for no good reason, and it wouldn't be useful information to customers.

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did address that, when I talked about it being multiple constraints. Did we not read the same topic?

There could easily be other constraints, things change day by day, and Ford is under no obligation to tell us what every single constraint is every single day. To do so would just slow them down for no good reason, and it wouldn't be useful information to customers.
I don’t know. I quoted an article showing other manufacturers dont have chip problems, but Ford does. So its a ford problem and not an “industry” problem.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t know. I quoted an article showing other manufacturers dont have chip problems, but Ford does. So its a ford problem and not an “industry” problem.
The comment you posted literally said that Ford, GM, Toyota and Honda were all experiencing chip shortages of some level.

"However, other automakers continue to face chip shortages. Honda Motor (HMC) says its production outlook is uncertain due to shortages. Ford Motor (F) says chip shortages are still an issue. Toyota Motor (TM) sees shortages lasting at least through the third quarter this year, while General Motors (GM) expects the shortage impact to last into 2023."
Sponsored