Sponsored

Maverick Steering Issues - Bad Sound

Beau

2.0L EcoBoost
Active member
First Name
Tom
Joined
Sep 19, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
41
Reaction score
160
Location
MD
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, 2011 Mustang V6 Convertible
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
To me it sounds like the steering wheel is rubbing on the cover of the switch controllers. Temperature causes the rubbing to start and stop, just like windshield trim.
Sponsored

 

Darryl

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Darryl
Joined
May 9, 2025
Threads
13
Messages
1,629
Reaction score
3,647
Location
Tallahassee Florida
Vehicle(s)
2025 Maverick XLT HYBRID
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs
 
To me it sounds like the steering wheel is rubbing on the cover of the switch controllers. Temperature causes the rubbing to start and stop, just like windshield trim.
While you may be correct, it shouldn't be up to the customer to figure it out. As Employees at a dealership, we simply expect the customer to describe the concern and conditions it occurs under if I own. And if possible perhaps demonstrate the problem in action if we can't get it to happen ourselves. Of course the customer is free to tell us what they think may be the cause. But they shouldn't be expected to do so . Based on what this customer has stated, at best this is a serious communication issue. At worse the dealership is behaving like incompetent folks who don't care about their customers. Once he speaks to the General manager (or whomever is the top contact at the dealership, he should IMMEDIATELY get Ford itself involved.
 

710-oil-614

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Cal
Joined
Oct 13, 2021
Threads
27
Messages
6,265
Reaction score
12,397
Location
Ohio...but I'd rather be in Boone.
Vehicle(s)
2025 Hybrid AWD Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They rode along and heard it. Not sure why after a week they're saying it's not "persistent" enough 🤣. Seriously? It affects the steering as well. Getting dangerous.
You mentioned previously it doesn't appear to impact steering. So it is getting worse? It'll likely let go soon if that's the case.
 

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Rough
Joined
Jan 9, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
690
Reaction score
837
Location
Torrance, CA 90503
Vehicle(s)
Down to just the Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you could get someone to turn the wheel while you walk around outside and listen, you might be able to discern whether the sound is from inside (power assist) or outside (ball joint, etc). That creaking sounds like the latter, but you never know. VERY frustrating...
 

Sponsored

Glen Baker LLC

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2024
Threads
32
Messages
8,718
Reaction score
15,870
Location
Central Nevada & Utah
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
🤔 Why should the OP do this?
Their Maverick is a 2026 under warranty.
 
Last edited:

ejouie

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Evan
Joined
Sep 21, 2022
Threads
10
Messages
400
Reaction score
504
Location
Newnan, GA
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Maverick, Atlas Blue, FWD, EcoBoost, XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
The EPS in the Maverick is column assisted. The motor is part of the steering column via a worm gear. Sounds like something is wrong in that area. Could be the motor overheating. Could be a lack of grease. Could be both. I would try to take off the plastic cover and expose the column and see if that helps pinpoint the sound. It also could reveal the overheating if it's getting really hot.

Failing power steering is taken very seriously by the OEMs. It's a system that could result in a very expensive recall if widespread and only get more expensive as time goes on. At the very least, the OEM will want to document the failure and get reimbursed for the warranty repair from the supplier.

This is coming from personal experience as a production engineer for a tier 1 supplier of belt driven REPS with Rivian, Canoo, GM, Dodge, Ford, Tesla as customers.
 

KO Stradivarius

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
May 3, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
196
Reaction score
366
Location
The Disputed Lands
Vehicle(s)
'25 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hope we do hear back from the OP about what happened. He last posted on Sat (5 days ago) and on Friday he said it was being serviced.

So it's either done being serviced by now, or else it is still a fiasco and he's going toe-to-toe with The Man. We are "waiting with bated breath".
 
Last edited:

REDRUM

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Jan 28, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
202
Reaction score
481
Location
Central Jersey
Vehicle(s)
2025 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Call Ford. Get them involved.
I did that when my escape needed a new rack and pinion
My dealer said 5 weeks for an appointment. Car was not drivable. Ford found me another dealer who could take it the next week.
 
Sponsored

krock666

2.0L EcoBoost
Member
First Name
ken
Joined
Jul 9, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
17
Reaction score
16
Location
New Jersey
Vehicle(s)
2025 lobo, 2016 Focus ST, 2001 jeep cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
Anyone have any idea what this is? My brand new 2026 Maverick has been making this sound since second month of ownership, less than 600 miles. Can anyone help identify the issue? See the video here:

My dealer service is saying they can’t find the issue. It’s defeaning and embarrassing. Sounds horrible. Happens pretty much every drive now above 30 minutes +-. Occurs while driving and while parked and will sometimes last for days. Occasionally it will disappear if parked overnight, but will reemerge after driving for approximately 30 minutes especially on highway. Perhaps this is why my dealer doesn’t hear it when they let it sit parked for days and then just throw it on the lift to look. They’re apparently not driving it.
I’m having the same issue on a 25 lobo. Have you had this resolved and if so what was the fix? I’m lowered and can almost guarantee they will deny a warranty claim, so I’m just curious if you figured it out.
 
OP
OP
Mr. Twister

Mr. Twister

2.5L Hybrid
Member
First Name
Twister Man
Joined
Mar 16, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
20
Reaction score
21
Location
America southeast
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello all,

I was literally at the dealership when I saw your reply come through. I was driving the day prior and heard a really bad rattling that sounded like something broke loose.
Ford service just told me a strut bolt came COMPLETELY OFF! I could have friggin died! They said it was a “strut bolt” but it sounded near the steering again. Tell me how a bolt came completely loose on a new car they literally had in the shop for two months to fix my steering issue which they said was —-“bad struts.” I don’t believe it at this point.
I just saw today where Ford ordered an immediate DO NOT DRIVE on Mavericks for ball joint failure which to me sounds like what REALLY happened. I’m trying to ascertain the truth at present. I didn’t get a letter on the recall and Ford service didn't mention one my because VIN wasn’t affected. But I suspect my VIN and others should have been included. I just opened a ticket with Ford on the phone right now. They told me not to drive it. It’s a nightmare and there seems to be more here underlying with these Mavericks. Wait until you hear the video of this gat dang “bolt” rattling and catching! The metal on metal grinding and clanking was shocking and I could tell something had completely broke loose and wasn’t attached anymore. I thought my wheels were going to lock up. It was terrifying! WTF!!!!
See here: https://www.fromtheroad.ford.com/us...sory-21-26-bronco-sport-and-maverick-vehicles

 

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Craig
Joined
Dec 5, 2021
Threads
39
Messages
3,994
Reaction score
6,535
Location
Alabama
Vehicle(s)
11 F150 Lariat, 24 Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello all,

I was literally at the dealership when I saw your reply come through. I was driving the day prior and heard a really bad rattling that sounded like something broke loose.
Ford service just told me a strut bolt came COMPLETELY OFF! I could have friggin died! They said it was a “strut bolt” but it sounded near the steering again. Tell me how a bolt came completely loose on a new car they literally had in the shop for two months to fix my steering issue which they said was —-“bad struts.” I don’t believe it at this point.
I just saw today where Ford ordered an immediate DO NOT DRIVE on Mavericks for ball joint failure which to me sounds like what REALLY happened. I’m trying to ascertain the truth at present. I didn’t get a letter on the recall and Ford service didn't mention one my because VIN wasn’t affected. But I suspect my VIN and others should have been included. I just opened a ticket with Ford on the phone right now. They told me not to drive it. It’s a nightmare and there seems to be more here underlying with these Mavericks. Wait until you hear the video of this gat dang “bolt” rattling and catching! The metal on metal grinding and clanking was shocking and I could tell something had completely broke loose and wasn’t attached anymore. I thought my wheels were going to lock up. It was terrifying! WTF!!!!
See here: https://www.fromtheroad.ford.com/us...sory-21-26-bronco-sport-and-maverick-vehicles

My Lord :whew: with less than 10K miles and 2 months in the shop, I know what I'd be telling Ford and your Dealer todo.
 
OP
OP
Mr. Twister

Mr. Twister

2.5L Hybrid
Member
First Name
Twister Man
Joined
Mar 16, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
20
Reaction score
21
Location
America southeast
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Take it back… do - do - do - dooooo- take it baaaaaaaack!

That’s the new Ford commercial promo song, right?
 
OP
OP
Mr. Twister

Mr. Twister

2.5L Hybrid
Member
First Name
Twister Man
Joined
Mar 16, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
20
Reaction score
21
Location
America southeast
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Lord :whew: with less than 10K miles and 2 months in the shop, I know what I'd be telling Ford and your Dealer todo.
Sponsored

 
 







Top