Sponsored

Maverick or Tacoma

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
At $36k you are at the Ranger and Frontier prices. Tacoma seating is funky for me, but has a good history. You have options, and I suggest you drive them all and see what is best for YOU!
Sponsored

Ricstar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I currently drive a 03 Tundra and will turn it over 200k within the next month. Fantastic truck. For me my Mav is costing my 26k built the way I want. If I could get a Tacoma for the same price I think I would go with the Tacoma. But the Tacoma with the same features would run me 40k. The Mav fits my needs great as a Realtor. I have very small towing needs, but need a bed for my signs, plus the hybrid MPG is great as 90% of my driving will be city/rural. For longer trips we use my wife's 3 row explorer. LOL three daughter's 22,16 and 10, need the space.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
See lots of get the Tacoma posts in here! Coming from a 2019 ranger to the Maverick, and reading your post, I think you should just buy the mav.

The mav is a stout, practical SUV with a bed. I love it. I wouldn't go back to a larger truck unless I needed to tow something substantial. The ride and handling are so much better. The interior is more comfortable. Better mpg. Easy in and out. Better pickup and go!

In this market, just buy it. Give it 90 days and if you don't like it, selling to carvana or CarMax you'll probably pocket a couple grand for your trouble. At worst you'll break even. And you know you have a set discounted price waiting if you go this route as well, win all around.

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
Maverick does feel modern but 'cheap' inside because it's made from budget bits for a budget market. It's comfortable enough, but idk how durable it will prove to be inside and out. Generally, I'd say it's still worth getting over the tacoma since it doesn't sound like you plan on using it to do much 'truck stuff'. AWD is better suited to casual drivers, too, imo.

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
If i was looking for a "truck" it would be Tacoma all the way. It looks way better than the maverick. But i dont need a truck i need a fuel efficiency car with sun roof, heated seats, cruise control and the maverick fits this in my price range.. There are actually some nice hatchbacks i was looking at but they dont have sun roofs as even top of the line option..​
The maverick is not bad looking its not awesome like the Tacoma.. So for commuter car maverick, for truck Tacoma.​

Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The two vehicles aren't remotely comparable. As someone who has a 2010 Tacoma (they haven't changed in principal) I can tell you the Tacoma (even my 2010) has nicer interior bits than the Maverick but that is where the comparison stops.

Ladder frame, v6, 4wd, awful gas mileage vs. unibody, EB, AWD.

I would suggest you drive both and choose the one you want - not try to compare both to see which one is "better" because they are both vastly different vehicles.

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I vote for the Tacoma in your case.
I would vote Tacoma too. I do think build quality is superior to the Maverick. The only second thought is how much you will drive, the fuel millage of the Maverick will be about double to the Toyota.

on a side note, i wish I had gone with the steel wheels and purchased my own aftermarket wheels with the more aggressive tires afterward. you could find much better qty and have a lower price.

good luck

AUTUS_FL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK XLT HYBRD;2021 HONDA REBEL 1100
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I leased a 2019 taco terd (Toyota TRD) and returned it in you years.

its dainty for sure.
With your thumb you can dent the fenders. Its trany was under geared always had run it in extra pwr mode. Wobbly steering and it would slip straight to 6th gear and herky jurky nonsense every time in an slightest incline. 17mpg street 23 fwy at best. Back up seniors sucked at sensing anything that came to a point.

Its electronics was soso no car play on those but they have it now.

Its an over rated truck
Also a bs service warranty that wants your truck in every 6k but wonā€™t change your oil till every 12k miles and still say they are giving you 4 services Total Ripoff this is a Toyota thing and the service center canā€™t do it any other way.
Well said and very accurate description of all the major issues on the Tacoma, thank you. Glad that we now have more options in hands so we may distance ourselves from Toyota. It is so bad that once, I had the truck towed because the rear brake drum locked itself up. The reason: from washing my truck....

Barefootdan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y
Iā€™ll make your choice difficult and vote Maverick šŸ˜‚ itā€™s so practical. I donā€™t think itā€™s only selling points are MPG and price. There is definitely more to this truck. Ride quality is going to much better than the Tacoma. Size is easier to drive, park, and maneuver. Features are more in line with a 2022 vehicle than Toyota. I mean cmon Toyota, no auto headlights?! Looks are subjective but whenever I see a Tacoma, itā€™s all already been done. Very few stand out in the crowd. Hard to argue the reliability and depreciation of the Tacoma, itā€™s guaranteed to last you as long as you want. But it comes at the cost of a poo poo motor (driving characteristics, not longevity) paired to a slushy diarrhea transmission. I didnā€™t pick the Tacoma not because it was more expensive but the overall package just isnā€™t there for me. It definitely fits alot of peoples bill so it must be good, just not for everyone.

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also, I really don't have much need for off-road but I do want 4 or all wheel drive. I ordered my Maverick with the fx4 because I want the black wheels. I plan on having this next vehicle for a long while. I want to get what I want. I'm just not sure If what I want is what I want. šŸ˜†
Hmm. This sounds like the "I know that you know, that I know that YOU know, that I...well, you know" argument. :cool:

As an aside, I've hemmed and hawed about getting a Tacoma SR 2.7L as well. A basic 4 door, 4-banger is going to run upwards of $29-$33K for a rear-wheel drive, no fancy crap. I'm a tad bit thrifty in this low-wage, Covid-ridden era we're experiencing, so I'm sticking with the Maverick unless Toyota wants to throw me a Hail Mary pass rather than bend me over in the clover. Savages.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tacoma has something no other truck has, availability of a manual transmission. Even in upper trims. If it weren't for horrible fuel economy, the Taco would be more desirable to drive.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iā€™ll make your choice difficult and vote Maverick šŸ˜‚ itā€™s so practical. I donā€™t think itā€™s only selling points are MPG and price. There is definitely more to this truck. Ride quality is going to much better than the Tacoma. Size is easier to drive, park, and maneuver. Features are more in line with a 2022 vehicle than Toyota. I mean cmon Toyota, no auto headlights?! Looks are subjective but whenever I see a Tacoma, itā€™s all already been done. Very few stand out in the crowd. Hard to argue the reliability and depreciation of the Tacoma, itā€™s guaranteed to last you as long as you want. But it comes at the cost of a poo poo motor (driving characteristics, not longevity) paired to a slushy diarrhea transmission. I didnā€™t pick the Tacoma not because it was more expensive but the overall package just isnā€™t there for me. It definitely fits alot of peoples bill so it must be good, just not for everyone.
Have driven a lot of Tacomas and they corner and handle as good as any vehicle I've ever driven...was headed for a Tacoma when first heard about the Maverick but what I do not like about the Taco is the big wide size, and getting bigger....they feel like they barely fit in the lane of some of my local residential streets. No doubt superior quality, and you feel it when you drive a Tacoma.

Last edited:

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Little research shows your truck has shipped right? Delivery seems to have been held up, but I would suggest driving it and seeing. Funny all the talk about truck interiorsā€¦for me if I could clean it with a hose I would, but it seems you are very close to being able to compare it to a Tacoma and see. If with the discount you get the Tacoma better fits your needs, Tacoma it is.
Good advice - another thought: You are NOT comparing an "apple to apple"... sort of. It is like being in the military and putting in a requisition for a Bradley fighting machine - they write back and tell you a M1 Tank is available NOW and with a small hit to your Divisions budget. {forgive me Military folks - that's the best I could come up with!}:p

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have both, they are completely different vehicles and Tacoma sticker was $10k higher. If I had to keep just 1 for the long haul it would be the Tacoma.
trucks.jpg
That picture says a lot! I had thought the Tacoma to be much larger than the Marerick... hmmmm
Sponsored