First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had 2004 and 2014 Tacoma's both great trucks but the Maverick ride quality and handling is superior to the Tacoma. Gas mileage was 20-21 with both trucks. I almost brought another Tacoma but after getting the Maverick glad I didn't.
Sponsored

LongshotXL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
That picture says a lot! I had thought the Tacoma to be much larger than the Marerick... hmmmm
I think maybe the angle I took the picture is a bit deceiving. The Taco is about a foot longer and a few inches wider.

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had 2004 and 2014 Tacoma's both great trucks but the Maverick ride quality and handling is superior to the Tacoma. Gas mileage was 20-21 with both trucks. I almost brought another Tacoma but after getting the Maverick glad I didn't.
What made you decide to go with the Maverick over the Tacoma?

MKEYAN31

First Name
Yanni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT (Lux, 4K, 360, FX4)
I'm having second thoughts about the Maverick. I work for Toyota and can get a sizable discount on a Tacoma. I ordered a loaded Lariat Maverick totalling around $36k. Am I crazy for not getting a well-equiped Tacoma for a couple grand more? I like the size and MPG of the Maverick. I currently drive a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with all the bells and whistles one could expect from a 2014. I want comfort as this will be my daily driver. We have a small camper and don't ever plan on upgrading size-wise. 4k towing capacity is plenty for us. I guess I'm just worried about the Maverick feeling cheap. I keep hearing about all the hard plastic in th interior. I'm also 5'1" and really like the idea of not having to climb my way into the truck.
I looked at plenty of mid size trucks, Tacoma, ranger, Colorado, new frontier and the Tacoma felt the cheapest and oldest to me. It was a Trd Pro as well. Maverick, especially a lareit will feel like driving a a German sedan compared too. I come from a 2017 Golf R and it feels just as well put together, not as fast, but just as wel planeted and put together. Plus it’s as fast of a GTI;) wait for the tunes too

Sponsored

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I'm having second thoughts about the Maverick. I work for Toyota and can get a sizable discount on a Tacoma. I ordered a loaded Lariat Maverick totalling around $36k. Am I crazy for not getting a well-equiped Tacoma for a couple grand more? I like the size and MPG of the Maverick. I currently drive a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with all the bells and whistles one could expect from a 2014. I want comfort as this will be my daily driver. We have a small camper and don't ever plan on upgrading size-wise. 4k towing capacity is plenty for us. I guess I'm just worried about the Maverick feeling cheap. I keep hearing about all the hard plastic in th interior. I'm also 5'1" and really like the idea of not having to climb my way into the truck.
If the extra price and overall size of the Tacoma don't deter you, this sounds like an absolute no brainer, get the Tacoma or maybe consider a Ranger?

And that's coming from someone whose last 4 new vehicle purchases have been Escapes, I've owned 14 Fords over the years, so I'm borderline Ford fanboi.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Am I crazy for not getting a well-equiped Tacoma for a couple grand more?
If you're in it for the long haul, I'd consider the Tacoma. It has its own shortcomings, but if you're planning on racking on 250,000 miles, that's what I'd get.

I like the size and MPG of the Maverick.
Same here! Another thing to keep in mind is that the Tacoma has a higher cab floor but about the same roof height as the competitors. The tradeoff with that is you get better ground clearance but the seats are mounted low like a car, so your feet are out in front of you.

The Maverick is a unibody and has more floor-to-ceiling space. The seats can be raised pretty substantially to the point that it's like you're sitting in a chair.

Well I would be at about 38k with discount as the MSRP for the Tacoma that I would special order with all the specifications to my liking would be about 44k.
Again, if you're going to keep it til the wheels fall off (or the frame rusts to death?) and you can live with its caveats, I'd get the Tacoma.

Its trany was under geared always had run it in extra pwr mode. Wobbly steering and it would slip straight to 6th gear and herky jurky nonsense every time in an slightest incline.
Pretty much sums up my experience with a Tacoma and why I chose to get a Nissan Frontier with the 4.0L V6. Sure, the gas mileage sucks and so does the back seat. But it was cheap to purchase. In the neighborhood of $10,000 less than a Tacoma of similar vintage and similarly-equipped.

And it's got metal bedsides, a metal bed tub, rear disc brakes, the trans isn't afraid to downshift and hold gears, and it's been largely unchanged since it's introduction in 2005, with the last major update being in 2012. Parts are everywhere and dirt cheap, and just about every problem is well-documented.

ffjack15

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The price and gas mileage the two biggest factors. Also the seating position in the Tacoma is not near as comfortable as the Maverick. The Tacoma's 4x4 is very good but awd is all I need. My brother has a 2019 Tacoma Fully loaded it doesn't seem much different then my 2014 Tacoma. My Maverick Xlt Awd 4k tow lux pak moon roof cost 30,900 you can't buy a Tacoma for that price.

LongshotXL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
I have the Tacoma for several more months on a lease. I ordered the Mav on a whim the day order books opened early June, no deposit, no risk. Will drive both a while and decide which to keep.

Sponsored

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
Every time I buy a new truck I think about getting a Toyota. The fact of the matter is, at the end of the day Toyota has a higher cost of ownership than domestic trucks. That is why you never see Toyota fleet trucks.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good advice - another thought: You are NOT comparing an "apple to apple"... sort of. It is like being in the military and putting in a requisition for a Bradley fighting machine - they write back and tell you a M1 Tank is available NOW and with a small hit to your Divisions budget. {forgive me Military folks - that's the best I could come up with!}:p
Stop giving the tankers ideas

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

RTR_Ford

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tacoma getting redesigned for 2023 or 2024 model as well.

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maverick also has a wider back seat then the competition (even the ranger). This was a major plus for me as I have three daughters.

If your going to do any off roading other then dirt roads, get the tacoma. If your a street queen/king get the maverick.
Sponsored