First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We know Toyota announced that they will be releasing a version of the Tacoma as a hybrid or even as a full electric!

It seems like it will be a while before it happens. How come Toyota never attempted this much earlier having a well established and pioneered the hybrid engine on their Prius and Rav4.

Will it be worth the wait? Will it be priced competetively like the Maverick? I think it will do well with the mpg but how about payload and towing at a lower price point?

Something to think about while at work!
They will no doubt come up with a hybrid Tacoma... sign me up. Let's see, they will tease it for 3 years... then announce it... and in 5 years it will show up on dealer lots with a $10,000 dealer markup. It'll still be huge, barely fits in the garage, and if we are lucky it will get 25 mpg. I shouldn't complain, their cautious approach has served them well... but I will have 100,000 miles on my Mav by they time I get a sniff of a Taco hybrid.
Sponsored

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A hybrid of a near at a near size and price? You bet. I've had three Fords in the past, but my best cars/trucks were Hondas, Toyotas and Datsuns.
The last Ford anyone in my family purchased was a 1972 Pinto Wagon, which actually was a great little vehicle. I have bought lots or cars, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura and BMW. Nevertheless, I am looking forward for the opportunity to purchase one of the first Ford Mavs.

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry, don't do Toyota, that's why I'm on a FORD MAVERICK forum. Why not go find a Toyota forum to post this on?

OP
OP
JsnMrd

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry, don't do Toyota, that's why I'm on a FORD MAVERICK forum. Why not go find a Toyota forum to post this on?
Uh huh..Sure..Whatever loser!

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Oh yeah! I've had a 73 wagon for the last 12 years. Great rig. Paid $500 for it. $38 for a complete tune-up, which I can do. That German 2.0 is awesome!

But yeah, I was a Toyota nut back in the day. Great rigs. Got my first full size and new Ford truck in 2000. F150 with the V6. Very, very reliable.

I think the Toyota reputation now is a hold over from the past. And slick advertising.

I doubt there is any chance they can compete with the Mav, which I feel is going to revolutionize the auto market.

The next Taco will likely be another over-priced, under performing success.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That begs the question. Why does Toyota hail their hybrids as if they are cream of the crop while Ford is basically giving it away? We know to some degree, it's the same technology but what's the catch?
Probably because the Toyota Prius came out with pretty much unbeatable gas mileage while Ford's first effort was the Hybrid Escape and mid-30's doesn't seem as impressive. So Toyota has all of the hybrid brand awareness from the 00's that it can fall back on.

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I daily drive a 2008 Toyota Prius with almost 200k on it. Been the best car I've ever owned. Little to no problems. My wife has a 2014 Toyota Prius C, we just crossed 50k on that one no issues so far.

I love Toyota. I want a Tacoma. Can't afford one. If they came out with a hybrid or EV, it for sure would start at least $10000 more than the Maverick. The Maverick is just the car built more for me. I am hesitant about leaving Toyota (who only have positive feelings for) and trusting a Ford (which I never hear overly positive things about when it comes to reliability). However, I've got the Maverick ordered and am mega excited.

OP
OP
JsnMrd

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh yeah! I've had a 73 wagon for the last 12 years. Great rig. Paid $500 for it. $38 for a complete tune-up, which I can do. That German 2.0 is awesome!

But yeah, I was a Toyota nut back in the day. Great rigs. Got my first full size and new Ford truck in 2000. F150 with the V6. Very, very reliable.

I think the Toyota reputation now is a hold over from the past. And slick advertising.

I doubt there is any chance they can compete with the Mav, which I feel is going to revolutionize the auto market.

The next Taco will likely be another over-priced, under performing success.
That's the thing I find with Toyotas. They're riding on their fame of having a reliable vehicles but they keep increasing their prices and their cabins all look un inspired and dated compared to other brands.

Hopefully the Maverick will give them a good wake up call!

OP
OP
JsnMrd

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I daily drive a 2008 Toyota Prius with almost 200k on it. Been the best car I've ever owned. Little to no problems. My wife has a 2014 Toyota Prius C, we just crossed 50k on that one no issues so far.

I love Toyota. I want a Tacoma. Can't afford one. If they came out with a hybrid or EV, it for sure would start at least $10000 more than the Maverick. The Maverick is just the car built more for me. I am hesitant about leaving Toyota (who only have positive feelings for) and trusting a Ford (which I never hear overly positive things about when it comes to reliability). However, I've got the Maverick ordered and am mega excited.
I'm super excited too! I just sold a fully loaded Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD and bought a 2021 Nissan Rogue Platinum. Both cars got all the high tech cutting edge and premium interior on it but I'm looking forward more to having the base Maverick on my driveway!

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used to have mostly Japanese cars, now I am about to replace my 2021 Subaru with Ford Maverick and there will be not a single asian car in my household, figures. Times change.
Yep, same here. Had a Toyota for many years and sold it running well with 275,000 miles on it, bought and sold several Subarus, and now have a Lexus. The Maverick came about because we had a Ford Escape Hybrid (the boxy one) in there somewhere and LOVED it. It had well over 250,000 miles on it, but it was cared for its entire life. Not a single issue and looked fantastic with minimal wear. We regretted selling it. Based on that we decided a Ford hybrid would be awesome, but really wanted a truck. Here we are.
All that to say, a hybrid Taco would be great (with an interior redesign), but most definitely out of our budget. I know they went only hybrid with their Sienna minivan, but I don’t see that happening with their trucks. Maybe they’d do a base hybrid and a step up turbo for their higher end models? Still probably $40k and I’d rather have a Lightning at that price point to not deal with gas or much maintenance.

Sponsored

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I think the part that go into a Ford and Toyota are all made by the same companies... the engineers on here will pounce on this if it isn't true. Toyota is good about moving very slowly and cautiously... and they think Atkinson Cycle engines paired with a hybrid system are a great combination. Ford has a great deal of experience with this system and their reliability has been very good... and I think the Mav design team is an impressive group of young Americans.

OP
OP
JsnMrd

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You must be what, 12?
You're the only one who acts like snotty toddler here giving rude comments unecessarily! Everyone here just want to celebrate this truck and you come out being jerk!

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used to have mostly Japanese cars, now I am about to replace my 2021 Subaru with Ford Maverick and there will be not a single asian car in my household, figures. Times change.
My leased Subaru has gone in for its fifth recall. Four for my Honda CRV. The service department at my Honda dealership cannot be trusted, I use a local mechanic. The engine on it has an extended power train warranty because of the 1.5L Turbo oil issues.

Japanese vehicles aren't more reliable any more.

OP
OP
JsnMrd

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The tides have shifted! It's the new era in the automobile industry! We're gonna usher in a whole new and improved Ford line up in our Mavericks! Lol!!!
Sponsored