Maverick or Tacoma

AbbatheHutt

First Name
Abbey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
I'm having second thoughts about the Maverick. I work for Toyota and can get a sizable discount on a Tacoma. I ordered a loaded Lariat Maverick totalling around $36k. Am I crazy for not getting a well-equiped Tacoma for a couple grand more? I like the size and MPG of the Maverick. I currently drive a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with all the bells and whistles one could expect from a 2014. I want comfort as this will be my daily driver. We have a small camper and don't ever plan on upgrading size-wise. 4k towing capacity is plenty for us. I guess I'm just worried about the Maverick feeling cheap. I keep hearing about all the hard plastic in th interior. I'm also 5'1" and really like the idea of not having to climb my way into the truck.
Sponsored

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Little research shows your truck has shipped right? Delivery seems to have been held up, but I would suggest driving it and seeing. Funny all the talk about truck interiors…for me if I could clean it with a hose I would, but it seems you are very close to being able to compare it to a Tacoma and see. If with the discount you get the Tacoma better fits your needs, Tacoma it is.

OP
OP
AbbatheHutt

AbbatheHutt

First Name
Abbey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Also, I really don't have much need for off-road but I do want 4 or all wheel drive. I ordered my Maverick with the fx4 because I want the black wheels. I plan on having this next vehicle for a long while. I want to get what I want. I'm just not sure If what I want is what I want. 😆

Maybe It's Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also, I really don't have much need for off-road but I do want 4 or all wheel drive. I ordered my Maverick with the fx4 because I want the black wheels. I plan on having this next vehicle for a long while. I want to get what I want. I'm just not sure If what I want is what I want. 😆
For me, the big draw of the Toyota is it is respected off road and it will last a very long time with basic maintenance. I won't be off-roading with the Maverick, so that is a non-issue. The longevity is an issue, but comparing prices, I can live with the Maverick not lasting to 200k miles.

OP
OP
AbbatheHutt

AbbatheHutt

First Name
Abbey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
For me, the big draw of the Toyota is it is respected off road and it will last a very long time with basic maintenance. I won't be off-roading with the Maverick, so that is a non-issue. The longevity is an issue, but comparing prices, I can live with the Maverick not lasting to 200k miles.
But if the price was the same you'd go with the Tacoma? That's my issue. I like the styling and size of the Maverick but I can get the dependability of the Tacoma for the same price with my discount.

Reactions: TCK

Sponsored

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hahaha- that is how it always goes innit? Here in California I have zero need for AWD, I believe I have driven where I could see snow twice in my life (just not my thing). The black wheels are super cool, and well, I reckon Indy has different driving conditions than NorCal. I say drive it when it gets there- if it doesn’t do it for you ya lose nothing right?

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm having second thoughts about the Maverick. I work for Toyota and can get a sizable discount on a Tacoma. I ordered a loaded Lariat Maverick totalling around $36k. Am I crazy for not getting a well-equiped Tacoma for a couple grand more? I like the size and MPG of the Maverick. I currently drive a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with all the bells and whistles one could expect from a 2014. I want comfort as this will be my daily driver. We have a small camper and don't ever plan on upgrading size-wise. 4k towing capacity is plenty for us. I guess I'm just worried about the Maverick feeling cheap. I keep hearing about all the hard plastic in th interior. I'm also 5'1" and really like the idea of not having to climb my way into the truck.
Sizable discount on the Tacoma and your at 40 grand? That’s no discount that’s Highway robbery!

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 2 things that the maverick has going for it is the price and hybrid gas mileage, once you eliminate those 2 factors the maverick makes no sense

OP
OP
AbbatheHutt

AbbatheHutt

First Name
Abbey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Sizable discount on the Tacoma and your at 40 grand? That’s no discount that’s Highway robbery!
Well I would be at about 38k with discount as the MSRP for the Tacoma that I would special order with all the specifications to my liking would be about 44k.

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
comparing this vehicle to a 44k Toyota is apples to oranges, but I think you still ought to drive it. We are Ford people here and have been for years- as far as dependable all of them have gone well over 200k miles and we drive them into the ground. My folks get the same results without ever doing maintenance on time (sigh)…anyway, again, you have nothing to lose driving it

Sponsored

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I leased a 2019 taco terd (Toyota TRD) and returned it in you years.

its dainty for sure.
With your thumb you can dent the fenders. Its trany was under geared always had run it in extra pwr mode. Wobbly steering and it would slip straight to 6th gear and herky jurky nonsense every time in an slightest incline. 17mpg street 23 fwy at best. Back up seniors sucked at sensing anything that came to a point.

Its electronics was soso no car play on those but they have it now.

Its an over rated truck
Also a bs service warranty that wants your truck in every 6k but won’t change your oil till every 12k miles and still say they are giving you 4 services Total Ripoff this is a Toyota thing and the service center can’t do it any other way.

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tacoma has a proven track record. If you can afford it, that may be a better option for you. Resale is excellent.

I disagree that the only thing going for the Maverick is mileage and price.

I have been waiting a long time for something like this. I occasionally need a truck but mostly need a car that I can also haul my dogs around in. I also need to flat tow a car behind my MH every summer.

The Maverick hybrid is perfect for me.

OP
OP
AbbatheHutt

AbbatheHutt

First Name
Abbey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I've had more truck-buying jitters than I ever had wedding jitters. Must be too much time to think about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCK

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid