fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
No, you did, Sir OP.
Just google Toyota hybrid. Nothing substantial yet. Just a concept.
I already had.... I found the same thing you did - Nothing.

Now, please, point to documentation or stop posting.

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
My 2019 Tacoma has been the worst vehicle I have owned. It is up to 7 unscheduled maintenance visits in 20,000 miles. It is a shop queen. Sits in my driveway because after 2.75 years, I can't stand it and most of the issues remain unresolved. I don't really put much into perceived reliability much any more.
That's a bummer :( I got a 98' Tacoma from my stepfather almost new, for a steal of a deal. It never "broke" per say, but I wore that thing completely out in only 125K miles. On my last smog check, it was so close to not passing, the mechanic had to play all around with it, to get it to squeak by. And he told me, this "will not pass smog" two years from now. You might want to think about selling it fast, or getting ready for a complete motor rebuild :( I chose to sell it fast.

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Yes, cruise control is an absolute joke on my Tacoma. It also holds the lower gear way too long after the hill levels out. The powertrain is downright frustrating for daily driving. The howling rear differential. The ridiculous amount of interior rattles, especially when the weather turns anything less than 45 degrees F. The scary soft brake pedal, of which they claim nothing is wrong, just to name a few.
Anything less than 45F and I'm looking for a new place to live ! :) LOL

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's because the current BoF of the Tacoma dates back to beginning development around year 2000. It was introduced for the 2005/6 model year for the 2nd generation and was massaged for 2016-current 3rd generation. They are slowly making the move to their new TNGA-F platform for BoF vehicles. The new platform will have electrification baked into the design to accept such technologies. Keep in mind the current Tacoma is a heavy vehicle, just about the weight of modern half-ton fullsize truck in some instances. It is currently underpowered, especially for low end torque. I couldn't image it with any of their new "Dynamic Force" 2.0 or 2.5 NA engines or even their RAV4 Prime powertrain to be honest.

I would NOT wait for Toyota, unless you knew they were about 8-12 months out. They are a slow and frustrating brand to follow, especially if you like new and modern things. You would be waiting until 2024/2025 until next generation Tacoma. Pretty sure Tundra, Sequoia and 4Runner are all in line first to get the new chassis architecture. Expect the Tacoma to get more expensive for 4th generation.
Isn't the 4Runner based on the Tacoma?

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Nope. It shares with the Land Cruiser Prado, which is not sold in North American market, from what I recall. That’s why it doesn’t share production space at the Tacoma manufacturing facilities. I believe all current 4Runner’s are made in Japan.

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
They share nothing. Different engines, transmissions, interiors. I had a 2019 Tacoma and it was a massive POS.
Sponsored