Sponsored

JB4 with Snow Water Methanol Injection

Woody27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No thanks
I run 70% distilled water and 30% methanol on my twin turbo Mustang. I use mine mainly to cool the cylinders to help control knock, but a nice side effect is this will keep the intake valves clean as brand new on a Maverick.
I was wondering about the potential cleaning effect. Do you attribute the cleaning effect primarily to the methanol?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Canyon Racer

Canyon Racer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been working on getting everything ironed out with this system and finally yesterday it all came together. This is the first data log with the JB4 and the WMI. I'm happy with the results so far. The JB4 learns as it goes so I expect some of these parameters to smooth out. I have been running without the WMI for a few weeks and It does do a good job of learning. I need to figure out a timing app or get Dragy for some performance data but I know it's faster with additional boost and timing.
Ford Maverick JB4 with Snow Water Methanol Injection 1st data log with wmi

More to come.

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know people will ask… does it increase MPG 🙄

OP
OP
Canyon Racer

Canyon Racer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No increase in MPG. you can turn it off and run in eco mode and still maintain stock fuel economy. I do this when towing because It already gets worse mileage and I don't need the extra performance. I can get about stock MPG on the 1st tune if I'm staying out of the throttle but all of the other tunes are increasingly aggressive with boost, fuel and timing.

Sponsored

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
do you have pics of the engine bay and how it looks when installed? Also did you order direct or someone else?

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
Canyon Racer

Canyon Racer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
do you have pics of the engine bay and how it looks when installed? Also did you order direct or someone else?
I had the Snow water/meth kit leftover from a Torque Tech kit I didn't end up using it on and I bought the JB4, wireless connect kit and FSB controller from Burger Engineering. Terry at Burger sent me an email when I ordered that he would be my best point of contact because the Maverick is a Beta product. It took a little work and some back and forth to get it all sorted out. I sent multiple data logs to them to get the WMI integration working. If I hadn't put so many zip ties and installed the WMI at the same time it would have been a 1/2 hour or less install.
Ford Maverick JB4 with Snow Water Methanol Injection 1645856229211

Last edited:
OP
OP
Canyon Racer

Canyon Racer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is a better view of the last data log I posted. Ignition advance seems good and only drops when the transmission is shifting. Max boost at the end of the log is 24.3 psi. This log is also a 0-60 of 5.9 indicated MPH which is actually 0-63.1 with my tires. The more adjustments I make the more I like this!
Ford Maverick JB4 with Snow Water Methanol Injection 0-99 redo

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine should be here tomorrow. Pretty excited. I’ve never had a JB4 before but the community around it seems great

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been going back and forth between menthanol injection, methamphetamine injection, and methadone injection.

The methanol and methamphetamine both give me a pretty good speed boost -- each in their own special way.

But I've settled on the methadone. It makes everything seem to run so much smoother that it's hard to keep from nodding off.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

People "complain" about alcohol in gas, yet people here are doing it on purpose! Ethanol has more power, more btu than methanol. I know they are not the same but are close cousins. Running higher than 10% (about 40% ran great) in my stock everything, I got about 7-8% more horsepower and I didn't spend a dime on any hardware or software. MPG down, sure. But the extra horsepower is helpful towing. I don't need better 0-60 times. 😜

This was in my Escape. But I would expect similar in the Mav.

The MAIN difference between a regular engine and a flex fuel engine? A computer tune.

Last edited:

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

People "complain" about alcohol in gas, yet people here are doing it on purpose! Ethanol has more power, more btu than methanol. I know they are not the same but are close cousins. Running higher than 10% (about 40% ran great) in my stock everything, I got about 7-8% more horsepower and I didn't spend a dime on any hardware or software. MPG down, sure. But the extra horsepower is helpful towing. I don't need better 0-60 times. 😜

This was in my Escape. But I would expect similar in the Mav.

The difference between a regular engine and a flex fuel engine? A computer tune.
I am only replying to this just to see if the OP comes back with some updates on his system or ideally drag strip results. (Draggy is better than nothing.)

But regarding your last sentence, in a word, no. Flexfuel / E85 vehicles have larger injectors and sometimes higher volume fuel pumps.

Irrelevant regardless as this thread is about spraying a methanol/water mix to lower the intake charge temp. This is not in the fuel system.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Your Ford you have now has injectors capable of injecting up to 32% more fuel than neat gasoline stoichiometric ratio. Since ethanol has about 35% less energy, you need to inject more. Thus you can run "mid grades" of ethanol; up to about really 70% with stock equipment. Full flex vehicles come with larger injectors. Many times, it's not needed.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Some WWII piston aircraft injected water into the combustion chamber for cooling. Also some jets do this. Also, water turns to steam, and hey, steam expands to produce power too. See "water injection".

1. automotive, aviation) The process of squirting a small amount of water, in the form of a fine spray, into the air/fuel mixture going into a gasolinepiston engine, in order to cool the engine cylinders, and, thereby, reduce detonation or knocking in high performance engines, especially when using a high compression ratio.
  2. (aviation) The process of squirtingwater into the combustion chamberof a jet engine to allow it to produce greater thrust, partly from the production of high-pressure steamand partly from the cooling effect of the water allowing the engine to burn a greater quantity of fuelwithout overheating.
Sponsored